PDA

View Full Version : Help with Old Detroit Tiger Hats

misteremu
04-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello,

I picked up these two older Detroit Tiger hats for $1 a piece at an antique store in Monroe, Michigan. I was wondering if the vintage hat experts could tell me if they are store model (which is what I assume), and the aproximate age and value (if any) on these hats. I have attached pictures, and will also try to describe them as best as I can. Both hats show a lot of wear and tear.

Hat #1 (one with the larger "D"): Unstructured (I had to put a balled up t-shirt in the hat so I could photograph hit). "D" appears to have been glued on and is a felt type material, exterior bill length at center of cap is about 2.5 inches....no interior tagging left, underside has a military colored green bill, leather band with about a 3.5 inch elastic strip in the neck area. Blue colored metal eyelets (on both interior and exterior). Size 7 or smaller I am guessing.

Hat #2 (one with smaller "D"): Unstructured as above. "D" is a white "D" sewn over a blue "D" which both seem to be sewn on another backing. Exterior bill length at center is approximately 3 inches...no interior tagging left, underside has a more of a rich green color than the hat above. Leather band goes about 3/4 of the ar around with a stip material finishing of the interior of the hat. Eylets are metal and blue on the outside and unfinished or silver on the interior. Size 7 or smaller I am guessing.

Thanks for any input on these hats...I guess for a $2 investment they at least make nice display pieces.

Eric

mjkm90
04-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I have the second hat you picked up as well. They are definately not professional hats. It is very tough to date them exactly since neither has labels, but by the style of the cap we both have I would date them from the 40s or 50s. I could be off 20 yrs. since the brim is a little on the short side which is typical of earlier caps.

suave1477
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
As far as the one with the plastic strip on the inside I can assure you that was a retail hat and most likely the other one is too.
I wouldnt date them as far back as the 40's or 50's.

When I was a little kid I don't remember exactly how I got (Probably a gift or something) but I remember having the same exact baseball cap with the plastic on the inside and it was a Mets cap and it looked just like the one your showing except for it being Mets vs. Tigers.

And that was in the 70's

misteremu
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I appreciate all the input! At least I know they are pre-1980!

Thanks,

Eric

Vintagedeputy
04-11-2007, 06:13 PM
They could be Redman hats

misteremu
04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I am quite ignorant when it comes to hats...what are "Redman" hats?