PDA

View Full Version : Uniform/Jersey Collections - store or display?

hiramman
04-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm looking for some feedback on what some of the others are doing with their collections of jerseys and uniforms. I know many of you have many jerseys and uniforms in your collections. Do you display all of them or have them in the closet? I'm trying to find out what others are doing. I've got a few jerseys hanging in a locker display, but have gotten worried about dust ruining or staining the tops of the shoulders where they hang on the hanger for long periods of time.

I also have one nice flannel Yankee pinstripe. Do I need to worry about moths? Does anyone store their jerseys in clear garmet bags? Does artificial lighting fade the jerseys? Does UV lighting damage jerseys like they do autographs?

Any ideas and solutions?

Swoboda4
04-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Untill I figure out how to properly download photos,here's what I did with items I had belonging to one player. With no real intent ,I found myself with a g/u jersey and then two g/u bats belonging to robin ventura. You now become on the lookout for additional items that can round out a shadowbox collection. I have a 4' x 4' x 5" homemade shadowbox,,hinged at the top(plexiglass and pine to keep it as light as possible.) I then acquired white g/u pants w/ripped dirt stain. Pants hanging vertically on the left w/2 bats also vertically in front of them.Jersey on the right with 4 PSA rookie cards at the bottom right with a newspaper article on foamboard. Now a game used batting glove or Topps signed contract will finish this presentation off perfectly.
I have a similar accumulation of items for Viola,Burntitz,Payton. But sadly,all too few walls in the downstairs family room

kylehess10
04-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm looking for some feedback on what some of the others are doing with their collections of jerseys and uniforms. I know many of you have many jerseys and uniforms in your collections. Do you display all of them or have them in the closet? I'm trying to find out what others are doing. I've got a few jerseys hanging in a locker display, but have gotten worried about dust ruining or staining the tops of the shoulders where they hang on the hanger for long periods of time.

I also have one nice flannel Yankee pinstripe. Do I need to worry about moths? Does anyone store their jerseys in clear garmet bags? Does artificial lighting fade the jerseys? Does UV lighting damage jerseys like they do autographs?

Any ideas and solutions?

If there isn't any more room for jersey's in my cases, I first get a thick plastic clothes hanger (I get mine at Big Lots for $2 each). They give it a small 3-D look. Second, I get a plastic cover which I get for free at my local dry cleaners. I put a few pieces of clear tape on the bottom to close it up so no dust gets in and it's a great alternative holder:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/ward005-1.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/ward007.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/ward004.jpg

hiramman
04-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Space is also a problem that I have, that's why I was wondering what some of the other collectors are doing. I know some collectors have 10, 20, 30+ jerseys and was wondering what they do. I've got maybe 10-12 jerseys with some just being common players, but a few are really nice and I'm just worroed about maintaining their quality and value.

kylehess10
04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Space is also a problem that I have, that's why I was wondering what some of the other collectors are doing. I know some collectors have 10, 20, 30+ jerseys and was wondering what they do. I've got maybe 10-12 jerseys with some just being common players, but a few are really nice and I'm just worroed about maintaining their quality and value.

Good question. Well here's a pic from another thread from darylv1. He puts them on what looks to be a simple straight clothes rack. Seems perfect for someone who has a lot of jersey's.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Edarylv1/IMG_2124.JPG

RKGIBSON
04-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I keep about 50 of my favorites displayed, folded, in a upright case with a sliding door. I usually have 6 maniquins on display that I change the jerseys on pretty regular. The remainder of my jerseys I keep in a cedar chest. I do not leave this room exposed to outside light very often.

Everything that I have mounted in picture frames are behind UV protective glass. I don't worry a lot about dust. As long as they are clean and dry that come off easy

The maniquins can be bought from National Equipment in Kansas City, MO. They sent me a catalog and were easy to do business with.

Roger

gatorcollector
04-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Mine were in the closet until I took over the bonus room upstairs a few months ago. Baseball and basketball on one side, football on the other.

hiramman
04-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Some very nice displays. Thanks for the photos Kyle, Roger, & gatorcollector. I'm sure everyone loves seeing how other collectors display their collections. Anymore ides and/or photos?

skyking26
04-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Jerseys are the most difficult to display because of display space and the large amount of room they take up. I have 4 individual jersey cases on the wall for 4 fav's, the rest unfortunately are in a plastic bag in my closet until I come up with some alternatives...

dcrules01
04-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Here is mine all Mets.I have since aquired more and yes space is a problem :)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey010.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey009.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey008.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey007.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/pedrojersey006.jpg

dcrules01
04-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Swoboda I would love to see that collection..Burnitz and Ventura were 2 of my favorite players..I use photobucket.com for all my pics..Its easy to use if you need any assistance give me a shout..

Untill I figure out how to properly download photos,here's what I did with items I had belonging to one player. With no real intent ,I found myself with a g/u jersey and then two g/u bats belonging to robin ventura. You now become on the lookout for additional items that can round out a shadowbox collection. I have a 4' x 4' x 5" homemade shadowbox,,hinged at the top(plexiglass and pine to keep it as light as possible.) I then acquired white g/u pants w/ripped dirt stain. Pants hanging vertically on the left w/2 bats also vertically in front of them.Jersey on the right with 4 PSA rookie cards at the bottom right with a newspaper article on foamboard. Now a game used batting glove or Topps signed contract will finish this presentation off perfectly.
I have a similar accumulation of items for Viola,Burntitz,Payton. But sadly,all too few walls in the downstairs family room

PK
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I keep about 50 of my favorites displayed, folded, in a upright case with a sliding door. I usually have 6 maniquins on display that I change the jerseys on pretty regular. The remainder of my jerseys I keep in a cedar chest. I do not leave this room exposed to outside light very often.

Everything that I have mounted in picture frames are behind UV protective glass. I don't worry a lot about dust. As long as they are clean and dry that come off easy

The maniquins can be bought from National Equipment in Kansas City, MO. They sent me a catalog and were easy to do business with.

Roger

Roger, i went to the web site but do not see any maniquins that have broad shoulders like yours...do you have anything extra under your jerseys to broaden the shoulders?

Thanks

Matt

GoldenSportsCollection
04-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Long time reader, 25 year collector, first post. Nice sports rooms. Here's my example of a proper college football display. Please copy and paste this link;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/deaconshawni/album/576460762396210013

Enjoy, Shawn

www.goldensportscollection.com (http://www.goldensportscollection.com)

dcrules01
04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice collection ...Are all the helmets and jerseys game worn?? Is hat Marion Barber hangin on your wall ;)

GoldenSportsCollection
04-02-2007, 08:10 PM
All the jerseys are game worn, w/ the exception of a very few that were worn preseason (for a couple NFL jerseys). All the helmets were game worn w/ the exception of the 1972 Hawkeyes which was a helmet lamp at one time. I had my friends at Helmet Hut put in the suspension. It'll do till I can find a gamer.

And yes, both of those are Marion Barber game worn jerseys on the wall. One from his Gopher days, and one Cowboys rookie jersey.

Thanks for the kind words! Shawn

beavisrules
04-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Shawn, sweet display - in fact, great ideas from everyone. Where did you get the frames that you have the Barber jerseys displayed from? thanks

jonincleve
04-03-2007, 07:56 AM
i put some in display cases and others i hang under plastic on a wire rack that was purchased from lowes/home depot. the racks are nice because you can put hats or balls on the top display shelf.

take care
john

dcrules01
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Thome with the Crews Olin patch....Very nice Indians collection..That Thome is awseome...

thomecollector
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
John,
Is that a Thome game use with Olin/Crews patch ?
Roger

RKGIBSON
04-03-2007, 06:35 PM
PK

I have shoulder pads on the forms. The forms I have the most of are the #82/S.

I got the best price on new pads from Dick's Sporting goods. I bought the Bike Viper's in L & XL.

Football jerseys just do not look right without the shoulders being filled out properly.

Roger

jonincleve
04-04-2007, 06:15 AM
yes, it is a 1993 game used thome. i started collecting some of his things back in 1995-1997. a lot of the stuff is gus bell, buddy bell, david bell. the braves jersey is a 1963 milwaukee braves gus bell jersey that i need to restore. basically i collect solid players who played in cleveland, who are not going to screw up and play baseball the correct way. buddy bell, jim thome and now grady sizemore.

take care
john

jdr3
04-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I have found that dowels are very useful for displaying basketball jerseys.

thomecollector
04-05-2007, 06:41 PM
That's cool. I have his '95 World Series home jersey. It's awesome !Check it out. I've been collecting him for over 10 years. Thome is all I collect. Roger

hiramman
04-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Wow, some awesome photos, awesome displays and some beautiful jerseys. I love seeing everyone's collections. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks Roger for the heads up on the manaquin info. I've already gotten a catalog and hope to order a few shortly.

RKGIBSON
04-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Hiramman,

I had a local banker today tell me of a guy that somehow gets all the used maniquins from department stores. He says he has hundreds. I will should have his name and contact info next week. I'll post it whenever that happens, after I get some first of course.

Roger

hiramman
04-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Roger!

That sounds great.

eGameUsed
04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Here are some pictures from my Astros Room of the House. I have about 160+ bats on display at any time, 30+ jerseys, and other items. I utilize Mannequins, locker style rack, a frame my father made, and a few just hang on closet doors. Attached are pics from the four corners of the room and some close-ups:

thomecollector
04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Chris,
Are those all Astros bats ? Any Thome in there ? Roger:)

Kid4hof03
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Chris,
Thanks for posting your pictures. Your room is great, really well planned and displays amazingly.

Abe

eGameUsed
04-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Chris,
Are those all Astros bats ? Any Thome in there ? Roger:)

Roger,

No Thomas bats at the moment! I used to get a lot of Indians items, but once he moved to Chicago it became more difficult for me. Ton answer your question - 99% of the bats in the room are Astros. All the bats hanging vertically around the room (125 to be exact on all 4 walls) are Astros bats dating from 1962 to 2007. The ones in tubes on the wall include some 500 HR/3000 Hit Club members, but also some of the more unique Astros bats such as 2004 Clemens, 1983 Ryan, Bagwell 399th HR Bat, and photomatched bats of Carlos Beltran and Craig Biggio. All displays have been custom made by my father.

Thanks for the compliments!

eGameUsed
04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Chris,
Thanks for posting your pictures. Your room is great, really well planned and displays amazingly.

Abe

Thanks Abe! I have a very understanding wife!

hiramman
04-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Question for those of you with jerseys in the shadow boxes. What's the best way to attach the jersey to the back of the shadow box without damaging the jersey?

eGameUsed
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
The shadowbox I have has a built in hanger with the jerseys hanging free. I can post detailed upclose photos later.

geoff
04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I would have to say Chris that is a great looking room.I want one just like that.Hopefully one day i will have a nice looking display room for myself.Geoff

ultimetfan
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi

Dcrules01, is that hundley gamer available for trade?

LMK

Thanks,
Jessie

dcrules01
04-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Its not a gamer its an authentic that I had sent out to Stitches (Russ Gompers) in place of a future gamer that I am looking for.Here is a list of my gamers that I have in my collection
1986 Dave Magadan Home
2002 David Weathers tbc
2006 Darren Oliver tbc w pants
2006 tbc cap Chris Woodward
2004 NY Cubans Todd Zeile w pants
2006 game issued NY Cubans cap
2006 NLCS pinstripe Michael Tucker
2006 NLDS road Michael Tucker
2006 game issued David Wright all star BP
1999 tbc 69 uniform Armando Beneitez
2006 Home Randy Nieman 9-11/Mets 40th patch
1986 Randy Nieman home BP jersey im waiting on
In the process in the next month of geting the 86 road Rick Anderson and im waiting on the home jersey for Howard Johnson that he wore on opening day...

Id like to see your collection....