PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Rasied Letters?

b.heagy
04-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Question about Adirondack bats. Just picked up an example that has All lettering foil stamped into the wood - Except the signature on the barrel of Willie Mays, the letters are raised. First example I have come across, was this a common issue or just a 1 year deal? Help is appreciated.

JimCaravello
04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Bill - can you post some pics or send them to me at jcaravello@nc.rr.com - thanks, Jim

b.heagy
04-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi Jim,
Tough to get a good picture as the black has worn off the signature. Here is what I ended up with.

JimCaravello
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi Bill - is this a pro-model bat, or a store bat? Its hard to tell from the pics - I have seen Adirondack lettering come off that was even with the wood - in essence, not really stamped in that much. The elements could have caused the signature to raise a little over time - lots of possibilities here - the bat looks pretty weathered........I don't think I have really seen an Adirondack where the letters have actually raised - or were stamped raised - my guess is that mother nature counter acted with the stamp and agents in there and caused it to raise over time - really hard to see from the pics though. Sorry I am not much help

Anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks, jim

b.heagy
04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi Jim,
It's a 302 1951-57 label period bat. It is tough to see but when tilted in the light a very faint 34 is stamped on the knob. Has some grain swelling and green bat rack marks.. thought I had a gem for a moment. It is an odd piece since none of the other lettering is raised. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

JimCaravello
04-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Bill - sounds like a store bat for sure. What probably happened was that batches of bats were made in 33", 34", 35", etc. lengths and the barrels were not stamped with players names initially. After the initial imprints were done for the centerbrand and barrel - they came back and added "star" players names and most likely used a different process to add those names. Great thread - thanks for the initial post - Jim