PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About A Mets Game Used Jersey

suave1477
01-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Dear Members I Have Recently Purchased A 1986 Ny Mets Darryl Strawberry Batting Practice Jersey From A Reliable Source. The Jersey Has All The Signs Of A Authentic Used Jersey ( Accept For 1 Thing ) On The Sleeve It Has A The Anniversary Patch Which Was Told To Me They Were Put On The Jerseys And Batting Practice Jerseys / Can Any One Clear This Up For Me If It Is True Or Shed Some Light? I Do Appreciate It

kingjammy24
01-06-2006, 01:56 AM
While I'm sure a Mets expert would have much more insight, here's what I know about 86 Mets jerseys:

- the Mets did have a 25th Anniversary patch on the right sleeve of their road and home jerseys.

- Their road and home jerseys in 1986 were made by Goodman.

- The Mets had at least 3 styles of BP jersey in 1986. One was a "home" BP - blue with orange "METS" on the front, made by Goodman. Another was a "road" BP - blue with white "METS" on the front, also made by Goodman. The third was a half-zip, pullover with collar trim and Mets logo sewn on the left breast. These were made by Starter and had the names sewn on the back and numbers sewn on the right shoulder.

See picture below. (Note the last 2 images of the "zip neck" bp are NOT from 1986).

I may be wrong but I don't believe they sewed the "25 yr" patch on any of the 3 styles of BP jersey. Can anyone correct me?

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/5091/mets9uo.jpg

Rudy.

Swoboda4
01-06-2006, 05:26 PM
They had the anniversary patch on the windbreakers and custom Starter jackets,but I don't recall seeing it on a "batting practice" jersey. Download a photo if you can.

metsbats86
01-06-2006, 10:59 PM
The blue pre-game mesh jerseys made by Goodman in 1986 DID NOT have the 25th aniversary patches. Only the home and road Goodman game jerseys had them. Nice research Rudy! (once again)

David

Attached is photo of 3 Rick Anderson GU jerseys from 1986. Home white, Pre-Game road playoff , Road Grey. Note the Pre-game does not have the 25th anniversary patch.

Swoboda4
01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
David-Very nice Anderson stuff-very nice(golf clap).Excellent photo.
Robert

Swoboda4
01-07-2006, 12:09 AM
David-Your Anderson pre-game warm up jersey ,does it have a set tag to the left of the Goodman label? Is it your opinion that 86 warm-up jerseys have them? thanks
robert

metsbats86
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Robert, Thanks.

The regular 86 Goodman pre-game did not have the strip tag as did not the home white or road grey Goodmans. This particular pre-game is one that was specially made for the 86 Playoffs and WS. The strip tag you see reads SET P 86. This strip tag was present on the 86 Road greys and home whites used during the 86 NLCS and 86 World Series too.

Regards
-David

metsbats86
01-07-2006, 12:38 AM
suave1477:

Can you post pics of the Strawberry jersey w/ the patch? I'm guessing it may be a retail jersey sold to the public back in 86 at the Shea concession stands.

-David

island_style
01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
I had Sid Fernandez' '86 Goodman home pre-game, and it also does not have the anniversary patch on the sleeve. It might even be the jersey El Sid is wearing in the photo that Rudy posted (don't know how many sets of home BP tops were issued).

suave1477
01-08-2006, 01:14 PM
dear metsbats86/ david I showed pics of this jersey to american memorabilia who are reputable dealers and they felt this jersey was authentic they told me also during the 80's majestic made bp jerseys for the mets / i can send you pics of it - please include an email address and ill send you some pics and let me know what you think

hblakewolf
01-08-2006, 02:07 PM
dear metsbats86/ david I showed pics of this jersey to american memorabilia who are reputable dealers and they felt this jersey was authentic they told me also during the 80's majestic made bp jerseys for the mets / i can send you pics of it - please include an email address and ill send you some pics and let me know what you think

You start off by noting that the folks at American Memorabila are "reputable dealers". Please reference past posts on the Game Used Forum that were started by the "reputable dealers" at American Memorabila who used a fake name to try to discredit fellow Froum Readers (name used Col. James Rast). It was proven that the folks at American Memorabila used a fake name, and furthermore, never responded to Forum requests as to why such unprofessional and unethical behavior was employed.

What type of authentication experianece and knowledge does American Memorabila have to put you or any collector at ease about your Mets jersey? What was the process used by them to inform you that the jersey is "authentic". If memoray serves correct, many items these folks have offered in past autions have raised red flags about authenticity on this site, flags backed up by photo evidence from Rudy and posts from fellow Forum Readers backed by solid evidence (photos, same year of jersey in a collection, etc.). Correct me if I'm wrong, however, isn't Lou Lampson one of their authenticators? Did he also sign off on this?

Based on yur informaiton, I would not be sleeping any easier.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
01-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Howard,

Long time no speak. I'm still searching for any picture of Jeter while in Japan using the Mizuno glove in a game that you sold in Mastro for, how much?, $9 or 10,000...Let me know if you ever come across one...

Thanks,
Dave

metsbats86
01-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Please feel free to me email me any pic of the Straw jersey to metsbats86@aol.com

Regards
-David