PDA

View Full Version : Joe Namath N.Y. Jets Jersey on Ebay

beantown
04-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this? It was listed last week with the auction ending early and now it's re-listed. I've asked the seller several questions about the jersey with no response.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Joe-Namath-durene-game-jersey-Jets_W0QQitemZ130098444995QQihZ003QQcategoryZ86829 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eric
04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I am actually slightly familiar with this jersey.

Last year I had a deal with our friend Mr Scott Robinson- that's right, the Scott Robinson who is on the forum selling all the Saints items (not the person currently selling the Namath on ebay) for some Chargers jerseys.

I bought some chargers jerseys from Scott, and never received them. He said they were sent back to him because no one signed for the package. I live in a building with a 24 hour doorman, so that is likely not true. That has never happened to me as long as I have been here.

He then claimed to re-send the package and said he would send the tracking number. He never did and the package never arrived.

I told him I wanted my money back. He said to give the package a few more days because it was on it's way, though he still was not giving me a tracking number.

Then I finally received a package from him and it was this Namath jersey that apparently he purchased from Broadway Rick. He said to make up for the "lost package" he was sending this instead.

Maybe he was actually trying to make good on the situation, but it made me furious because I never asked for this jersey and now I had to take my own time and money to send a possble Namath gamer (who I don't collect) with a clubhouse signature (which he acknowledged) back to him. And it was my responsibility to get this back to him intact.

(A piece of advice- if anyone finds themselves in this position, contact the buyer to see if the replacement is suitable before surprising them with it.)

I sent it back and continued to try to get my money back. The guy did not respond after numerous attempts. I then told the guy who's paypal account we used for the transaction (a store owner) that the owner used him to scam me out of my money. Magically my refund arrived via paypal days later.

BUT- at the time, the seller told me the Namath jersey was purchased from Broadway Rick's Strike Zone.

He also told me that the autograph on it is thought to be a clubhouse signature and not the real thing.

A few months ago this Namath jersey was being sold by an ebay seller in the northwest. The listing did not mention that the signature was thought to be fake, so I emailed the seller and did not hear anything.

Now this Namath jersey pops up again from this seller in Wisconsin. The first time they had it listed I told them what I knew about the jersey and the autograph and did not hear a response.

Sorry for the long answer, but that's my story. Maybe Mr. Robinson can answer some questions about this jersey, he's he's familiar with it as well.
Eric

jdr3
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Don't touch this jersey. Any number 2 on a dureen jersey from Namath's tenure with the Jets should have a diagonal slant from top right to bottom left as the pictures show. This goes for front, back and sleeve numerals.

beantown
04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I am actually slightly familiar with this jersey.

Last year I had a deal with our friend Mr Scott Robinson- that's right, the Scott Robinson who is on the forum selling all the Saints items (not the person currently selling the Namath on ebay) for some Chargers jerseys.

I bought some chargers jerseys from Scott, and never received them. He said they were sent back to him because no one signed for the package. I live in a building with a 24 hour doorman, so that is likely not true. That has never happened to me as long as I have been here.

He then claimed to re-send the package and said he would send the tracking number. He never did and the package never arrived.

I told him I wanted my money back. He said to give the package a few more days because it was on it's way, though he still was not giving me a tracking number.

Then I finally received a package from him and it was this Namath jersey that apparently he purchased from Broadway Rick. He said to make up for the "lost package" he was sending this instead.

Maybe he was actually trying to make good on the situation, but it made me furious because I never asked for this jersey and now I had to take my own time and money to send a possble Namath gamer (who I don't collect) with a clubhouse signature (which he acknowledged) back to him. And it was my responsibility to get this back to him intact.

(A piece of advice- if anyone finds themselves in this position, contact the buyer to see if the replacement is suitable before surprising them with it.)

I sent it back and continued to try to get my money back. The guy did not respond after numerous attempts. I then told the guy who's paypal account we used for the transaction (a store owner) that the owner used him to scam me out of my money. Magically my refund arrived via paypal days later.

BUT- at the time, the seller told me the Namath jersey was purchased from Broadway Rick's Strike Zone.

He also told me that the autograph on it is thought to be a clubhouse signature and not the real thing.

A few months ago this Namath jersey was being sold by an ebay seller in the northwest. The listing did not mention that the signature was thought to be fake, so I emailed the seller and did not hear anything.

Now this Namath jersey pops up again from this seller in Wisconsin. The first time they had it listed I told them what I knew about the jersey and the autograph and did not hear a response.

Sorry for the long answer, but that's my story. Maybe Mr. Robinson can answer some questions about this jersey, he's he's familiar with it as well.
Eric

Interesting...I never even thought about questioning the signature as the "red flags" with me were the numeral fonts...especially the #1, the apparently crooked nameplate and the manufacturer. Did Macgregor manufacturer N.Y. Jets jersey from the Namath era? I'm familiar with Sand Knit and Champion...

BarryMeisel
04-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi everybody,

This very questionable jersey was discussed at gameworn.net, and a member posted what he said was a reply from the seller. Here is what was posted:

"Ok here's what I can tell you.....I know nothing about jerseys so I asked a collector that does......so here's what I know.....it appears that the the jersey had a #54 on it and the 12 was put on after, but there is repair stitching after the 12 was put on, I think we counted 20 sewn repairs. The Namath name plate is mesh and not durene, the but the size and tagging all matches. I was told it was common to recycle jerseys and use them over again, the collector thought it defineately is a game jersey......but not sure if Namaths game jersey, could possibly be Namaths practice jersey....sorry it took a while to respond, but I wanted to find out from someone who knows more about this stuff. Hope it helps you out."

Regards,

Barry Meisel, MeiGray

deacs86
04-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I find it hilarious that Eric ( also known as Mr. Stengel) refers to me as "Mr. Robinson" on the forum, yet all of his relentless emails to me refer to me as "Hey man"...maybe he should be as polite as professional in his personal emails to me as he is on the forum....as for the Namath jersey on ebay i did acquire that jersey a long time ago from Broadway Rick's Strikezone as a game used Namath..i knew right away when i got it that it was not...i traded it away a long time ago to a card dealer out in the northwest, and have no idea its journey since then...on a different not, NONE of the Saints jerseys in the current AMI auction were mine, and were never mine...they belong to my friend who owned a shop who was run off by forum members and thier constant battering of his 100% quality jerseys...you will not see him again on the forum, and this will be the last post I will make on the forum..I agree with other collectors and dealers that have left the forum and its community for a variety of reasons...i wish everyone the best of luck in their collecting endeavors, and will continue my pursuit of great jerseys off the forum and from individuals who do not relentlessly scrutinize and target other collectors items...the forum has provided alot of positves for me, but the negatives from certain posters and repeated emails to me about items that have not fully investigated and done thier research on is not worth the aggravation...good luck to all, and thanks to those people that I have met through the forum and both traded and bought and sold items to..i will continue that positive relationship off the forum with those individuals;)

Eric
04-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I find it hilarious that Eric ( also known as Mr. Stengel) refers to me as "Mr. Robinson" on the forum, yet all of his relentless emails to me refer to me as "Hey man"...maybe he should be as polite as professional in his personal emails to me as he is on the forum....as for the Namath jersey on ebay i did acquire that jersey a long time ago from Broadway Rick's Strikezone as a game used Namath..i knew right away when i got it that it was not...

Hey man-
You didn't mention that fact when you tried to dump it on me...

And the relentless emails are unfortunately relentless because recently items being questioned end up having something to do with you. It upsets me that so many of the items you have been offering forum members have questions and end up having to have revised descriptions. Remember the Jamarcus Russell jersey went from game used to issued, after I pointed out to you there were patches missing. And the Manning rookie jersey you tried to sell forum members had the wrong color 98 tag. And you never did get back to me on if you still have yours. I could go on if you wanted me to...

NONE of the Saints jerseys in the current AMI auction were mine, and were never mine...they belong to my friend who owned a shop who was run off by forum members and thier constant battering of his 100% quality jerseys...

Scott- there's nothing wrong with questioning things are are questionable. Did you forget the Reggie Bush jersey which he claimed was from the game versus the giants and had the wrong tagging? And what about the reggie bush helmet with the wrong facemask? Not exactly 100% quality.

Eric

suave1477
04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Well here is my thing letting me know this Jersey is not authentic putting aside the autograph and the fonts.

And im surprised no one else picked up on this (Remember I am going by what we all see in the pictures provided) and maybe Eric can chime in on my comment as he at one point had this Jersey in his possesion.

But the #12 and the name on the back look completely clean and untouched, for a Jersey that looks like it has taken a beaten and the sleeves have turned color to an off white (even if that is the actual color off white / as im not familiar with that era of Jets Jerseys) still the number and name should show some good wear and color have turned a bit even if it was put away in a closet it would still not be a crisp clean white while the rest of the Jersey is beat up.

Just my 2 cents...:rolleyes:

Eric
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I honestly don't remember what the numbers looked like. I was so angry at getting this jersey instead of a refund for the jerseys I never got that all i could think about was how to get it back to Scott Robinson, insured safely on my dime.

I think i did take photos of it (in case this because a lawsuit) but those pics would be on another computer.

Just anouther questionable piece yet again making its way around the hobby. I hope the person who buys it knows what they're getting.

worldchamps
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I can't believe you would say that you knew as soon as you got the jersey it was not real so you got rid of it. You tried to dump it on a customer (eric)??? Did you not try to contact Broadway Rick?

So who did the incorrectly signed and tagged Reggie Bush jersey end up with?

otismalibu
04-08-2007, 07:18 PM
"Whoever questions my jerseys before collecting men, I will deny the pleasure of seeing want ads for my iffy pieces" - ;) 10:33

G1X
04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Gentleman,

My post has nothing to do with this particular Joe Namath jersey. What I would like to point out, however, is to clarify the font issue stated in post #3 by jdr3. Joe and the Jets did not always use the style as described in jdr3's post as they wore a more traditional serif-style font circa 1965-1967 where the "2" did not run at a diagonal slant. The two attached photos of Joe show him in a home and road jersey wearing the older serif-style. The style described by jdr3 was definitely in use by the 1968 season.

I'm not picking on jdr3 or anyone else here, just trying to provide accurate information, especially in this forum that seems to have less input on the football side of the house and tends at times to be not completely accurate on football-related issues.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

beantown
04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
This Namath jersey appeared many years ago in a major auction house...same size as the one listed on Ebay, but different manufacturer and numeral fonts....just an FYI...

EndzoneSports
04-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Gentleman,

My post has nothing to do with this particular Joe Namath jersey. What I would like to point out, however, is to clarify the font issue stated in post #3 by jdr3. Joe and the Jets did not always use the style as described in jdr3's post as they wore a more traditional serif-style font circa 1965-1967 where the "2" did not run at a diagonal slant. The two attached photos of Joe show him in a home and road jersey wearing the older serif-style. The style described by jdr3 was definitely in use by the 1968 season.

I'm not picking on jdr3 or anyone else here, just trying to provide accurate information, especially in this forum that seems to have less input on the football side of the house and tends at times to be not completely accurate on football-related issues.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Mark:

Spot on and thanks for the correction!

As I'd pointed out in another thread, "In addition to our duty to share information that may be helpful to other collectors, comes the need to share that information responsibly. In my nearly two decades in this hobby’s pursuit, one absolute that I have established is that nearly nothing is sacred. Fonts vary, tagging inconsistencies exist, color variations occur. In offering advice to others, we need to be cautious in the application of absolutes—“always” and “never” are indeed true rarities in this hobby and should be seldom used. About the only absolute in this hobby is that nothing is absolute."

Regards,

jdr3
04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
here here!

Eric
04-09-2007, 12:52 PM
With all of that said, i'd love to get help on my early 70s john hadl rawlings chargers jersey. they changed the numbers many times in that era. who's up for it?

beantown
04-09-2007, 06:01 PM
With all of that said, i'd love to get help on my early 70s john hadl rawlings chargers jersey. they changed the numbers many times in that era. who's up for it?

I'll take a shot...

lund6771
04-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Beantown....did you break into Lampson's house to get these pictures out of his 10 million photo library?

nice work!!!

Eric
04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
nice pics-
any chance you can put them in here?
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3806&highlight=hadl

beantown
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
nice pics-
any chance you can put them in here?
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3806&highlight=hadl

done....here are some other players from the Chargers during the same era...