PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Nylon Durene Jerseys

beantown
04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
These are being sold at The Pittsburgh Steelers Team Store ....

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/product/37472/

Does anyone here see this causing a problem in the hobby/industry?

lund6771
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
oh...oh!!!

Eric
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice catch. Lambert jerseys made out of the same material as the 1970s jerseys. I wonder if we're going to start to see more 70s Steelers jerseys popping up...

beantown
04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Nice catch. Lambert jerseys made out of the same material as the 1970s jerseys. I wonder if we're going to start to see more 70s Steelers jerseys popping up...

These have actually been out for some time...and more Steelers jerseys have been popping up, which is a cause for concern....

lund6771
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
no need to wonder Eric...it's a guarentee

Eric
04-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Maybe we should look for some pristine white stitching around tags and see what comes up......

Utopian2630
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
They've had those jersey's on the market for some time. I remember seeing a Mel Blount and Bradshaw around Christmas time at the Steelers Outlet store. What's scary about them, is that they are all fairly long in length and have the 'designed exclusively for the steelers tag' on them with no other markings whatsoever. When I asked about the availability of other players, they mentioned they were some sort of 'new, old stock' from the original manufacturer of the original jerseys and basically whatever players they had were it.

I'm curious to see what happens with these as well, I almost picked up the Blount but I couldn't justify the price for a retail (albeit a very nice retail) jersey.

Eric
04-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Has anyone been able to compare first hand- right in front of them (not photos) the similarity or differences between the materials of these stock Steelers jerseys and the real thing from the 70s or 80s?

Is the material exactly the same? Is it more sheer/less sheer? Heavier/lighter?

Eric
04-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Also, do they sell home jerseys only, or away too?

Utopian2630
04-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Since its a slow day at work today, I called the Steelers Store and inquired about the vintage jerseys.

According to the woman I spoke with, they are NOT available in away white and were currently limited to the stock on hand (Lambert is currently the only one left). She mentioned that they had previously had other players in stock like Blount, Harris and Bradshaw but not Swann nor could Swann be ordered. She also mentioned that it was the same manufacturer as the original game jerseys of the 70's using the same materials and manufacturing process. Also scary is that she mentioned that they were going to be doing custom jobs in the future so I suppose come training camp, maybe be on the look out for Shell's, Greenwood's or White's to come around.

Eric
04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Odd question- Do we think they come at a standard length? Or can length be added?

Utopian2630
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Actually, I asked that question too (along with long sleeves) and she said that they could put in a special request to the manufacturer for stuff like that. She said they've gotten special requests in the past but didn't know as to whether or not they've filled orders with those requests.

Eric
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
It doesn't matter if they can add length or not. Plausibly, someone can buy one of these jerseys, add length themselves as well as a year tag from a common player- make it look like the proper tags are missing/were once there and you've got yourself a very valuable patchwork Steelers Hall of Fame jersey.

This truly is scary.

flaco1801
04-10-2007, 03:13 PM
they will pop up, just as all the game ready yankee jerseys that were allowed to be shilled on this forum. jeff

beantown
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
It doesn't matter if they can add length or not. Plausibly, someone can buy one of these jerseys, add length themselves as well as a year tag from a common player- make it look like the proper tags are missing/were once there and you've got yourself a very valuable patchwork Steelers Hall of Fame jersey.

This truly is scary.

Yes, they can do all of that and wouldn't doubt if it's been done already. In years past, the few Steelers jerseys I remeber seeing and having, never had extra length added to them...this has been a recent trend and is a major cause for concern....

steeltownjerseys
08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
These jerseys were sold in very limited quantities. The Lambert was more available than any others. I personally own the Harris and Greene, and it is amazing how similar it is. I was able to compare it to some actual game worn 70's jerseys at the Steelers museum, and the material, font , etc. is identical.
These jerseys were made in Berlin, WI and have the Steelers exclusive tail tag.
They are not making any more of these, and they can't be custom ordered. the custom throwbacks are made by Reebok.
I bought this jersey because of the rarity, and vintage feel. None of them had long sleeves.
The players that were released were
Blount
Harris
Bradshaw
Greene
Lambert
All but the Lambert are extremely rare, and collectible in their own right.