PDA

View Full Version : Auction Houses - Maximum Bids vs. Winning Bids?

otismalibu
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd be interested to see a list, by auction house, where members post what they won their item for and what their max bid was.

No need to identify the item...just the numbers.

RobSteinmetz
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
I thought this post was important enough to copy to a new thread in the regular 'discussion' forum. I'm very interested in seeing other people's replies.

otismalibu
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey, who's my ghost writer? I mentioned this in another thread, and voila it's here in this section.

I've only ever bid on two items thru auctions houses, so I'm assuming there are different bidding systems throughout the hobby?

The last one I bid with, used a proxy bid system like eBay. So I bid my max but I could win the item for less...which I did. The first one was a GFC auction years ago. I don't recall thme having the same system.

Which ones proxy bid and which ones just jump the bid to your number?

otismalibu
04-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I guess I should have given MY two numbers.

Grey Flannel Auction
I called in my bid and then like a newbie, kept checking the website to see if there were any updates. I called back for an update and I was told I was outbid. So I went higher. I did this again later that evening and was again told I was outbid. I bid once more and said I won't be bidding again. I won the item with that bid for around $425.

P. Weiss Auctions
I bid a max. of $750 and won the item for $700.

JimCaravello
04-10-2007, 06:26 PM
What's really nice to know is that if you bid a max bid in a Game Used Universe Auction - it will not be bid up just to raise revenues and increase fees. I won the Mattingly bat in the recent auction and my max bid was not even reached - far from it. If I am not mistaken, the auction ended 30 minutes after the deadline, which means that there were only a few calls under the 10 minute rule. What a breath of fresh air!! I will continue to consign and bid in any future GUU auctions!! Jim Caravello

Blake
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I bid on and won several items from the GUU auction. I was pleasently surprised that my ceiling bids didn't get pushed up to their limit. Also, by listing and updating the current bid status, the extended bidding period was fairly transparent. With the level of expertise in this forum, I felt very good about my bids and ultimate purchases. I'm looking forward to the next GUU auction! Gerald Lee

earlywynnfan
04-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Within the past 6 months, I've won items from Vintage Authentics, Steve Verkman (Not GU), and Fusco's that did NOT sell at my maximum bid price.

Ken