PDA

View Full Version : Lou Lampson Story...

beantown
04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Several years ago I sent an item to auction house "X" that I wanted to consign for an upcoming auction...here is how the story goes to the best of my recollection....

The authenticator for that auction house, Mr. "X" didn't like the item...I asked the auction house for the authenticators contact information so I could speak to him directly about the issues he had on my item...

I spoke to the authenticator, who was very open and we had a nice discussion. I informed the authenticator that I could provide photographic evidence to support my claim and contradict his....

I sent hard copies of numerous publications to this authenticator to support my argument, which after he reviewed, thought my argument was more justified, however wanted to consult with another authenticator....

Guess who that was....Mr. Lampson...

My items and all the photographic evidence was forwarded to him from the initial authenticator for his review and he wrote a COA stating that my item had more "cons" than "pros"...

I tried to contact Lou telephonically to ask about what he wrote, but he never answered his phone or returned messages...this happened for several months....and this was a very high priced item!

I knew my ONLY chance to catch up with Lou was at the National, which I would be attending....

I showed up on the first day, track him down and introduce myself. He was neither rude nor polite but seemed scattered as he ran from booth to booth examining items…

At some point he pulls out my item, unsecured from underneath a table along with all of my publications and turns them over to me....no apologies for keeping my item "hostage" for several months...moreover, my very expensive item was littered with some sort of animal hair!!!

I try to engage Lou as why I can contradict his concerns and he didn't seem to care and stated something to the effect..."What do you want me to do, write a letter?"

Here I am with the alleged #1 authenticator of game used items and I think I've stumped him with my arguments on why I think my item is good and instead of sitting down and going over things like the professional he claims to be, he just wants to write a COA to end the discussion...

I continue to walk around the National with my item and run into someone I have dealt with in the past....he examines my item and my photographic evidence and offers me cash for my item....I also inform this person that Lou doesn't like it....

A deal is struck on my item and I leave with $$$ in hand, shaking my head at this whole Lampson experience....

Side note...I believe Lampson held this against me as he turned down another item of mine for a different auction house....I worked with MEARS through photographs and MEARS graded the item an A9....thanks Lou!

I will personally not buy any item based on Lamspons COA!!!

lund6771
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Wow...it goes to show that he'll take your money whether he likes the item or not...

After seeing all the bad stuff that he's authenticated lately it got me thinking....when an auction house is getting ready for their next auction, how does Lou authenticate the items?

It wouldn't make any sense that the auction houses are sending him the items...the cost for postage and insurance, both ways, on all the lots would be incredible...we saw a post that Lampson was in Minneapolis visiting VA...I'd be willing to bet that he goes to the auction houses' place of business and looks at all the items there...

if that's the case, what is he using for reference?...does he bring his 8,000 pics with him in a briefcase?...It sure doesn't add up

sylbry
04-18-2007, 08:05 PM
WAIT A MINUTE! You say you have actually seen Lou Lampson! Did you take a picture? I would ask if you got his autograph but let's face it, his signature is worthless.

ironmanfan
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I think the most amazing part of this story is that Lampson actually deemed an item bogus..

ripkengamers
04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Here's the latest regarding my "green" Ripken jersey...........

I recently returned a Ripken (#8) batting practice jersey to Bricol Sports Auction after a fellow forum member and friend determined that it was a minor league BP jersey and not from the bigs. I called and talked to Brian and he said to send in the jersey with information to support my claim. After I sent in the jersey I received a call from Shannon at Bricol and she needed the contact information for the forum member who informed me that the jersey was not legit. She said that "Mr. Lampson" will be coming in to authenticate the items in their upcoming auction within the week. I thought this would be a good opportunity for her to show Lou detailed photos of my "green" jersey and his lengthy and detail LOA with his signature on it. She said she would gladly show Lou the photos and get back to me.

Well.....................its been four weeks, 5 emails to Shannon and low and behold...............no reply! I wonder what gives??? She originally was more than happy to have Lou review the photos and let me know his reaction.............and now not a peep! I wonder how much Lou paid her to keep her mouth shut and forget she even saw the photos or heard of me!

ballofbases@hotmail.com
04-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Dan,

I have also been having some trouble with Bricol Sports Auction. I purchased a jersey from them that came with two letters of authenticity from Lou Lampson (who would have guessed). I'm not sure exactly why there were two. After doing some checking around and looking at other game used jersey's I noticed the jersey I had purchased did not match the ones that had been used in games. I discovered this through looking at baseball cards, online pictures, and getty images from that particular year. I then decided to send the jersey to another auction house and see what they said about the jersey. They had Lampson look at it and he deemed it to be a game issued jersey and not a game used jersey. Why were his letters with Bricol saying game used??? I was thoroughly confused by now. I contacted Brian several times through email and he would still not return my money after showing him pictures and the fact that I had sent it to another auction house to seek their opinion. Any suggestions??? Has anyone else had any problems with Bricol???

Thanks.

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

obeyone10
04-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I will pay for a picture of a Lou Lampson Photo...there has to be somebody in the industry who has a photo of him or one of him signing one of the tens of thousands of LOAs.
Bryan Oberle
obeyone10@aol.com

psmachetti
04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
[quote=beantown;37974]
I try to engage Lou as why I can contradict his concerns and he didn't seem to care and stated something to the effect..."What do you want me to do, write a letter?"

My response to that would've been , "Yeah , why not, you write letters for everything else you look at asshole!"
Paul

kingjammy24
04-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I will pay for a picture of a Lou Lampson Photo...there has to be somebody in the industry who has a photo of him or one of him signing one of the tens of thousands of LOAs.
Bryan Oberle
obeyone10@aol.com

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5589/fugitivexu9.jpg

rudy.

lund6771
04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
rudy..... you're killing me!!!...you should be in advertising

both-teams-played-hard
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
The holy grail.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9721/lamponsofthelostarkta6.jpg