PDA

View Full Version : An autograph story

sylbry
04-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Here is a story from the weekend.

Dick Stigman, former Indians, Twins, and Red Sox pitcher was signing autographs at a local grocery store. He came to my elementary school way back in the day so I have always been fond of him. A couple of years ago I bought a game bat of his by posting a want ad on this forum. I want to say Chris Boyd sold me the bat.

Anyways, I was busy that day so I asked a coworker who lived nearby to get it signed for me. When he showed the bat to Mr. Stigman he was shocked. He couldn't believe someone had his old bat and asked where my coworker got it. (Unfortunately he couldn't answer most of Mr. Stigman's questions.) Mr. Stigman went to to tell him about his hitting skills, took a couple of swings with the bat, signed it and inscribed "1960 All Star", and then asked my coworker to show the bat to his wife and children who happened to be eating in the store at the time.

After showing the bat to his family the store manager insisted on taking a photo of Mr. Stigman, my coworker, and the bat. She emailed my coworker the photo and I have posted it. Here is the note she sent to him too.

"Eric,
Attached is the picture of you and Dick. It's been a great story to tell the company about the "Stigman Bat", everyone is pretty impressed! Thanks for making it to our event. Go Twins!"

Just thought I would share.

Bryan

dcrules01
04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Nice story its ashame you didnt get a chance to meet him....