PDA

View Full Version : Authentication

wrestlecon
01-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I was just wondering who you would send a jersey to be authenticedted. Whose LOA is the standard or most valuable. I obtained alot of shirts recently that are slam dunk gamers, but no letters. Any help would be appreciatted.

apujols04
01-08-2006, 03:10 AM
The best thing to do is to get multiple sources of opinions, and pay for those opinions if necessary. Many people on this site mention MEARS, GLOBAL, PSA, JSA, LAMPSON, etc. Also, auction houses can have the item authenticated at no cost to you if you are willing to give them as much as 32.5% of the final price.

suave1477
01-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I would suggest GREY FLANNEL they are about the biggest in the field for authenticating game used items.

hblakewolf
01-08-2006, 01:55 PM
In regard to LOA's, you can wipe your rear with most of them.

Unless it is from the team, an individual who purchased an entire set/years jerseys, or a noted expert on a specific team, forget about the Grey Flannel, Lampson, etc. LOA's. How many posts and threads have been written on jerseys that are not legit, however, have these LOA's?

I suggest the original Forum poster further add what jersey he desires to have authenticated. Several readers on this site know much more about a specific team,league, etc. than the folks at the autneitcation firms. Both Teams Played Hard knows an amazing amount about basketball, Rob Steinmetz Cubs, etc. Likewise, I'll be more than happy to assist FREE OF CHARGE with any Phillies related item. By providing some additional info and some photos of the jersey in question, I have no doubt we as a group can provide the needed information, free of charge and also base our findings on facts.

As I always say, do your homework and forget about wasting your hard earned money on these worthless LA's.

Just my thoughts.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

EndzoneSports
01-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I was just wondering who you would send a jersey to be authenticedted. Whose LOA is the standard or most valuable. I obtained alot of shirts recently that are slam dunk gamers, but no letters. Any help would be appreciatted.

It would seem to me that you feel quite confident about the autheticity of the jerseys without said letters? If you are planning to keep the jerseys, what value would such documantation add? Are you going to be even more confindent in thier authenticity with LOAs in hand. If not, paying for this service will only be a financial drain.

If, on the other hand, you are planning to sell the jerseys, you also have a couple of options availavle without breaking your pocketbook. First, consider consigning to a major auction house and let them have their "hired guns" handle the pre-auction authentication, which is typcially done in bulk (and at much lower cost to them than you could get it done for a few pieces). Secondly, if you'd prefer to sell outright to individual collectors, try to seek out and deal with more experienced, knowlegable collectors. These folks, in general, have the ability to do their own homework and won't get nearly as hung up on having someone else's opinion/signature on a piece of paper as will the less experienced collector who is not capable of ensuring their own due diligence.

Regards,

trsent
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
As I always say, do your homework and forget about wasting your hard earned money on these worthless LA's.

Wait, Howard, my friend!

What is worthless to you may be priceless to the next guy. ;)

Swoboda4
01-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I second The Wolf's suggestion. No matter how good ONE company's LOA is it wouldn't compare to downloading a photo,ask your question and then letting the experts(and very knowledgable amateurs) weigh in. Print the thread out and attach to item-end of story. At this point unless YOU see the jersey coming off the back of the player,you can't bet your life on it.
As one very good authenticator stated in open court,"This business is very much a leap of faith." If that's the case(for peace of mind) I rather get the opinion of many than one decent well intentioned person. To get multiple professional opinions would, as was just said, end up costing as much as the item.

Jules:"You're sending in The Wolf?......That's all you had to say!"
Pulp Fiction