PDA

View Full Version : Autographed Joe Sewell model LVS bat

brianborsch
04-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Hello all,

So as states earlier, I picked up this LVS Joe Sewell signature model bat. Now from what I understand, when louisville slugger makes replicas or player models the bats will have attributes that aren't like an original game issued bat, however this bat has no numbers or stamps on the knob and the 125 is NOT underlined. It is unused and in almost perfect condition, so how is this possible? Anyone?

Brian B

brianborsch
04-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey, so here are some pics to show what I am talkin' about. Let me know regarding my questions above...

vintagesportscollector
04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
This ain't my area of expertise, but LVS makes replicas without the 125 underlined. There are examples on ebay and the web to see. Aside from that I don't know much about these replicas.

MSpecht
04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Hi Brian--

Generally, the replica bats will be made of a lesser quality wood, and the branding will often be consistent with the date of manufacture or a hybrid type of stamping made to resemble the branding of the day. The barrel brand on your bat is consistent with the mid-30s to mid 40s period, which overlaps with Sewell's career (1920-1933), however no semblance of the center label on your bat appeared until more than 30 years following the end of Sewell's career.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

brianborsch
04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
I see, that makes sense. What kind of center branding did they have beck when Sewell played? I assume the font is different as well as what is branded. I am just glad that they made the bat to closely resemble his own at the time. He is my favorite player and I was stoked that it was also auto'd. My new fav bat in my collection.

Hey, a part of the bat is not finished (towards the handle area), would it decrease the value of the bat to get it all refinished? That would mean I would put a coat even over the first finishing which would cover the auto. You would still see the auto, it would just be under the finish. Would this decrease the value of the bat?

Brian B