PDA

View Full Version : Mets 86 Umps lineup card question

Swoboda4
01-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Maybe Dave and the 86 Mets experts can help with this. I recently won a 86 Mets home game Umps lineup card, 7-30-86 vs Chicago(Eckersley w/win)at Shea. Card for Mets is the blue visitors version though. Craig from Lockeroom5,with a great record w/e-bay stated it happens occassionally that a club will submit the wrong card and the ump will use it. Any thoughts about these cards(from all clubs) now being very available from differant sellers.
http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/dc/f8/3c_1.JPG

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198607300NYN

suave1477
01-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I have actually won a couple myself. These are easy to get a hold of and sell bcuz they have not yet become an item of demand it is more just a novelty item, but I am sure very shortly these will become in demand as they keep getting sold and eventually people will want them apart of there game used collections

kingjammy24
01-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Swoboda,

Hopefully my $0.02 may add some insight. I've recently been seeing these lineup cards available on ebay for games in the late 80's.
Two in particular, from the Blue Jays, interested me. As you did, I checked out the boxscores to make sure the cards were accurate and they were. What ultimately prevented me from purchasing them was the manager's signature at the bottom. Cito Gaston was the manager at that time and I'm pretty familiar with Cito's signature. The signatures at the bottom of the 2 cards weren't close enough to what I knew of Cito's signature for me to be comfortable buying them. They may very well have been authentic, I simply didn't feel comfortable with the signatures.

Does the signature on the Mets card look good? That's probably one of the biggest clues if the card is legit.

Rudy.

Swoboda4
01-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Rudy-Davey johnsons signature is on the mark. I was just concerned that the Mets used an "on road" blue version of the Umps card when at home,an error,but was told that this is not unheard of. Never having collected them before I wanted to see how others felt. I agree that these will soon capture more peoples attention,especially important games. I just thought the 86 card would look great matted with an auto photo of Johnson filling out a lineup card which I have. I'm guessing the home plate Umps have saved these and are now selling them.
Robert