PDA

View Full Version : Mike Schmidt Game worn final jersey --- Grey Flannel

skyliner59
04-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Grey Flannel has included in their current auction a supposed game used 1989 Mike Schjmidt (Final Jersey). Several months ago I was offered this jersey and showed it to Dave Bushing who verbally told me it was not authentic for several reasons. I am not an expert in regards to determining the authenticity of jerseys, so if anyone would like to take a look at this one here is the link. http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/
Also, in the description it states distinctly "Final Jersey Worn". But in the description it states, "We were told that this was the last jersey Schmidt wore in the big leagues in 1989." With no documentation, how can you make that claim. JUST A THOUGHT!!!!!

skyliner59
04-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Correction: In the title it states (Final Jersey Worn)

hblakewolf
04-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Skyliner-
Can you elaborate on yur discussion with Bushing-what specifically did he indicate was not correct with this?

Did you pass this info onto Richie Ruzzek or anyone at Grey Flannel? If so, what was their response to yoou?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
04-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Skyliner-

As noted earlier, I'd be curious to know why Bushing did not like this particular jersey?

I have seen two other "1989 road Schmidt's" in the past, and both had problems with the nameplate being incorrect. In 1989, the first year the Phillies introduced the grey jerseys, the letters used on the nameplate were wide/thick. Then, in 1990, Rawlings incorporated a "thinner" version of the same type of lettering.

Both of the "1989 game worn Schmidt's" I've seen had the 1990+, thin style lettering, when they should have the thicker.

I have a 1989 Phillies grey Pat Combs that has the standard thick lettering, as it should. I also have a grey nameplate from a Wes Chamberlain road jersey that was used in 1991, with the thin lettering. I'll post a photo of the two types later today.

My concern with any 1989 road grey Schmidt, based on my provious experience and the two I've seen, would be the fact that the nameplate has the incorrect size lettering.

The photos of the Grey Flannel nameplate are not big enough or close enough for me to make an educated statement. Should a closeup be provided, I'll be more than happy to render an opinion.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

hblakewolf
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Forum readers:

As promised, please see the examples of the various styles of lettering/plates on the Phillies road grey jerseys, below:

The COMBS is a 1989. The Chamberlain plate was from his 1991 jersey. The Phillies only used the "fat" style lettering on th 1989 grey jerseys, then changed to the thin style. Notice the difference with the size of the C

As noted, I've seen 2 "1989 road grey Schmidt's" with the thin lettering. Both were also autographed. Likewise, both had the lettering a bit "puckered" and the plate had the same puckering (a dead giveaway).

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
A fellow Forum reader forwarded a photo of the nameplate on the jersey in question. The photo below compares a known 1989 Combs with the "1989 Schmidt" plate.

Although it's possible that a different size/style of lettering was used on the Schmidt, this is the first time I've ever seen this happen on any 1989 road grey Phillies. I purchased several dozen 1989 grey jerseys directly from the team, and every one had the same size and style lettering as the Combs.

It's also interesting to note that the boarder around the edges of the Schmidt plate have a "puckering". Again, this is not the norm for 1989 plates I have seen, and the Combs clearly shows a different boarder that is free of the puckering.

Possibly Skyliner can update us on what Bushing's concerens were on this particular jersey.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

skyliner59
04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Howard, The nameplate, and stitching around it, were one of the main concerns that Mr. Bushing had with the jersey. You hit the nail on the head. He was also concerned with the stitching in and around the tagging in the collar. For what it is worth another prominent auctioneer, whose name I will not mention in this thread, had the same issues with this jersey. All irregardless of the claim that it was Schmidt's "last game worn jersey".