PDA

View Full Version : My Two Cent On Grey Flannel

RKGIBSON
04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
I have never met Rich Russek in person but have dealt with him since the mid 90's. I have bought, consigned and sold to Grey Flannel. Every one of these has always been a good experience. Last week I bought a couple of 97 Florida jerseys, Fred Taylor and Mike Peterson. He FedX'ed them, along with a few other to examine. I kept the ones that I wanted and FedX'ed the others back, with a check. How many other companies will do that. I suppose the fact that I have been a customer for years and have a good relationship with Grey Flannel may lend me some previleges. It does say something about them too.

I discuss items in almost every auction. My most common question is, where did this jersey come from, what do you know of is the history? I am alway given the answers I need to make a decision. I pass on the ones that I don't get the answers I am looking for. I just don't bid. I do not believe Grey Flannel knowingly consigns jerseys that are not authentic. I have personally raise questions on items, presented my contentions, heard his and beleive they have always done the right thing. Rich has called and questioned me on my consignments. Has sent 2 back to me over the years saying he was not comfortable selling them. Given his thoughts, I was OK with why. If every item gets the scrutiny that mine do I beleive the effort is good.

I discussed, with Rich, last week about trying to present more pictures and give more specific details on each item so collectors can do their reasearch. He was receptive to this and understands the "game used" collector is more demanding today. GUU has given collectors a forum to tap into the knowledge of many and changed the hobby.

All in all Grey Flannel is one of the two auction companies that I do business with regularly. When I sell, I am paid for all items, that are paid for, in 30 days. That is better that anyone else I do business with.

Attached are the two Florida jerseys. I was able to photo match the Taylor.

Roger

hblakewolf
04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Hello Roger-

I responded to another Forum reader's post about the 1989 road grey Mike Schmidt jersey in the current Grey flannel auction. I included information about the two types of nameplates that I've seen used on thse grey jerseys, and my experience with other Schmidt grey jerseys in the past.

I have a customer who has been seeking late 1980's Schmidt equipment, and may have interest in the 1989 road currently in the Grey Flannel auction. Before telling my customer to bid, however, I'd like to be assured that the nameplate is the correct style. As such, I emailed the folks at Grey Flannel, and asked for them to provide me with a close up of the plate. As of this post, I have not heard back.

You note, "I discussed, with Rich, last week about trying to present more pictures and give more specific details on each item so collectors can do their reasearch. He was receptive to this and understands the "game used" collector is more demanding today". Can you follow with Rich or someone at Grey Flannel and post a photo of the plate here, or have them update thhei listing on the auction site with a closeup of the plate?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

karamaxjoe
04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Roger,
I would like to know Rich's thoughts on the Ted Williams jersey in the present GF auction. MEARS has a very informative thread on their website about how they would not authenticate the jersey. I would hate to spend thousands of dollars on a jersey that is potentially fraudulant and I would hope Rich would feel the same.

Mike

RKGIBSON
04-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Howard,

I spoke to Rich and he has agreed to send the Schmit photos to me. He said he was in the process of reasearching and evaluating the jersey as he is aware of some controversy around it. I ask him if he minded if I post them on the forum and he said that would be OK.

Everyone else,

I did not start this post to become a liason between forum members and Grey Flannel. I talked to Rich about some of the things that have been brought up in the last couple of days about his unresponsiveness to questions. He says it is simple, "these people are not customers of mine. If they are registered bidders then I am obligated to them, just as I am doing with you now". Frankly, I agree with him. I feel that I am wasting his, and my time, as I am not interested in any of the baseball stuff that we talked about today. I do beleive it is important to weed out the corrupt companies that purposely sell fraudulent items and work with the guy that are unaware of mistakes. That is why I am involved.

I find that I always have better luck talking on the phone about a item, no matter who's auction its in, than email. The email is very impersonal and you do not really know who you are communicating with, or what their adjenda is, like this forum. The amount of info covered in a 5 minute phone conversation would take me at least a half hour to respond to in email. In my business I do not respond to emails that take more than a couple paragraphs, unless it is a person that spends money with me. Time is money, in any business.

Roger's Mediation Service:)

mvandor
04-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Frankly, IMHO Rich is sorely lacking in business sense, and you are coming across like a shill for him with your post.

I had a run in with him earlier this week over one fraudulent and one misrepresented item I saw when looking at the GF auction. I mentioned it on another thread. He was very rude to me in email reply, alienating a LIKELY FUTURE CUSTOMER. I had several items I was tracking and intended to register to bid (I have not used auction houses before and was interested in landing my first game used to add to an otherwise extensive NFL collection). His behavior, as well as his lack of any minimal effort to properly list or authenticate these items, convinced me to look elsewhere.

To his credit, he removed the fake and corrected the other listing, but neither action erases the wrongs involved.

Glad your experiences with him were positive. Mine was not, and given his repetition of his dislike of email in this day and age, and his abrasiveness with unregistered potential customers, I think his business growth at minimum is being impaired, if not GF's reputation.

RKGIBSON
04-24-2007, 11:00 PM
MVandor,

I suppose by "shill" you mean I'm a front or cover for him? Not quite. I don't like everything Grey Flannel does either. As a serious, registered, buyer, I would like to see more pictures. I would like the web site pictures to enlarge. I would like to see the physical aspects spelled out better, so I don't have to ask. At the end of the day it is Rich's business and he can run it how he likes. If I don't like it, like you, I don't have to participate in it, and won't. No matter what they have for sale.

I read in your other post that you want a Chargers game used. I guess you know you can buy "game used" directly from the team store? You can go to NFL.com and the Chargers always have "game used" for sale. You do have to register there to bid also.

If you want rude, email NFL auctions and get a response from them, if they bother. The NFL has the worst pictures to evaluate items in the business, and don't care. For the most part you do get what they say it is as long as it is current stuff. When they sale 3 years or older stuff, its a guess if you'll get what they say it is.

Let us know when you pull the trigger on your first piece.

Roger

reed1216
04-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Roger,

Thanks for providing the information here. This forum is about exchanging information- good and bad. It's good to hear the positive side once in a while.

mvandor
04-25-2007, 08:35 AM
MVandor,

I suppose by "shill" you mean I'm a front or cover for him? Not quite. I don't like everything Grey Flannel does either. As a serious, registered, buyer, I would like to see more pictures. I would like the web site pictures to enlarge. I would like to see the physical aspects spelled out better, so I don't have to ask. At the end of the day it is Rich's business and he can run it how he likes. If I don't like it, like you, I don't have to participate in it, and won't. No matter what they have for sale.

I read in your other post that you want a Chargers game used. I guess you know you can buy "game used" directly from the team store? You can go to NFL.com and the Chargers always have "game used" for sale. You do have to register there to bid also.

If you want rude, email NFL auctions and get a response from them, if they bother. The NFL has the worst pictures to evaluate items in the business, and don't care. For the most part you do get what they say it is as long as it is current stuff. When they sale 3 years or older stuff, its a guess if you'll get what they say it is.

Let us know when you pull the trigger on your first piece.

Roger

Roger, I have monitored them for awhile, and IMHO the Chargers store overprices everything (best piece they have up now IMHO is an unsigned Lo Neal practice jersey for $900 and they've inaccurately responded to my queries on that piece). NFL Auctions on ebay go off at insane prices. Some people might be in the economic bracket to overpay - regrettably I'm not.

I can only imagine what a Tomlinson would go for from these sources, and frankly I'm more interested in a Fouts or Winslow (I can only imagine how beat up any Alworth jerseys out there are as cheap as they were in those days about reusing gear).

But thank you for your suggestion.