PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Minnesota Twins ALT jerseys

tonyvenn
04-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Greetings all.........

My "expertise" is hockey jerseys....I need a little help on baseball......

Did the Twins eve wear a RED alternate jersey? I have found a Russell pro that I have never seen before. It's not mesh and has a full length button-front---so I don't think its a BP jersey

It is red, with a white Twins logo across the body. The "TC" patch is on the left sleeve.

It also features navy piping on the sleeves and around the neck....

Any ideas what season (or seasons) these were used??

Any photos would be a huge help...I'd like to see the font used for name/numbers...

Thanks,

Tony
tonyvenn@sympatico.ca

staindsox
04-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, they were from 1997. The unveiled the blue as road and the red as home alternate jerseys. They took absolutely savage beatings the first two or three games they wore the red jerseys and stopped using them from that point on. Red jerseys were only used for a few games, so they are pretty rare. Hope this helps.

Chris

sylbry
04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
At best this jersey was team ordered. It is tagged as a team spare.

Bryan

sylbry
04-25-2007, 03:51 PM
I just took a closer look at the jersey. It shows a good amount of wear from washing. There appears to be no alterations from name or number removal. This appears to be just a regular jersey.

Remember, there have been numerous 1997 Molitor blue alternate jerseys tagged "44-97" for sale or auction in the past year. Ebay id MASauction sold one last month and described it as a "salesman sample." I can't find the link at the moment.

By the way, for what it is worth this is the second blank red alternate I have seen for sale this year.

Bryan

big10champ
04-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Just a side note, I believe that these red alt. jersey's were nicknamed the Dairy Queen jerseys. Can anyone confirm or elaborate on that.

staindsox
04-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Yep, the Dairy Queen jerseys. There is another 44-97 or 44-96 tagged Molitor up on Grey Flannel Auctions right now.

sylbry
04-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Just noticed the jersey is missing the Jackie Robinson patch.

sylbry
04-26-2007, 11:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60597&item=270106112020

This is the sale I was referring to. Notice the proper tagging for a team spare but notice how the seller states it was purchased from a Russell distributor.

It will be interesting to see if this one pops up as a gamer. However Molitor never wore a size 42. The only difference between this jersey and all of the other Molitor junk gamers is this is a size 42 where as they are size 44, Molitor's correct size.

I hope that Lou Lampson, Vintage Authentics, American Memorabilia, Historic, and Grey Flannel pay very close attention to this closed listing. Then they can't claim ignorant the next time they try to pass one off as real.

Anyways, going back to the red jersey, there is no chance in hell it came from the team.

Bryan