PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hancock Rest in Peace!!!

suave1477
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
As always I post something in regard to a passing of a Baseball Player.

This time I took this one a bit to heart

I had the pleasure of meeting and hangging out with Josh after Game 6 of the NLCS

Me, Josh, Speizio, and Weaver spent the whole night till 4am in the morning drinking and they were a great bunch of guys including Hancock, he was young a little quiet but a cool guy.

The 3 of them autographed something for me and I will always remember it and hold it dear.

Rest in Peace Josh

"All of baseball today mourns the tragic and untimely death of St. Louis pitcher Josh Hancock," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said. "He was a fine young pitcher who played an important role on last year's World Series championship team."

The Cardinals will wear patches with Hancock's No. 32 on their sleeves for the rest of the season. The team also planned a memorial for the bullpen, which already features a tribute to Kile.

A Cardinals-Cubs game also was postponed five years ago after Kile was found dead in his hotel room in Chicago. The 33-year-old pitcher died of a coronary artery blockage.

General manager Walt Jocketty said the Cardinals, who are off Thursday, plan to charter a plane to Hancock's funeral. The team begins a three-game series in Milwaukee on Monday and returns to St. Louis on Friday.

"Obviously, this is very difficult for all of us, especially those of us who were here five years ago when we lost Darryl Kile," said Jocketty, his eyes red. "There's no way we could have played tonight's game."

La Russa met with players shortly before a news conference Sunday afternoon to provide details of the accident and share memories. Late in the afternoon, two Cardinals jogged together in the outfield in a nearly empty Busch Stadium.

"This has obviously been a very difficult time," St. Louis pitcher Braden Looper said. "Josh was a great teammate and a great friend to everybody, and he was a key part of our success."

News of Hancock's death began to circulate around the majors on Sunday morning. Seattle Mariners pitcher Jeff Weaver, who won the World Series clincher for St. Louis in October, got a call from Cardinals reliever Randy Flores.

"I never really had a phone call like that before. It's kind of mind-boggling. Just a few days ago I had talked to him on the phone, touching base again because we were pretty good friends at the time," Weaver said. "We spent a lot of time together. It was just hard to believe."

Weaver said Hancock called him three or four days ago just to chat, and asked if Weaver had received his World Series ring yet.

"He was quiet, kind of soft-spoken, but definitely a good guy," said Brewers pitcher Jeff Suppan, the NL championship series MVP with St. Louis last year. "It's a sad day. Your feelings go out toward his family and his teammates now. That's tough to get through."

Atlanta Braves ace Tim Hudson played with Hancock at Auburn. They helped lead the school to the 1997 College World Series.

"It feels like being punched in the stomach right now," Hudson said. "Josh was such a good person. I saw him a few times a year going back to Auburn for football games. It's really a shock."

Hancock was remembered at ballparks around the country. The Cleveland Indians observed a moment of silence before their game against the Baltimore Orioles, with Hancock's picture displayed on a giant scoreboard. There also was a moment of silence for Hancock at Yankee Stadium.

"It's terrible, another terrible event," said Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who was the Colorado hitting coach when Kile was a part of the Rockies' staff in 1998 and 1999. "The young man had done so well last fall and had a promising career. It's just terrible."

Hancock, who pitched three innings of relief in Saturday's 8-1 loss to the Cubs, played for four major league clubs. He went 3-3 with a 4.09 ERA in 62 regular-season appearances for the Cardinals last season and pitched in three postseason games. He was 0-1 with a 3.55 ERA in eight games this season.

La Russa said Hancock's final outing was typical of a reliever whose role frequently called for mop-up duty.

"We didn't get embarrassed because of him, and that was said several times," La Russa said.

Three days before Hancock's death, the Cardinals got a scare that some teammates said reminded them of Kile — Hancock overslept and showed up late for a day game in St. Louis. Hancock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he thought the starting time was later and didn't get up until the "20th call" from anxious teammates.

"We were all a little nervous," closer Jason Isringhausen said earlier this week. "We don't care if you're late. That happens. We want to know that you're OK."

Hancock made his offseason home in St. Louis. He was the only player to attend the premiere of a DVD documenting the Cardinals' unlikely run to their 10th World Series championship after winning only 83 regular-season games.

mlrtme17
05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Truely a shame. And it looks like it could have been avoided all together. As a St. Louis native this is the opposite of what everyone here felt when we won the World Seires back in October. It sucks for everyone, and were not even blood with him.

For someone who had the world by the jewels and playing in the bigs, it's truely a shame.

camarokids
05-05-2007, 12:58 PM
In the newspaper this morning and online before that , unfortunately Josh chose to drive while intoxicated . Too bad no one was there to stop him or were unable to stop him from driving while drunk . Too sad for himself and his family.....

This is a not a knock on anyone , but apparently drunk driving is rampant in MLB and elswhere is a safe bet too ......

In 1993 , I was hit while driving at 9 in the morning by a drunk driver , then he tried to drive away , but another driver took the keys out of the ignition and away from him .......

Also in 1999 I was trying to stop a drunk from getting into his car (on a Sunday morning around 8am) and driving . I told him I was calling the police . While on the phone w/ the police I'm watching the driver . Then all of a sudden , I'm like "holy sh*t", "he just hit a palm tree ". The idiot did not even make it two blocks down the road . Sad and funny at the same time ....

I could go on with other stories but my fingers are sore...

staindsox
05-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I know I'm going to sound like a complete a$$hole, but I don't feel sorry one bit for the guy. Sounded like he had a run-in with a cop just a week before too. It's Russian roulette. You do that enough, odds are something bad will happen. I'm sure members on the board drink and drive all the time. Sadly, it's very common. Just last night, I drank too much, but called for a ride instead of driving...or you can get a damn cab. Nobody stops to think about the poor tow truck driver. He could have been killed. Josh may or may not have been a great guy, but he made a stupid decision...and sounded like it wasn't an uncommon decision for him. It's the family and the other drivers that are the real victims. If he went skydiving without a parachute, I wouldn't feel bad for him either. There are consequences for bad decisions. This one cost him his life. What really is sad is that nobody will learn for it. Just my thoughts.

Chris

David
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I am strongly against drinking and driving, in part because the driver can kill others. However, I also believe that Hancock didn't deserve to die for drinking and driving and getting into an accident. If he survived, I don't know of anyone who would believe that just punishment for his driving offense should be the death penalty.

David
05-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I am strongly against drinking and driving, in part because the driver can kill others. However, I also believe that Hancock didn't deserve to die for drinking and driving and getting into an accident. If he survived, I don't know of anyone who would believe that just punishment for his driving offense should be the death penalty.

kingjammy24
05-05-2007, 06:40 PM
chris: i don't think you sound like an asshole in the least. on the contrary, it's refreshing to see someone genuinely call it like it is. i actually thought very much of the poor tow truck driver. some working joe is out there doing his job one night when some drunken, idiot millionaire almost kills him. on his way to another bar, with weed in his car. i also thought of the other innocent people on the road with hancock that night. hancock put all of their lives at risk as well. thousands of innocent people are killed each year because of reprehensible idiots like hancock. a drunken driver getting killed doesn't strike me as a tragedy any more so than a bank robber being shot. the tragedy is when some innocent person gets killed or severly injured simply because they made the mistake of being on the same road as these selfish idiots.

david: hancock suffered the predictable consequences of his own actions entirely. had hancock killed some innocent person, while on his way to his next happy hour, i'm sure a few would think he deserved the death penalty. fortunately, he didn't kill or injure anyone else but that was just sheer luck. appropriate that coach larussa broke the news to the team given that he got popped on a dui earlier this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hancock was drunk at time of fatal crash

Pitcher had marijuana in his car, was talking on cellphone and wasn't wearing a seat belt.
From the Associated Press
May 5, 2007

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was drunk and talking on his cellphone at the time of his fatal accident, and marijuana was found in the sport utility vehicle he was driving.

Medical examiner Michael Graham said at a news conference Friday that the 29-year-old reliever was dead "within seconds" from head injuries in the crash early Sunday on Interstate 64 in St. Louis. His vehicle hit the back of a tow truck parked on the highway to assist a driver from a previous accident.

"There is nothing at all that could have been done for him," Graham said.

Hancock's blood-alcohol level was 0.157, nearly twice Missouri's legal limit of 0.08, Graham said.

Police Chief Joe Mokwa said 8.55 grams of marijuana and a glass pipe used to smoke marijuana were found in the rented Ford Explorer. Toxicology tests to determine if drugs were in his system had not been completed.

An accident reconstruction team determined Hancock was traveling 68 mph in a 55-mph zone when his SUV struck the back of a flatbed tow truck stopped in a driving lane. Mokwa said there was no evidence Hancock tried to stop. He did swerve, but too late to avoid the collision.

Hancock was not wearing a seat belt, but Graham said the belt would not have prevented his death.

Mokwa said Hancock was speaking with a female acquaintance about baseball and baseball tickets and that the conversation ended abruptly, apparently when the accident occurred. A police report said Hancock told the female acquaintance he was on his way to another bar, and that he planned to meet her there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

rudy.

suave1477
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
KingJammy I agree with what your saying partially regardless of his not so smart descision to drink and drive still no one deserves to die for it including the driver himself.
As far as your analogy about a bank robber (poor analogy) as a bank robber is set with intent to commit a crime with possibly hurting to get what he wants, a drunk driver is not nessicarly tyring to commit a crime intentionally with others involved.
I am not saying this was right im just saying they are 2 differences.

What I would like to say in Josh Hancocks defense though I might sound like a conspiracy theorist but doesnt anyone realize that for the first 2 or 3 days the cops had no clue to why this happend and all of a sudden 3 days later they found drugs in his truck. Just seems a little strange when they had the truck in there possesion for 3 days.
Seems more like they couldnt find a real reason to explain what happend and might of pinned what would be a beleivable cause of death.
Here is something I find interesting, when i was hanging out with Josh for hours and hours at a bar he had about 1 beer while me and the other guys were drinking it up.
Seems a bit strange a guy, would have 1 beer in a social drinking setting and yet they make him out to be an alcky and a drugie.

Just my opinion!!!

Kid4hof03
05-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Not to start an agrument Jason, but he did intentionally set out to commit a crime, drinking and driving in and of itself is a crime. Having an accident isn't the crime, the act of CHOOSING to drive after drinking is.

I feel for his family and those that knew and loved him and I definitely don't think that he "deserved" do die, but he took a calculated risk. I've lost friends that made the same decision, I've also watched the families of those that didn't make the choice but were killed by others who did. In my opinion it's a very serious crime that should be punished much more severely than it currently is.

Abe

suave1477
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello KidHof, no argument at all.

But I never said he didn't go out to commit a crime intentionally. I was saying he didn't do it with intent to hurt others.

Thats my point.

Kid4hof03
05-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Jason,
I understand your point but I find it to be less than valid. Not wanting to hurt someone while participating in behavior that you know is dangerous to them is really foolishness. He knew, just like everyone else that chooses to drink and drive, that they put others lives in jeopardy. Saying that I never meant to hurt anyone isn't an excuse for selfish and destructive behavior. It won't bring Hancock back nor would it bring back the lives of others had he killed them instead of himself.

Abe

suave1477
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Abe, I agree with you all im saying is because of his actions doesnt mean he deserved to die.

metsbats
05-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't know about you guys but I find it alarming when commuting home on the Long Island Railroad that beer and hard liquor can be purchased on the platform before boarding the trains. How many of these folks who are having a drink or two on the way home get off at their stop only to get into their cars at the station parking lot to drive back to their homes.

I also find it incredible that gas stations are allowed to sell beer. You can gas up and get a 6 pack too.

Our society makes alcohol too accessible to drivers in my opinion and that's part of the problem.

David

Kid4hof03
05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Jason,
I would never say or think that he or anyone else deserved to die, but I will say that he showed a great indifference for the saftey of himself and those around him. No, he didn't deserve to die, but he did cause his death because of his own choice.

Abe

33bird
05-06-2007, 07:40 PM
yea, he was on his cell phone at the time of the crash, calling a girl to meet him at another bar. He was bar hopping all night, and was heading to another. You reap what you sew brother. I hope the Cardinals don't celebrate this guy too much. He's lucky he didn't hurt or kill somebody else.
Greg