PDA

View Full Version : Tony Lazzeri glove--Lot #525 Lelands

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
05-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I was wondering if people could take a look at Lelands current auction--lot 525 and give an opinion on this glove. I have a Lazzeri game bat and signed photo but am thinking of trying to add this to the grouping. However, don't know anything about gloves. Thanks for any help.
The COA states the following but not exact wording--

That the glove was acquired by the consignors father after helping Babe Ruth to his quarters (The Ansonia). He dug in his pockets but came up empty for a tip--went to a duffle bag and pulled out the glove indicating that he had taken it from Lazzeri. The consignor was given the glove around 1950 by his father and repeatly told the story of how it was received. Signed and dated with a Notary Public State of New York and signed by the current owner-the consignor.

It looks to be period but any way of telling if it is a professional model. I realize that other than not being there at that time makes it hard to take this any further. Haven't ever dealt with Lelands before. Thanks for any help from any glove collectors out there or anyone who has worked with Lelands!

staindsox
05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I am not an expert, but do know that this exact same glove was on eBay awhile back. I don't believe that it ever sold. Whether the buyer wanted too much, the provenance was sketchy, the glove didn't get exposure to the kind of crowd that would be interested in these kind of items, etc, I cannot say. I personally find it hard to believe that Babe Ruth stole a glove from Tony Lazzeri and then, being short on cash, used it to tip a guy. There isn't a lot of logic in many things Ruth did, but this, to me, seems slightly absurd. Maybe there is a thread here or on the old forum. Best of luck to you.

Chris

CollectGU
05-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Chris is right, this was on ebay and here is the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8822630918&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

If you click on the appraisal certificate, you will see that it is the same glove. No one bought it at 5,000 and then it was listed at $999 and no one bid on it either......

Eric
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
See this thread from one year ago

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2896&highlight=lazzeri

CollectGU
05-03-2007, 01:36 PM
The problem with this glove is provenance. You are basically buying the story from the consignor because there is nothing about the glove that points to it being used by him - no name or number. A Lazzeri glove was sold by Mastro but that was not a Reach, it was a Splaulding and came with an LOA from Lazzeri's son:

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=49436&CurrentRow=1

Regards,
Dave

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for those who have replied. This is exactly what I was looking for in regards to information on this subject. Any further comments are welcome as well. As for provenance--I know it was only the COA and a picture with a smiliar glove to start with. With the responses already made--you have helped me make up my mind to take a pass on it. Any further comments to solidify or change my decision are also welcome. It makes for an interesting read and conversation about an area I know little about.