PDA

View Full Version : OK Guys...how does this work?

HiNeighbor
05-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Hey guys,

Got this today. It's more for our (my dad and I) RI beer collection than my BoSox collection (but it's great to have stuff that overlaps...that's actually the way I got into Red Sox stuff).

It dates from c. 1950 based on the Narragnsett script. It's obviously some form of pencil (?) based on the eraser, probably for scorekeeping.

Here's the wierd part..... the silver end cap comes off to reveal an empty compartment. BUT...the cap is like the end of a bullet, it's completely closed. There's no way a piece of lead would go through it. I have no idea how it would work, or what it is exactly.

Anybody ever see something like this? Any ideas? :confused:

Yours in confusion...

Greg

ksfarmboy
05-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey Greg. You called it yourself, it's called a bullet pencil. I've seen several of them and have one around the house somewhere. The silver end was where the pencil was. I just found it in my computer desk of all places.

-Clint

slidekellyslide
05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Greg, the silver "bullet" part turns around and fits into the tube. The pencil was held into the end of the inside of the back of the bullet.

HiNeighbor
05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

Thanks guys...

That would be one big piece of lead, but makes sense.

It's nice to find something on ebay for 13 bucks every now and then.

I've never seen this piece in collecting RI beer stuff for thirty years.

Greg

slidekellyslide
05-05-2007, 07:32 PM
It's not one big piece of lead...it's actually just a regular short wooden pencil that fits in there.