Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoff
    • Nov 2005

Clemens Signs with yankees

For all that don't know Roger Clemens just signed with the Yankees.I thought that he would pick them.He said this in New york at Yankee Stadium to a sell out crowd.For the Yankees fans on here you got the one of the greatest.Geoff
  • whatupyos
    Banned
    • Dec 2005

Re: Clemens Signs with yankees

I think that its sad that baseball allows this guy, or any guy, to sit and chill for half the year, then come in to play in the middle of the year. Thats a bunch of malarky. The rest of the MLB players are busting their tails and this guy is allowed to hang out and just all of a sudden decide to play. That needs to stop...either play the whole year or just retire already.

Comment

• staindsox
      • Jun 2006

So does Clemens only get tested for drugs when he signs with a team, when he actually joins the roster, or is he tested in the spring like everyone else? For any of those who read the Bonds books, it sounds like the MLB does more testing in the spring and by the all-star break, it can often be done for the season. Yes, certain players get tipped when they're going to be tested. I am skeptical that the only reason Clemens does this is that he's too lazy to go to spring training because noone has ever accused him of being lazy (for example, Joe Carter said he would go and run 10 miles after pitching a game).
      Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

• jon_8_us
        • May 2006

Yankees fans rejoice.He's your #1 starter!Sox still have a far superior pitching staff top to bottom.See ya'll in October.
        jon
        Always looking for Manny Ramirez game used items

Comment

• gameused
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by whatupyos
          I think that its sad that baseball allows this guy, or any guy, to sit and chill for half the year, then come in to play in the middle of the year. Thats a bunch of malarky. The rest of the MLB players are busting their tails and this guy is allowed to hang out and just all of a sudden decide to play. That needs to stop...either play the whole year or just retire already.
          I agree with "whatupyos" I think Clemens should have played from the beginning.

Roger Clemens is one of the games greatest pitchers but he demands too much, he's going to be making 4.5 mil a month and the Yankees even agreed that he doesn't have to go on road trips with the rest of the team if he's not pitching, to me that's sad, why give one guy special treatment, when he puts on a Yankee uniform he should be treated like everyone else in the clubhouse, just shows how desperate the Yankees are in the pitching department.

I'm glad the Yankees picked him up, as I heard the Red Sox were in the hunt, as a Red Sox fan we don't need him and his Cinderella treatment he's asking for.

Bobby

Comment

• David
            • Sep 2024

I was wondering along the lines of the above post. Clemens is retired, out of baseball, until he signs a contract. This means he doesn't get drug tested year round like all the rest of the players.

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by whatupyos
              I don't get it either. What really kills me is at the press conference, Brian Cashman said the Yankees aren't going to rush Clemens. When he's ready, he's ready. What??? For the money they're going to pay him this year (well, actually part of the year), and Clemens knowing he was going to pay, he should be in ready condition to play now!

How aren't player gripping about this also? Does Clemens really think he's a God, that he can dictate that he will only play home games and get paid the way he is? Well, I guess after yesterday, I just answered my question.

Ridiculous!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
                I don't get it either. What really kills me is at the press conference, Brian Cashman said the Yankees aren't going to rush Clemens. When he's ready, he's ready. What??? For the money they're going to pay him this year (well, actually part of the year), and Clemens knowing he was going to pay, he should be in ready condition to play now!

How aren't player gripping about this also? Does Clemens really think he's a God, that he can dictate that he will only play home games and get paid the way he is? Well, I guess after yesterday, I just answered my question.

Ridiculous!
                Sorry, "Clemens knowing he was going to play"
                Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• larry bourget
                  • Nov 2005

Clemens is a money grubber, the Yankees have more money than brains, he won't get them to the Post Season, ......does George Costanza still work there.

Comment

• kellsox
                    • Jan 2006

Clemens has earned the right to choose where he plays. I'm sure that if he wanted to, he could sign a longer contract than the one year contracts he has been signing. It's his choice and it's also the choice of the teams that make offers to him(in my opinion overpriced offers). He does not just pitch in home games(as an earlier post stated). As a season ticket holder to the Red Sox, I would have liked him on my team, but it would have been a luxury based on the pitching the Sox have right now. It is different with him going to the Yankees because they are relying on him to anchor their staff and I don't think he's better than a #3 starter in the AL East.

Comment

• JETEFAN
                      • Dec 2005

The Red Sox rotation is set and is as good as it's going to get, the Yankees proved Boston pitching is not a problem for them. They scored a ton of runs on Boston and in fact I believe led by 2 runs or more in every game ! The problem is Yankees pitching, starters and relievers not performing. In my opinion any type of quality pitching added to the mix for the Yanks closes the gap with Boston. I think the "Rocket" might be a slight improvement over past Yankees pitching.

Comment

• mr.miracle
                        • Apr 2006

With Clemens resigning yesterday, George Steinbrenner issued a royal statement from the throne room. He said that the sole mission of the entire organization was to bring a world championship back to the Yankees. As a lifelong Orioles fan it would be nice to see Orioles ownership take that stance. While I agree that the Yankees continually overpay and have made a number of bad decisions especially with pitching, can we say Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano anyone? At least George does whatever he can financially to put a winning team on the field. While some might call this practice hiring mercenaries and buying a title my question is, if this was your team what would you want them to do? If my favorite team had the financial wherewithall that the NY Yankees have and did not invest it into the payroll to put a winning team on the field, as a fan I would be furious. The Yankees simply do what the rules as presently constituted in MLB allow them to do.

I take a look at the bumbling buffonery that is Orioles management every single year and wonder what has become of a once proud franchise that in the 60's and 70's was the class of baseball. Now it is reduced to being one of the laughingstocks of baseball due to Peter Angelos incompetence. Attendance has dropped nearly 50% in the past 5 years why? Because the team does not win and does not ever compete for a title. Once management realizes this ,which will probably never happen with Angelos and his cronies running the team; maybe they will be able to compete again.

Not that they care, but last year I contacted the Orioles front office and informed them that I would not attend another game until they made an effort to put a winning team on the field. It is evident that they don't care and will not continue to care unlike their counterparts in New York.
                        The Orioles can make whatever annual statement that they want to at the end of each year regarding improving the team in an effort to win but the proof is on or in this case not on the field. Can anyone name the last big name starting pitcher that this team signed as a free agent? I cannot, in fact, I don't know if their is one??

While I will never be a Yankee fan, I do respect and understand the mentality of doing anything possible to win. I only wish my team would take that same stance.

As for Clemens, if any of us could work that same deal we would in a heartbeat. Maybe we don't like it and no, I don't necessarily think it is in the best interest of the team, but after all, the Astros the last two seasons and now the Yankees agreed to it so you cannot just blast Clemens. It is just like negotiating for a job. If you can reasonably make demands regarding salary, vacation pay, benefits, etc. more power to you. The rest of the employees may not like it or the outside world but too bad for them.
                        Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Comment

• suave1477
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2006

Mr Miracle you said that perfectly.

Here is what I don't understand about other teams fans that they say the Yankees buy themselves championships uhhhhhhhh hellooooooo thats what your supposed to do. Just like Mr Miracle said if the money is there why not spend it. Many other teams Management/Owners had the financial backing in a lot of situations to pick up a premium player but thought it would be more important to buy themselves a new Bently.

I mean really think about it for a second do you expect the Yankees to have the money for big name players and turn around and say "No we will not pay high money for this player, even though we can afford him, because it wouldn't be fair to other teams"

The Mets and the Red Sox are starting to use the same practice that the Yankees been using for years. With the money you make sink it back into the team which in turn will bring in more money.
                          That's business. thats how it works!!

There is an old saying "To make money you got to spend money"

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mr.miracle
                            With Clemens resigning yesterday, George Steinbrenner issued a royal statement from the throne room. He said that the sole mission of the entire organization was to bring a world championship back to the Yankees.

As a lifelong Orioles fan it would be nice to see Orioles ownership take that stance. I take a look at the bumbling buffonery that is Orioles management every single year and wonder what has become of a once proud franchise that in the 60's and 70's was the class of baseball. Now it is reduced to being one of the laughingstocks of baseball due to Peter Angelos incompetence. Attendance has dropped nearly 50% in the past 5 years why? Because the team does not win and does not ever compete for a title. Once management realizes this ,which will probably never happen with Angelos and his cronies running the team; maybe they will be able to compete again.

Not that they care, but last year I contacted the Orioles front office and informed them that I would not attend another game until they made an effort to put a winning team on the field. It is evident that they don't care and will not continue to care unlike their counterparts in New York.
                            The Orioles can make whatever annual statement that they want to at the end of each year regarding improving the team in an effort to win but the proof is on or in this case not on the field. Can anyone name the last big name starting pitcher that this team signed as a free agent? I cannot, in fact, I don't know if their is one??
                            Brett - Great observations. George Steinbrenner accomplishes 3 things 1) Kept Clemens away from his arch-rival Red Sox 2) Improves his pitching staff 3) Excites the advertisers (YES Network) and fans to spend more money on the Yankees

Now to the pathetic Orioles. As I live 45 minutes from Baltimore, I cringe at the name Angelos who has to be the worst owner in baseball. There are close 2nd and 3rd place winners but this is the only category the Orioles come in 1st place these days. He gets the AL East windfall every season for attendance as he is assured a minimum of 9 home games every year vs. the Red Sox and another 9 games with the Yankees. Why put a team on the field when you make money doing what he is doing---unless of course you want to instill pride back to Charm City!!!!

Andrew
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• staindsox
                              • Jun 2006

Let's not forget the Yankees can do this and 70% of other teams cannot and most of it comes from television revenue and related advertising. The Yankees get 10x what Minnesota gets for tv contracts. When you have 10x as many people living in an area, it's tough to keep up. I just want to say that the Twins win with most of their players coming up from their own minor leagues, so you don't have to buy a team to put a winner together.
                              Always looking for Jack Hannahan or St. Paul Saints gamers:

www.jackhannahan.webs.com

Comment

Working...