PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Hall of Fame Votes

trsent
01-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Ok, so I read today that Bruce Sutter finally made it into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Of the eligible people on the ballot, the bottom votes were very interesting:

Name Ballots received Percentage
---- ---------------- ----------

Bruce Sutter 400 76.9
Jim Rice 337 64.8
Rich Gossage 336 64.6
Andre Dawson 317 61.0
Bert Blyleven 277 53.3
Lee Smith 234 45.0
Jack Morris 214 41.2
Tommy John 154 29.6
Steve Garvey 135 26.0
Alan Trammell 92 17.7
Dave Parker 75 14.4
Dave Concepcion 65 12.5
Don Mattingly 64 12.3
Orel Hershiser 58 11.2
Dale Murphy 56 10.8
Albert Belle 40 7.7
Will Clark 23 4.4
Dwight Gooden 17 3.3
Willie McGee 12 2.3
Ozzie Guillen 5 1.0
Hal Morris 5 1.0
Gary Gaetti 4 0.8
John Wetteland 4 0.8
Rick Aguilera 3 0.6
Gregg Jefferies 2 0.4
Doug Jones 2 0.4
Walt Weiss 1 0.2
Gary DiSarcina 0 0.0
Alex Fernandez 0 0.0

Geez, that is crooked. Oh well. Tell me, who were the two who voted for Gregg Jefferies and who was on the one who voted for Walt Weiss? Really, I just don't get it.

ChrisCavalier
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Tell me, who were the two who voted for Gregg Jefferies and who was on the one who voted for Walt Weiss? Really, I just don't get it.
I think the two who voted for Jefferies are members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America who loaded up on Jefferies' rookie cards when he first came into the league and still have them. :D

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Chris

RobSteinmetz
01-10-2006, 04:51 PM
As a Cubs and Cardinals fan, I'm thrilled that Bruce Sutter was elected this year. Based on his increase in votes this year, it appears to me that Goose Gossage with be enshrined in the not too distant future as well. What strikes me as interesting is that Lee Smith, baseball's all-time save leader, only showed up on 45% of the ballots (I think this was down from last year). Here's a quick stat comparison between Smith and two HOF closers...

Bruce Sutter (12 seasons): 300 saves, 2.83 career ERA, 1 Cy Young, 6 All-Star Games, Led League in Saves 5 times, Pitched in 1 postseason.

Rollie Fingers (17 seasons): 341 saves, 2.90 career ERA, 1 Cy Young, 7 All-Star Games, Led League in Saves 3 times, Pitched in 6 postseasons.

Lee Smith (18 seasons): 478 saves, 3.03 career ERA, No Cy Young, 7 All-Star games, Led League in Saves 4 times, Pitched in 2 postseasons.

P.S. - How come Alex Fernandez didn't get any votes?

trsent
01-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I think the two who voted for Jefferies are members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America who loaded up on Jefferies' rookie cards when he first came into the league and still have them. :D

Let's see, according to items for sale on beckett.com, you can buy Gregg Jefferies rookies from 1989 DonRuss for between ten cents and twenty-five cents each.

For comparison sake, Ken Griffey, Jr. has a card in the same set. His Rated Rookie can be bought for about three dollars each. I know Griffey's numbers has been down due to injury, but he has 500 home runs and how many gold gloves?

Two votes is an embarrassment, sorry Gregg or people who invested in his trading cards.

trsent
01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
What strikes me as interesting is that Lee Smith, baseball's all-time save leader, only showed up on 45% of the ballots (I think this was down from last year). Here's a quick stat comparison between Smith and two HOF closers...

P.S. - How come Alex Fernandez didn't get any votes?

Should I pull the race card with this debate? Nah, too early, but history shows in baseball, if your skin is one color over another player's skin color, often you are looked at as better. Sad, but maybe still true. Lee Smith was one of the greats, no doubt about it.

As for Alex Fernandez, a 107-87 career record without ever recording a save in a ten year career isn't going to cut it. Then again, he does have THREE career home runs!

R. C. Walker
01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Should I pull the race card with this debate? Nah, too early, but history shows in baseball, if your skin is one color over another player's skin color, often you are looked at as better. Sad, but maybe still true. Lee Smith was one of the greats, no doubt about it.

Whoa! Before you start throwin’ cards around, consider Jeff Reardon:

16 Years, 367 Saves (All- Time Leader at one point), 3.16 ERA. And if I remember correctly, a couple of awful outings in the ‘92 Post Season w/ the Braves. He's completely off the HoF ballot.

IMHO Lee Smith or Jeff Reardon were good, the Blyleven's and John's of relievers, but not “All-Time Greats” no matter what color skin they have.

Swoboda4
01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
First of all, does anybody have any Sutter game used items?(Photos please)- If the HOF voters didn't waste 78 votes from the bottom portion(Will Clark: 4.4% down to Walt Weiss: 0.2%)it would have more than likely helped at least one other person get elected. What is the motive for these waste votes on such an important event?

trsent
01-10-2006, 09:40 PM
I think David Letterman should start making noise that Buddy Biancalana is not on the ballot.

Birdbats
01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
First of all, does anybody have any Sutter game used items?(Photos please)- If the HOF voters didn't waste 78 votes from the bottom portion(Will Clark: 4.4% down to Walt Weiss: 0.2%)it would have more than likely helped at least one other person get elected. What is the motive for these waste votes on such an important event?
I'm lucky to have a signed Sutter bat from the 80-83 label period -- you can see it on my Web site. Just go to my home page and then click the "Buy/Sell/Trade" button -- you'll see Sutter at the top of the photo. I guess that bat became a bit more valuable yesterday, huh? I remember seeing Sutter at a show before I had one of his bats, and I asked if he knew of any that might be available. He just smiled and said, "Nah. They didn't cut down a lot of trees for me." I've seen maybe three Sutter bats in all the years I've been collecting.

As for wasted votes, just because the guys at the bottom received votes doesn't mean the same writers didn't vote for the guys at the top. They can vote for as many players as they like. Jeffries' votes probably came from a couple writers who were personal friends -- they could also have voted for Rice, Goose and the others on the same ballot.

Good point about Reardon. I feel the same way about Ted Simmons. His stats compare very favorably with catchers already in the HOF, but he couldn't even get 5% to stay on the ballot. It makes no sense.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

earlywynnfan
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
As the proud owner of a Sutter game-worn Cubs cap, I'm glad to see him in!

While we're talking about who's getting robbed, I don't understand Trammell. OK, maybe he's not Honus Wagner, but he's also not Felix Fermin! And why isn't Lou Whitaker even on the ballot anymore?

Ken

PS: Put in Santo and Minoso! NOW!! (There, I've said my 2 cents, I'll be quiet now.)

trsent
01-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Good point about Reardon. I feel the same way about Ted Simmons. His stats compare very favorably with catchers already in the HOF, but he couldn't even get 5% to stay on the ballot. It makes no sense.

I have always wondered why Thurman Munson was overlooked. I know he only played 11 years, but based on his untimely death and amazing career, offensively and defensively, I feel he deserves to be among the greats.

RobSteinmetz
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Whoa! Before you start throwin’ cards around, consider Jeff Reardon:

16 Years, 367 Saves (All- Time Leader at one point), 3.16 ERA. And if I remember correctly, a couple of awful outings in the ‘92 Post Season w/ the Braves. He's completely off the HoF ballot.

IMHO Lee Smith or Jeff Reardon were good, the Blyleven's and John's of relievers, but not “All-Time Greats” no matter what color skin they have.

I'm not sure I'd put Lee Smith in the same category as Jeff Reardon, if for no other reason than volume of saves (Smith pitched only 2 years longer than Reardon but had 111 more saves). I'd also have a hard time comparing Smith to Blyleven and John, neither of which hold (or held) any signifiant pitching records. Just for grins, here's how Reardon's stats compare to Sutter (who was elected this year), and John Wetteland (who received 4 votes this year):

Bruce Sutter: 12 years, 300 saves, 2.83 ERA, 5 times led league in saves, 6 All-Star appearances, 1 Cy Young.

Jeff Reardon: 16 years, 367 saves, 3.16 ERA, 1 time led league in saves, 4 All-Star appearances.

John Wetteland: 12 years, 330 saves, 2.93 ERA, 1 time led league in saves, 3 All-Star appearances, 1 World Series MVP Award.

Just so we stay on topic, I'm thrilled to have a 1980 home Bruce Sutter Cubs jersey in my personal collection...although I'm also actively searching for a Cardinals-era Sutter jersey!

Sangy 35
01-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Sutter also lost 3-4 years off his career, after tearing his rotator cuff in 1986. He really never was the same when he went to Atlanta, although they were a bad team when he pitched there. My one Sutter piece is a 1986 home jersey, purchased from Murf, many, many years ago.

suave1477
01-12-2006, 03:16 AM
I KNOW IM GONNA CATCH A LOT OF SLACK FOR SAYING THIS - everyone here knows who my favorite player was THATS RIGHT DARRYL STRAWBERRY he became eligible last year he got about 20 votes last year im not saying he belongs in the fame but i think it would have been nice to get at least 1 vote / HIS STATS ARE 10 TIMES BETTER THEN JEFRIES OR WEISS -

Strawberry stats
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
8 TIME ALL STAR
2 YEARS SILVER SLUGGER AWARD
4 TIME MVP
1987 - 39 HR'S / 36 STOLEN BASES
TILL THIS DAY HOLDS THE HOME RUN RECORD FOR THE METS
4 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY JEFFRIES AND WEISS?

island_style
01-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Personally, I was disappointed with the amount of votes that Steve Garvey got. True, Jim Rice and The Hawk should be in there (and were closer to receiving the required amount of votes for enshrinement). But, Garvey was truly remarkable during the 70's and 80's. Not worthy alone of a call to the Hall, but he was a write-in candidate for the 1974 All-Star Game and won MVP honors. He was also the AS MVP in 1978 at San Diego (wearing a makeshift uniform and helmet because his threads could not be found). Second in MVP voting in 1978 to Dave Parker, over 1,200 consecutive games played (still an NL record), an NL record for fielding in a season, several 200+ hits in a season, big-time numbers in the playoffs, WS ring in 81, big HR in the 1984 playoffs for the Padres. He won't get in next year with Gwynn and Ripken on the ballot, and will have to be voted in by the Veterans Committee, if so duly honored. Any Garvey supporters out there???

trsent
01-12-2006, 07:17 AM
True, Jim Rice and The Hawk should be in there (and were closer to receiving the required amount of votes for enshrinement)

I always thought Ken Harrelson deserves more respect. When he teamed up with Tom "Wimpy" Paciorek, they were the best announcing team I had ever heard. From his days as a major league player, to professional golfer, to announcer, to general manager and back to being a television announcer, "The Hawk" deserves to be in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

Right?

JETEFAN
01-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Hunger Strike For Donnie Baseball!!!!!!!!

Puckett's Numbers-mattingly's Numbers

Donnie Should Be In!!!

George

earlywynnfan
01-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Regarding Garvey, you forgot to mention he had as much range defensively as a Cigar Store Indian!

Ken

suave1477
01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
OK OK OK as mentioned in my previous post everyone knows whos my favorite and by reading everyone else posts they feel pretty strongly about players that should be on the ballot that are not with that being said / HALL OF FAME - CAN ANYONE SAY RIGGED?

island_style
01-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Ken,

That was pretty funny about Garvey's range at first base! Not too much dirt stains on the chest of his jerseys. Still, somehow, he managed to win several Gold Glove awards while saving many an errant throw from Bill Russell.

The voters get to vote for as many players they seem worthy. But, this year's results were disappointing (Garvey or no Garvey). Not taking anything away from Sutter, but there surely are others just as, if not more, deserving.

DonFan23
01-13-2006, 07:27 PM
As someone who has a bit of insight into how the vote works, here are a couple of points:

1) Although one of the sportswriters may very well be a closet Walt Weiss fanatic, more than likely it's someone who is just testing the system to make sure his votes are counted or who has some other yet-to-be-determined agenda.

2) A voter is free to select anywhere from 10 to zero votes on his ballot, so a vote for a Weiss wouldn't necessarily hurt someone else's chances. Let's face it, when was the last year that you can recall where you would have seriously considered nominating 10 of the candidates if you had a vote?

3) Each returned ballot is counted equally. Therefore, if someone elects to return a zero-vote ballot, it negatively impacts the chances of everyone on the ballot to a greater extent than if that ballot was simply not returned. And zero-vote and unreturned ballots have probably factored into every year's vote.

Just a little food for thought.

R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees items.

trsent
01-14-2006, 02:26 PM
3) Each returned ballot is counted equally. Therefore, if someone elects to return a zero-vote ballot, it negatively impacts the chances of everyone on the ballot to a greater extent than if that ballot was simply not returned. And zero-vote and unreturned ballots have probably factored into every year's vote.

RJ, do you have any idea how many ballots are not turned in each year? I assume if a writer doesn't mail in a blank ballot, then it doesn't count against players.

I just wonder if there is a history of this.

wpeters143
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Please let's remember that it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good. There are so many players throughout history would would make it into the latter. But the Hall of Fame should be a very exclusive club and players like Garvey, Dale Murphy, Jim Rice, George Foster and scores of others in that class just do not belong. They are very good, but not Hall-worthy.

As far as empty ballots, do I remember correctly that Nellie Fox missed election by 1 or 2 votes because some writers sent in blank ballots?

trsent
01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
As far as empty ballots, do I remember correctly that Nellie Fox missed election by 1 or 2 votes because some writers sent in blank ballots?

At least justice was served and Nelson Fox was let into The Hall in 1997.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/Fox_Nellie.htm

DonFan23
01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Joel,

I do not believe that the number of unreturned ballots (or the total number of ballots/eligible voters) is typically disclosed to the public. I don't believe it's a huge number, but it definitely could play a significant role when someone is only a few votes shy of induction.

R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees items