PDA

View Full Version : How many of you saw this Joe Mauer bat? Sold Quick on eBay !

camarokids
05-17-2007, 07:20 PM
I saw this bat on ebay with a Buy It Now of $350 and thought about it . But I collect Devil Rays not Twins . I thought about flipping it, I thought a little too long . Sold in 31 minutes for ONLY $350 , bat _ master was the winning bidder......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220113081036&rd=1&rd=1

bat_master
05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
That would be me. I saw it and couldn't resist.

Based on the low batch number it appears to be a very early '07 gamer. I would say it could possibly be from spring training, but I won't really know for sure until I get it.

Even then I may not be able to pin it down unless I were able to either locate the Rawlings shipping records (which won't happen) or find bats with the same batch number that can be pinpointed to spring training use.

Either way, looks like a nice gamer.

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Batmaster,
I also have a Mauer 2007 bat that was purchased from the Twins Pro Shop (paid $750 for it...nice find for you). I was told that it was his Opening Day bat. I can check the knob on mine for comparison if it would help. I'm new to the whole bat thing, but I'd be happy to check if you think it will help you. Great find...I'm on eBay every day looking for another. Mine has so much game use that his name is just about worn out from all of the ball marks. I was looking for another with less use and you found it...nice score!!!

Mike

bat_master
05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Mike,

If you could check the batch code on your bat that would be great. It stands to reason that if your bat was his opening day bat and has a higher batch code than mine then my bat would almost have to be from spring training.

You can email me at t_byington@yahoo.com or tim@hofbats.com.

Thanks!

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I'll check when I get home...but only if you sell it to me for $350 :)

Mike

bat_master
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I'll check when I get home...but only if you sell it to me for $350 :)

Mike

Hi Mike,

Very tempting, but when I do sell it I'm going to set a price based on the amount of use and use characteristics present.

It will appear on my website once I recieve it and have had time to examine it.

If you are interested in it drop me an email.

Thanks for your help.

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Email sent.

Mike

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 09:15 PM
My Mauer bat's numbers are 456MR, 001 07. Hope that helps. I wonder if your bat is a batting cage bat from Spring Training. I was down in Ft. Myers for 2 weeks and saw Joe have 2 bats for swings from the main field, then 2 others for the cages. There also was an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune about bats and Joe said that certain bats that don't cut it are either signed or used in the cage. I'm interested to hear what you have. Again, I hope this was of some help.

Mike

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 09:18 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think that it may be a cage bat. It just doesn't look like it has that much use and he has a #7 on the bottom of mine and not on the eBay one. Again, I'm new at all this, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Just collecting Mauer stuff, but still interested to learn from you guys. Thanks.

Mike

bat_master
05-18-2007, 09:23 PM
The more I look at it, the more I think that it may be a cage bat. It just doesn't look like it has that much use and he has a #7 on the bottom of mine and not on the eBay one. Again, I'm new at all this, so I really don't know what I'm talking about. Just collecting Mauer stuff, but still interested to learn from you guys. Thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I know Joe doesn't put his #7 on all of his bats. If you wanted to take a look at Andy's Mauer characteristics page this is quite clear. http://www.vintagebats.com/feature_page-Joe%20Mauer.htm.

I can't really tell from the auction photos on my bat, but it looks like it may be from the same batch - 001 which would be from the first batch of 2007 bats that Rawlings sent.

Does your bat also have the weight marked as 31.5?

Thanks Mike!

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Ty,
No, mine is marked 32. Hope this helps. Thanks for the link for tips.

Mike

bat_master
05-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. I would still guess mine is a spring training bat because of the location of the seller.

At least we know that even if they were from the same batch they were different weights.

nomarmauerfan
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Ty,
You may want to go on startribune.com and read the article from Thursday's paper on the Twins and their selection of bats. It may help. Joe has a few quotes about the wood and the weight that helps him determine gamres vs. cage bats vs. giveaways. But, yes, I also noticed the Florida location of the seller and thought that that was the case. Either way, despite the decrease in value (if I'm not mistaken) from it being a S.T. bat, it still is quite nice. Let me know you selling price when you're ready and we'll see what happens. Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend.

Mike