PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you caught the Bonds ball?

kneerat
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,
I wrote about this on my blog yesterday and wanted to pose the same questions to you. Heritage auction is offering anyone who catches Bonds' 756th home run ball $1 million.
If you caught it, what would you do?
Take the guaranteed million? Sell it on eBay? Let another auction house sell it for you?

I would take the million. Sure, you may get more for it somewhere else, but why gamble? A million aint too bad.

3arod13
05-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,
I wrote about this on my blog yesterday and wanted to pose the same questions to you. Heritage auction is offering anyone who catches Bonds' 756th home run ball $1 million.
If you caught it, what would you do?
Take the guaranteed million? Sell it on eBay? Let another auction house sell it for you?

I would take the million. Sure, you may get more for it somewhere else, but why gamble? A million aint too bad.

I would wait and see what if fetches. You can always fall back to Heritage. I believe it will fetch more.

However, I feel bad for whoever buys it. Won't be long before Arod breaks the all time HR record.

kneerat
05-18-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think you can fall back to Heritage... I think they want to be the first to sell that, otherwise the deal is off the table.

Jags Fan Dan
05-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I would take the million and wash my hands of that filthy, befouling item.:D

otismalibu
05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Two words my friends...

Ball Swatches

staindsox
05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Remember what Harry Caray's did with the Bartman ball? Hank Aaron should get to throw the switch.

mfsquirrelmaster
05-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I think heritage is only giving the lucky person a couple weeks to see to them. You really don't have time to check around and see what other options you have. I'd take the million! If they are paying a mill they must expect it to sell for 3 or 4 million.

beavisrules
05-19-2007, 08:42 AM
I would take the million in a heartbeat - no doubt about it

camarokids
05-19-2007, 09:56 AM
First I would offer the Hall of Fame a chance to buy the ball at or around the million mark , plus a lifetime pass to Cooperstown too, I want free parking too....

You know Heritage thinks/knows they can make money on it ! plus they are getting a lot of free publicity just from the offer already.

psmachetti
05-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Funny you should ask. I will be in the right field bleachers at Fenway Park on Father's Day when Giants are in town. If by some miracle I catch either the tying or go ahead ball I will be selling it to pay for my daughter's college education. Any other player and I would consider turning it over to him and the HOF, but I would not give it to that cheater .
Paul

psmachetti
05-19-2007, 12:11 PM
First I would offer the Hall of Fame a chance to buy the ball at or around the million mark , plus a lifetime pass to Cooperstown too, I want free parking too....

You know Heritage thinks/knows they can make money on it ! plus they are getting a lot of free publicity just from the offer already.

Guess again. The Hall of Fame DOES NOT purchase items . It's their policy. They take only donations. I was just there last week and during a presentation they said that was their policy.
Paul

psmachetti
05-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Also did you know that The Baseball Hall of Fame is the only HOF of the 4 major sports not to be affiliated w/their respective league? It's a totally seperate entity.
Paul
PS: WHEN IS THIS FORUM GOING TO ADD AN EDIT FEATURE FOR POSTS?

staindsox
05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Paul is right, the Hall does not purchase anything. When they acquired many things out of the Halper collection, it was MLB who purchased the items and then donated it all to the Hall. The Doubleday ball is the only thing that was ever purchased by the museum...by Stephen Clark, the founder of the Hall.

Chris

camarokids
05-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I surely would not donate it, that's too many donuts to give away . I would sell it to Heritage and tell them make it 1.5 Million ......

Eric
05-19-2007, 03:55 PM
PS: WHEN IS THIS FORUM GOING TO ADD AN EDIT FEATURE FOR POSTS?

Paul-
For a while we had an edit feature, but people would make unfounded statements and then go back and change them and claim it never happened.

By not having an edit feature, it makes people think about what they're posting before putting it on the record.

Not sure why, but it seemed to create too much trouble by having it so we had to remove it.

As always, if there's something you would like edited- contact one of the moderators and they will be happy to help.

Eric

cohibasmoker
05-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I'd at least show it to the Commissioner of Baseball because at this point, he is not even planning on attending the game. After the showing, then I'd figure out what I would do with it.

Jim Papaycik

psmachetti
05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Paul-
For a while we had an edit feature, but people would make unfounded statements and then go back and change them and claim it never happened.

By not having an edit feature, it makes people think about what they're posting before putting it on the record.

Not sure why, but it seemed to create too much trouble by having it so we had to remove it.

As always, if there's something you would like edited- contact one of the moderators and they will be happy to help.

Eric

Good idea I guess.Thanks for the clarification.
Paul

possum
05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd give it back to Bonds. By shoving it up his backside.

JETEFAN
05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd throw it back ! :D

Yankwood
05-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Being that I'm not a rich man, I would do something that made sense financially but what I would like to do is take a Sharpie and write boldly "STEROID INDUCED RECORD BREAKING HOME RUN BALL" on it and give it to the people at the Hall of Fame to use as they wish.

ahuff
05-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I've got a million good reasons to part with it. I think I could make a million work pretty well for me.

yanks12025
05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Two things i would do to it.
1. Burn it till there was nothing left because i hate Bonds.
2.Cut it up into little pieces and turn them into game used cards if i did not burn it.

Who ever buys it needs help because the new home run king will becoming in about 8 or so years(and hes clean). GO A-ROD

cohibasmoker
05-27-2007, 07:36 AM
I'd at least show it to the Commissioner of Baseball because at this point, he is not even planning on attending the game. After the showing, then I'd figure out what I would do with it.

Jim Papaycik

I'd add Hank Aaron to the show-to list before selling the baseball. Aaron stated that he will not attend the game but instead would probably be playing golf.

richpick
05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Are you kidding how often do you have a chance to have one million dollars handed to you in your lifetime for a $8 ball. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!