PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if a Twins 2006 is a spare?

Mark07
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
I posted this, but probably in the wrong forum question...

How can you tell whether a Twins jersey from 2006 has spare tagging?

Thanks a lot.
Mark

staindsox
05-18-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure if you can tell if the jersey is a spare. The 2004 and previous have different tagging (Russell jerseys). Some may be clubhouse leftovers. The 2005 and later have a Majestic cloth strip tagging. The Russell jerseys had set numbers, but the Majectic do not. I think you can look at the interior tagging and look at the overall jersey use. They used to only use 2 sets of each type, but know there are far more of each player since they went to Majestic. There are a lot of Twins fans on this forum, so I'm sure a few more will chime in. Do you have a specifc jersey you're asking about? Post a photo or two. We might be able to help. Good luck.

Chris

sylbry
05-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Chris pretty much nailed it on the head. For Russell jerseys (pre-2005) the tagging was paper and contained three number; the jersey number, the year, and the set number. A spare simply has the year on it for 2000 to 2004 jerseys. Ealier spares such as the 1996 and 1997 Molitors that are constantly seen at auction have only the jersey size and year. This is incorrect as jerseys from that year should have his number, size, and year.

For 2005 and current Majestic Twins jerseys, there should be a cloth strip tag with 3 numbers ( year, player number, jersey size) sewn below the Majestic tag on the front. I guess any jersey with the 0062 wash code lacking the cloth strip tag could be considered a team spare/clubhouse extra. (Note: 2006 spring training jerseys lacked the cloth strip tag, well at least the ones I have seen did.) When purchasing a jersey without the cloth strip tag and with the 0062 wash tag make sure it comes with an LOA from the Twins or has the MLB hologram attached to it.

Basically, if a Twins jersey lacks the player's number on the tagging, it is a team spare/clubhouse extra.

Don't get me wrong, spares are on hand for a reason and are converted to game used jerseys. However, without proper documentation I would avoid them because there seem to be far more "doctored" spares than genuine spares floating around.

Bryan