PDA

View Full Version : Bigtime: Orioles BP question

kingjammy24
01-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Bigtime (or anyone else):

When did the Orioles first start using their BP jerseys as "game jerseys" in regular season games? What years have they done this?

thanks,
Rudy.

bigtime59
01-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Bigtime (or anyone else):

When did the Orioles first start using their BP jerseys as "game jerseys" in regular season games? What years have they done this?

thanks,
Rudy.

Rudy:
To my knowledge, the only year they wore "regular" BP jerseys (no NOB, no front number) in games was 1995, and then, only a couple of times. In May 1998, they wore what I like to call "the great lost 2nd alternate of 1998." These were made from regular BP jerseys, but featured several additions. Sleeve piping, the 1998-pattern Orioles bird, front numbers and NOB were all added to these jerseys, and the Majestic sleeve logos were blacked out. The problem with these jerseys is that they were only worn for one season, and, as nobody in the Orioles community relations department is a collector, they've never been acknowledged as anything other than BP jerseys. I had the good fortune to purchase several from the Orioles DC team store, and was able to get proper LOAs, after showing photos of the jerseys in game use to the store manager. (Thank goodness I brought a camera to the ballpark the night I saw them worn!) I believe they were retired after one series against Tampa Bay. The Orioles would wear their conventional alternates later in the year.
Hope this helps.
Mark