PDA

View Full Version : Lampson AMI Connection?

Eric
05-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hello everyone-

I had an interesting experience I wanted to share with you all. After getting some advice on how to deal with Mr. Lampson's delinquency with responding to the many questions surrounding his authentication work, I asked the Better Business Bureau to help locate Lou through his company 100 Percent Authentic.

The people at the Bureau said filing a form would be a good way to get Mr. Lampson to address some of the issues, since that should be a requirement of running a business professionally, so that's what I did.

The BBB looked at the concerns and has attempted to contact Lou through the company Lampson authenticates for- "100 Percent Authentic" found here

http://www.100percentauthentic.com/Default.asp

Over the years I have tried to contct Lampson or anyone through their website but have never heard back.

Here's the odd part.

Yesterday I got a letter from the BBB saying my complaint has been sent to American Memorabilia.

My problem is not with AMI, it's with the company Lampson works for 100 Percent Authentic.

Is 100 Percent Authentic owned/run by AMI?

If so, it's not very clear. On the 100 Percent Authentic website, AMI is listed as a client of 100 Percent Authentic, even quoting Victor Moreno with a "client testimonial"

Client Testimonial

"100% Authentic offers us superior service in every way. They provide us the fast service we require for our auction house and to run our very popular online auction site. The quality authentication that Lou Lampson provides is second to none. In addition, We can track our certificates efficiently, and they get them back quickly..."

Vic Moreno, President
American Memorabilia, Inc. (http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/)

I'm very confused here. Is Mr. Moreno commending his own company for providing great service to his other company? Or did the BBB send the complaint to the wrong place?

Does anyone have insight on this?

Again, my questions weren't for American Memorabilia- they in fact have been very good about answering questions and doing so in a timely fashion. Like many others, I'm just trying to ask Mr. Lampson some questions about his work.

Thanks
Eric

hblakewolf
05-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Eric-
An entire thread was devoted to this subject, and I'm sure if you search, you can locate it.

Before the recent move, AMI and 100% Authentic had the same street address.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Eric,

100% authentic is owned by AMI. I think It was originally created years ago to possibly get into third party authentication, but they decided long ago against that. They now simply use it now like a tracking system to track the certs on the items they sell. Lou has no ownership interest, and the content on the site hasn't been updated in years....

Regards,
Dave

Eric
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
I assume this is the thread? Is there any more information on this subject?

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=335&highlight=lampson+american+memorabilia

Eric
05-22-2007, 10:07 AM
the content on the site hasn't been updated in years....

Regards,
Dave

That's actually not the case, there are new certs on there from as recently as last month...

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Eric,

I have already received three emails about this thread and it doesn't look like it has even been up but a few minutes.

My understanding, based on my research from a while back, is consistent with what Dave/CollectGU wrote. AMI owns 100% Authentic and thus does not have a third-party/independent authenticator in Lou. Dave, since you also work for AMI (you do editing for them, if I remember what you stated in a previous thread correctly), please correct me if I'm wrong. However, I don't know how anyone could define Lou as an independent or third-party authenticator for American Memorabilia (since they own "his" company), which, to me is an absolutely critical issue. How could Lou's "authentications" for AMI ever be determined to be objective?

Best,
Reid

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Eric,

Let me clarify. Yes, it is updated with the items because that is where the items are logged and tracked. When I say updated I mean in terms of contact info, about the company, etc...

Regards,
Dave

suave1477
05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Yesterday I got a letter from the BBB saying my complaint has been sent to American Memorabilia.

I'm very confused here. Is Mr. Moreno commending his own company for providing great service to his other company?
Thanks
Eric

Eric I am not saying this is fact but from speaking with Vic and staff at AMI, I would say your assumption could be hitting the nail on the head

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 10:15 AM

If so, it's not very clear. On the 100 Percent Authentic website, AMI is listed as a client of 100 Percent Authentic, even quoting Victor Moreno with a "client testimonial"

Client Testimonial

"100% Authentic offers us superior service in every way. They provide us the fast service we require for our auction house and to run our very popular online auction site. The quality authentication that Lou Lampson provides is second to none. In addition, We can track our certificates efficiently, and they get them back quickly..."

Vic Moreno, President

I'm very confused here. Is Mr. Moreno commending his own company for providing great service to his other company? Or did the BBB send the complaint to the wrong place?

Eric,

Anyone with two neurons to rub together must realize that this whole AMI/100% Authentic thing is an absolute joke.

Reid

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Reid,

Just to clarify. I don't work for AMI, but I did do some minor editing for them. I was not paid for this, and would gladly help them again if asked.

This topic has been addressed numerous times before. Lou doesn't own 100% authentic and never did. It's simply a tracking system for certs issued.

Regards,
Dave

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I saw the Ripken glove you picked up ... looks incredible. Nice going!

Best,
Reid

hblakewolf
05-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Reid,

Just to clarify. I don't work for AMI, but I did do some minor editing for them. I was not paid for this, and would gladly help them again if asked.

This topic has been addressed numerous times before. Lou doesn't own 100% authentic and never did. It's simply a tracking system for certs issued.

Regards,
Dave

Dave-
Is it safe to say that AMI/Victor owns 100% Authentic?

Simply a trracking system? Please....put down the Pom Pom's, already.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Dave-
Is it safe to say that AMI/Victor owns 100% Authentic?

Simply a trracking system? Please....put down the Pom Pom's, already.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

100% authentic is not a business. They do not do third party authentication for a fee, so I'm confused by why you think it is anything more than a tracking system as explained.

Regards,

Dave

mvandor
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Howard,

100% authentic is not a business. They do not do third party authentication for a fee, so I'm confused by why you think it is anything more than a tracking system as explained.

Regards,

DaveIt appears to be more, a conscious effort to create the appearance of a third party independent authentication service, when in actuality it's simply a front for AMI's virtually self authentication process.

Or do I misunderstand?

Eric
05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Howard,

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Note this line from the website. (Note also that the misspelled 'collectibles')

"We are a professional authentication service (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/Authentication.asp) specializing in game used sports collectables."

There is also a link to have your items authenticated
http://www.100percentauthentic.com/AuthenticationStep0.asp

hblakewolf
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Dave

Note this line from the website. (Note also that the misspelled 'collectibles')

"We are a professional authentication service (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/Authentication.asp) specializing in game used sports collectables."

There is also a link to have your items authenticated
http://www.100percentauthentic.com/AuthenticationStep0.asp (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/AuthenticationStep0.asp)

Dave-
Let me save you the trouble of answering this one. Let me take a stab at it for you, based on your prior posts on this subject.

"You guys just don't get it. The current info. on the 100% Authentic site is clearly identified with a Copyright mark from 2003 (not 2007). They have not accepted any items for well over 3 years."

"Even though they are clearly an incorporated business, they are not a true business"

"An entire company was established and incorprated in order to just track Lou's LOA's-nothing more".

Anything I missed?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Eric,

As I explained this is old info for their original plans for the sight. Notice the incorrect address not updated..., notice the copyright on the bottom not updated and still says 2003....If you choose not to want to accept what I am telling you or think that I am not being honest then there is nothing more I can do.

Regards,
Dave

Eric
05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Eric,

As I explained this is old info for their original plans for the sight. Notice the incorrect address not updated..., notice the copyright on the bottom not updated and still says 2003....If you choose not to want to accept what I am telling you or think that I am not being honest then there is nothing more I can do.

Regards,
Dave

Honestly, I'm not playing games here. I actually am trying to follow what the deal is here.

How am I supposed to know the address is incorrect?

Eric
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Dave

Since you're saying that this company isn't really in business (since there is an outdated copyright and old address) does that mean that there haven't been 100% Authentic certs issued since 2003?

Because if there have been certs issued under 100% Authentic then it is a functioning company

I am so confused by this.

Eric

suave1477
05-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Eric thats why its a Lampson company lol lol:D

Sounds like one of his LOAS

Lampson LOA describing use:
Well it shows light use sort of, kind of, on the right hand side of the Jersey for a player of this position, if it was washed ten times using Tide detergent when he was on his way to dunkin donuts to get a cup of coffee.

lmaoooooooooo:D

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Dave

Since you're saying that this company isn't really in business (since there is an outdated copyright and old address) does that mean that there haven't been 100% Authentic certs issued since 2003?

Because if there have been certs issued under 100% Authentic then it is a functioning company

I am so confused by this.

Eric

Eric,

This appears to be (and has always appeared to be) a complete sham. I'm happy to consider evidence to the contrary, but this is the only reasonable conclusion one can come to, based on all of the evidence that has been presented thus far.

Best,
Reid

Eric
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
"Gamer"-
You are posting from the same place dolphin13 and better (also known as lambeauleeper) posted from. Unfortunately we are going to ban this third user name coming from the same place. Please stop posting on this forum.
Good luck
Eric

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 03:07 PM
"Gamer"-
You are posting from the same place dolphin13 and better (also known as lambeauleeper) posted from. Unfortunately we are going to ban this third user name coming from the same place. Please stop posting on this forum.
Good luck
Eric

Eric,

I had considered responding to him, but figured as much and deleted my response before posting. It was an unusually provocative first post for a supposedly new member. At least it wasn't so obvious as to call GUF members wash women, though.

Nice work.

Reid

kingjammy24
05-22-2007, 03:12 PM
last 2 or 3 posts:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6927

i haven't read anything regarding the relationship between 100percentauthentic and AMI that makes any sense to me. the relationship is a complete mystery and i fail to even understand the real purpose behind the existance of 100percentauthentic.

dave o'brien states that it's simply a tracking system for certs. it seems like complete nonsense to think that someone would establish a different "company" solely for the simple task of tracking certs. a simple database or even a spreadsheet would accomplish the task effectively. if i'm an authenticator and i service several auction houses, then i can easily and accurately keep track of all of my certs via unique serial numbers. the first 2 or 3 letters of the serial can denote the specific auction house. if i enter these serials into a database, i can track all of the certs with ease. to think that i would open up a whole new company just do that is one of the stupidest things i've ever heard. every authenticator and auction house has a need to track their certs. none of them, except for AMI, has chosen to accomplish this task by opening a shell company.

secondly, who is supposed to have benefitted from this tracking system; lou or AMI? dave, i believe you once stated that it was an easy way for lou to differentiate the certs he did for AMI from the certs he's done for other entities. the fact is, lou authenticates for several auction houses. if 100percentauthentic was set up for the sole purpose of helping lou keep track of his AMI certs, then why has he not set up any other shell companies for his other certs?

thirdly, if 100percent was started solely to help Lou track his AMI certs, then why would AMI even be involved in that? that is, if it's a system for Lou to help Lou, why would AMI register and own the 100percent website and use their address and phone number for a system that supposedly isn't even for them? if Lou wants to keep track of his certs, then shouldn't that solely be his own endeavor? i fail to see why AMI is even involved if it's simply a system to help Lou track his own certs.

"I'm confused by why you think it is anything more than a tracking system"

because none of it makes any sense. you don't need a separate entity solely to track certs. if Lou felt he did, then where are the other entities to track his other non-AMI certs? if Lou needs to track his own certs, then why is AMI even involved? people don't buy that it's just a tracking system because none of it makes any sense. it's akin to me saying i need to keep track of my household expenses, so rather than simply entering them into a software program like MS Money, i'm going to open a whole new company. nonsense isn't it?

all of that said, i also fail to see the logic behind what other people are saying. people have said that it's a sham and is intended to put forth the illusion of genuine third party authentication. the thing is, unless lou is a direct-hire employee of AMI, there's no need to put forth any illusion because genuine third party authentication already exists. as i understand it, lou is a freelance authenticator. he signs contracts with auction houses. none of them have made him a direct hire. when Vintage or Mastro or Heritage hire Lou, he is their third-party authentication. there is no need for any shell company. as long as he's not a direct hire, then any auction house that hires Lou will have genuine third-party authentication. again, setting up a shell company to acheive what already exists makes absolutely no sense. if this is a sham, then i don't see the purpose or gain in it. reid, what exactly is the sham? AMI set up a shell so they could....???

lastly, i think there's an assumption that people may be riding under here; namely that 100percentauthentic is even a company. it's web domain is registered and owned by AMI. the address is the same. the phone number is the same. every point of contact is routed to AMI. it's my opinion that AMI doesn't own 100percentauthentic because there's nothing to own. it's nothing more than a name and a logo. it isn't even a real shell company. the 100percentauthentic website says "inc" yet i can't find a record for a business license for any company named "100% authentic" or "100 percent authentic" in nevada. however, i can find a record for AMI:

AMERICAN MEMORABILIA INC
SPORTS MEMORABILIA
Not Displayed
430-0667
S20-00350
1/19/1999
Active
MORENO JOSEPH PRES/100%

so if 100percentauthentic was incorporated, i'd like to know where because i can't find a record of it. when searching business licenses in nevada why does AMI show up but not 100percentauthentic? lampson's name does not show up as being the owner of any business in nevada.

to wit then: supposedly, victor moreno opened up a company, which doesn't show up in the business license records, solely to help lampson track his own certs. victor agreed to register the site, pay for it, host it, and have all contact come to his company. all just to help lou track his ami certs.

like i said, none of it makes any sense at all. i can't see any reason behind 100percentauthentic. lampson himself is automatically a third-party authenticator and tracking certs is simply a matter of entering unique serial numbers into a piece of software.

rudy.

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Rudy,

AMI owns 100% Authentic, the company that is associated with and represented by Lou. Lou does AMI's authentications. Still, AMI talks about 100% Authentic as if it is a separate entity (per the quote that Eric posted).

Does Lelands represent Keith Vari as someone from a separate company who comes in to do authentications? Does Grey Flannel suggest that Richie Russek is coming in to authenticate from some other company? As Warren would say... Puhhleaaase.

I'm not sure that I'll be able to help you much with your confusion, as this couldn't be more crystal clear to me. If you're looking for a semantic debate about the word sham, I'm afraid someone else will have to help you out.

Best,
Reid

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Rudy,

You've got it wrong. It's used by Victor to track what AMI sells using Lou as the authenticator, because they don't like and won't run with many things that Lou passes, and now he knows which item(s) came from him as opposed to another auction house if there is a problem. He doen't care and is not intersted in helping Lou track anything

Regards,
Dave

hblakewolf
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Dave-
This is simply classic! Rudy, care to open this can of worms even more?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
All of AMI's catalogues (page 23 in the last one) have an entire page devoted to "The 100% Authentic Team" and ends with the statement:

"Any item listed in American Memorabilia's catalogs
has met the utmost standard of validity and has
received the endorsement of "100% Authentic".

How is that possible if it is only a tracking system?

If this is only a tracking system for Lou, why are other experts listed as members of the "100% Authentic Team?"

This doesn't add up.

kingjammy24
05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
"AMI owns 100% Authentic, the company that is associated with and represented by Lou."

part of me would like to see a shred of evidence that 100% Authentic is actually a genuine company as opposed to nothing more than an outdated, AMI-created website that goes nowhere.

anyway, reid i disagree that lampson works for AMI in the same way that vari and russek work for lelands and gfc respectively. AMI is just one of many of lou's auction house contracts. if you believe that lampson isn't a third-party authenticator for AMI and that he's, for all intents and purposes, a direct AMI employee (simply because lampson is in some way associated with some mystery goo called "100%authentic") then do you believe that lampson is a thirdparty authenticator for vintage or mastro? if so, what's the real difference?

i don't even know the real extent of lampsons relationship with 100%. beyond simply guessing, do you know what it really is? 100% seems to be nothing more than an online repository of lampson AMI certs on an AMI-owned website with AMI contact info. it's more of AMI website than a lampson website and i hesitate to even call it a company. how then is lampson really tied to 100% beyond them simply displaying his certs? if anything, the evidence suggests that 100% is represented by AMI. dave has stated that AMI created it for their own purposes and the evidence indicates this to be likely true. people seem to think lou has some strong connection to 100% but to me, it appears like a complete AMI concoction. none of the contact info goes to lou. instead, it all goes to AMI. you've tied AMI to 100%, however i fail to see any real ties between 100% and lou.

i'm not looking for a semantic debate. you called it a sham and i was genuinely curious to know what you feel is the angle because i can't see it. you say that AMI puts forth 100% as its some third party company. i agree it isn't. 100% is AMI through and through. however, lampson himself is a genuine thirdparty authenticator so, if anything, AMI is just diminishing the appearance of thirdparty objectivity by associating lampson with 100%. they should just ditch 100% and stick solely with the lampson name. you seem to imply that lampson has the same relationship with ami that russek has with gfc and i have no clue how you're arriving at that conclusion. one proclaims his association and is clearly found on the business documents, whereas the other can't be found to have any real business ties whatsoever. for petes sake, its not even a real authentication service! it's nothing more than an online AMI LOA repository. you're treating it as if it's some real company that employs lampson. AMI employs lampson in the same way that Historic or Mastro do. this 100% nonsense is nothing but meaningless vapor.

anyway, i find it a little odd that people are so concerned about whether lampson is really a true third-party authenticator. what does it matter? if he was, would that somehow make his garbage authentications any more valid? he's completely inept. whether he's thirdparty or in someone's pocket is ultimately meaningless. if people are concerned about thirdparty authentications, then why not start with lelands whose authentications are all done in-house?

rudy.

kingjammy24
05-22-2007, 05:17 PM
"It's used by Victor to track what AMI sells using Lou as the authenticator, because they don't like and won't run with many things that Lou passes, and now he knows which item(s) came from him as opposed to another auction house if there is a problem."

dave, thanks for your reply. whether it's used by lou or victor doesn't negate the fact that opening a new entity is the most bizarre way of tracking specific certs that anyone can imagine. you have to agree. AMI could easily differentiate their lampson items by prefixing their unique ids with "LL" and stamping "Lampson" on each LOA. they could also easily track every single aspect of a cert (item, date, consigner, authenticator, grade, etc) in the same way that the rest of the civilized world has been tracking data for the past 50 yrs - unique ids and a database.

once people found out that 100% was just AMI under another name, AMI diminished the appearance of objective authentications. it's hard therefore to believe that their "sham" was to do otherwise. in the same way, it's hard to believe that AMI chose to operate a whole new entity instead of just using a simple database like every other normal business.

you stated that 100% may have originally been intended to be a thirdparty authentication service. any idea if the original intent was then to have this "third party", AMI-owned service do work for AMI? or would AMI just create the service but not use it themselves?
if, on the other hand, it was just a tracking system, then you must admit it's pretty odd to see a testimonial from victor commending his "tracking system" on doing such a great job authenticating.

either victor is off his rocker or there's something more to all of this than is apparent.

rudy.

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Reid,

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

If you do not feel comfortable answering this, please disregard. But I have read your multiple posts that have stated that you have not been paid/compensated by AMI and I have become curious. Being that you both have done editing work for AMI and consign items to AMI, does AMI require you to pay the same consignment/commission fees that are listed in their consignment contract and that others are charged? [See http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/docs/American%20Memorabila%20Consignment%20Contract.pdf]. I know for a fact that, on occasion, AMI has reduced/waived these consignment/commission fees for certain consignors in the past. Your posts that have made a point of stating that you have not been paid/compensated by AMI has sparked my interest. Thanks.

Best,
Reid

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
All of AMI's catalogues (page 23 in the last one) have an entire page devoted to "The 100% Authentic Team" and ends with the statement:

"Any item listed in American Memorabilia's catalogs
has met the utmost standard of validity and has
received the endorsement of "100% Authentic".

How is that possible if it is only a tracking system?

If this is only a tracking system for Lou, why are other experts listed as members of the "100% Authentic Team?"

This doesn't add up.

Rob,

It is used to track items from ALL of their authenticators not just Lou. I think it is irresponsible of you as a forum administrator to insinuate on this forum that there is something other than what I explained going on without bothering to call them and ask them. What exactly are you saying doesn't add up about the website being originally developed years ago to do third party authentications ( much like Grey Flannel does) deciding against doing that and simply using it to certs for their items?

Regards,
Dave

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Dave,

If you do not feel comfortable answering this, please disregard. But I have read your multiple posts that have stated that you have not been paid/compensated by AMI and I have become curious. Being that you both have done editing work for AMI and consign items to AMI, does AMI require you to pay the same consignment/commission fees that are listed in their consignment contract and that others are charged? [See http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/docs/American%20Memorabila%20Consignment%20Contract.pdf]. I know for a fact that, on occasion, AMI has reduced/waived these consignment/commission fees for certain consignors in the past. Your posts that have made a point of stating that you have not been paid/compensated by AMI has sparked my interest. Thanks.

Best,
Reid
Reid,

The answer is no. I am charged the normal consignment rate. Here is an item I cut and pasted out of my last consignment sheet to prove:

Lot: 106 Muhammad Ali Signed Print by Steve Kaufman

Authentication: PSA/DNA Auction House Letter
$2,301.00

15%
$345.15
$1,955.85

Regards,
Dave

sportscentury
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Dave,

Thanks. This information helps me to have greater respect for your defense of Victor and his companies. I appreciate your response.

Best,
Reid

ChrisCavalier
05-22-2007, 07:02 PM
What exactly are you saying doesn't add up about the website being originally developed years ago to do third party authentications ( much like Grey Flannel does) deciding against doing that and simply using it to certs for their items?
Hello Dave,

After reading this thread, I think there appears to be some confusion because some people aren't exactly sure what 100% Authentic is. For example, Eric posted the following testimonial from the 100% Authentic website:

100% Authentic offers us superior service in every way. They provide us the fast service we require for our auction house and to run our very popular online auction site. The quality authentication that Lou Lampson provides is second to none. In addition, We can track our certificates efficiently, and they get them back quickly..."

Vic Moreno, President

I think this may have caused some to think 100% Authentic was an actual entity independent to AMI. Along the same lines, the AMI catalogs state items in their auction "have received the endorsement of 100% Authentic" and also refers to the 100% authentic team. On the other hand, there have been parts of this thread that have stated "It's simply a tracking system for certs issued." I think that may be why there is some confusion.

To try to keep things simple, I think answers to the following questions might help everyone understand 100% Authentic more clearly:

1) Is 100% Authentic an actual company composed of the members listed in the AMI catalog?

2) If 100% Authentic is a company, is it independent of AMI or some form of subsidiary of AMI?

3) If 100% Authentic is not an actual entity, can be best described as a mechanism to refer to the independent authenticators that evaluate AMI's items and serve as a storing house for any certs written?

If you wouldn't mind taking a bit more of your time to respond, I'm thinking the answers to those questions will hopefully clear up the confusion for a number of people on the forum.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sincerely,
Chris

CollectGU
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Chris,

I think #3. What baffles me is the insinuations by some forum members there is something going on here that is inappropriate.

Regards,
Dave

Eric
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I think what's confusing is the wording in some of the AMI auction listings which may lead people to think 100 percent authentic is an independent authentication service.

It seems that it is not, even thought the 100 percent authentic website says they take submissions.

You have to admit, the Vic Moreno testimonial representing AMI praising 100 percent authentic which apparently is not a company is bizarre and causes one to scratch one's head.

So back to the original situation which generated in this thread. I guess the Better Business Bureau is correct in contacting American Memorabilia to get 100 Percent Authentic to respond to questions about the manner in which things are authenticated.

Eric
05-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Interesting postscript to this story:

I went to look at AMI tonight and my account has been deleted.

If it had to do with being contacted by the Better Business Bureau, again, my problem was not with AMI, but rather 100% Authentic for not ever answering my questions.

The BBB was the one who contacted AMI because I guess they determined AMI runs 100% Authentic.

I assume that's why American Memorabilia is upset with me. Because I could not get 100% authentic to respond to a single question about their methods of authentication. If that's somehow my fault, then so be it.

It's also interesting to note that Lou Lampson's name has been removed from the listing of American Memorabilia authenticators

Now under game used memorabilia, the authenticator AMI uses is listed as the "100% Authentic Team"

But if what Dave O'Brien says is correct and 100% Authentic is not a company after all, but just a system to log certs, then how can their be a 100% Authentic Team.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Authentication.asp?

I'm sure I pissed everyone off at AMI, which was not my intention. I was just trying to sort out a very confusing situation.

Eric

reed1216
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
The LOAs don't need a tracking system as much as Dr. Lampson, himself does. :eek:

Nathan
05-26-2007, 08:35 AM
The LOAs don't need a tracking system as much as Dr. Lampson, himself does. :eek:

Oh, is he a doctor now too?

"This patient does in fact have two legs. They show wear to them as a result of walking on them for roughly 40 years. The patient wears pants, which are apropos for someone in a Western society. I would estimate the patient's waist size to be 36, judging from the number 32 on a tag in his pants.

I will be operating on said patient. I've never actually operated on someone, but I do have a library of various medical textbooks as well as a complete DVD set of 'Marcus Welby, M.D.' and 'Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman' in my entertainment center at home."

Eric
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I have not heard back from American Memorabilia about why my account will not function.

I hope if they deleted my account, they realized they owe me a consignment check. Wonder if that information still exists.

If it was done on purpose, they just lost someone who spent a great deal of money with them over the years and even used them as one of only a couple of places to consign with.

I will let you all know if I hear anything.

Meanwhile, I also wonder if since they took Lampson's name off their specific list of authenticators, that means anything about his employment with 100% Authentic/American Memorabilia. If he no longer works for them, that's significant OR if they're taking his name off so as not to attract negative publicity but he still works for them, that speaks volumes as well. Either way it's an acknowledgment from AMI that Mr. Lampson's name might not be the best way to get bids.
If anyone thinks my interpretation is incorrect, I'd love to discuss.
Eric

RobSteinmetz
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I have not heard back from American Memorabilia about why my account will not function.

Eric,

If you hear back from AMI as to why your account is not functioning, please let me know. I am having similar trouble with my account.

Thanks,

ChrisCavalier
05-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey Eric and Rob,

After reading your posts I think I need to ask a question. I went to the AMI site and tried to login. When I did I got a message stating my account login had failed. I then went to the 'Email Account Login' screen and typed in my email address to have my password sent to me (I was thinking maybe I typed in the wrong password). When I hit 'Send Login' I get a message that states "We are unable to find account information for [my email address]".

Is this the same problem you are both experiencing? If so, I guess my account does not function either. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Sincerely,
Chris

Eric
05-30-2007, 06:34 PM
That's what happens with me...
Eric

staindsox
05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
I am not sure how to pose this question and I mean to do so with respect and as delicately as possible, so...considering the many peculiar circumstances with Lampson and this auction house, why would you want to do business with them anyway? Just a thought.

Chris

Eric
05-30-2007, 08:52 PM
If you do your own homework on something and are comfortable buying, then it doesn't matter what the lampson letter says.

staindsox
05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
My point is if they're dishonest with their authenticator, how do you know they're not scamming in another way...like shill bidding, buying back their own items, putting up their own items, etc??? It's crazy to think they area only base dealing in only one area.

Secondly, we all complain about Lampson and the auction houses that hire him. If nobody bid on a Lampson, their sales would slump, and they may actually have to hire a legit authenticator.

My point is, even if you do your homework, you're enabling when you continue to do business with these guys.

Eric
05-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Mr. Lampson is again listed as one of AMI's authenticators for 100% Authentic

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/authentication.asp

Lou Lampson 100% Authentic

Lou Lampson is considered by collectors, ex-athletes, and equipment managers, alike as the foremost authority and analyst in the field. He has authenticated for the National Sports Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, The College Football HOF, Texas Sports HOF, Upper Deck Authenticated and the hobby's major auction huoses. Lou has over thirty years' experience in collecting, authenticating and appraising game-used uniforms and related equipment. He owns an extensive "Perfect 10" representations and has an astonishing 8,000 plus uniform-related photos in his reference library.

sportscentury
05-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I am not sure how to pose this question and I mean to do so with respect and as delicately as possible, so...considering the many peculiar circumstances with Lampson and this auction house, why would you want to do business with them anyway? Just a thought.

Chris

Chris,

You read my mind. What item could be worth doing business with them? Even if they had Lefty's 1980 World Series uniform, I would not even think to bid.

Reid

suave1477
05-31-2007, 12:55 AM
I hate to say this anot to throw wood into the fire but just speaking my piece towards this topic of where it has ended up.

Anything that has a Lampson letter including if it was a Strawberry Game Used item I would not touch. As far as I am concerned once it has a Lampson letter it is a tainted item by having his name attached to it.

I am not saying I will never ever buy an item, I am just saying for now I see too many items out there that he passes that are clearly questionable.

allstarsplus
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Chris,

You read my mind. What item could be worth doing business with them? Even if they had Lefty's 1980 World Series uniform, I would not even think to bid.

Reid
STAINDSOX My point is if they're dishonest with their authenticator, how do you know they're not scamming in another way...like shill bidding, buying back their own items, putting up their own items, etc??? It's crazy to think they area only base dealing in only one area.

Secondly, we all complain about Lampson and the auction houses that hire him. If nobody bid on a Lampson, their sales would slump, and they may actually have to hire a legit authenticator.

My point is, even if you do your homework, you're enabling when you continue to do business with these guys.Today 01:52 AMChris and Reid - I said the same thing too in prior posts. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, but unless you boycott these auction houses you are aiding and abetting their patterns of questionable business ethics.

I can just see some of these auction houses laughing that here Eric and other members of this site are critical of items on their auctions then they receive consignments and/or bids from these same critics.

It just wreaks of hyprocrisy in my opinion.

I said it before and I will say it again that nothing short of a full boycott is acceptable until they clean of their act.

Andrew

ahuff
05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Chris and Reid - I said the same thing too in prior posts. Everyone is free to do whatever they want, but unless you boycott these auction houses you are aiding and abetting their patterns of questionable business ethics.

I can just see some of these auction houses laughing that here Eric and other members of this site are critical of items on their auctions then they receive consignments and/or bids from these same critics.

It just wreaks of hyprocrisy in my opinion.

I said it before and I will say it again that nothing short of a full boycott is acceptable until they clean of their act.

Andrew
Andrew,

Nicely put. Now, this is going way back to my economics classes, but I remember your philosophy being discussed. It is known as Dollar Voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_voting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_voting)

People are stating their opinions/voting everytime they spend every dollar!!! The most efficient way to end Lou's practices is for each individual collector to make his decision. We need to simplly ask ourselves, "Is this item worth supporting Lou's cause?" Personally, I haven't found an item worth it, yet!!!

Eric
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
I will respond to the previous comments with some ideas off the top of my head, so I apologize if it seems like I'm all over the place.

I think you guys are correct that it is ridiculous to spend money with certain auction houses. This is a personal decision for everyone.

However, let's say AMI sells an item with NFL Auctions letter, would you buy that? What about if AMI sold an item from Peyton Manning's foundation, would you buy that? if you could photomatch an item they're selling after having done your homework, would you buy that? Let's say it came from a player's personal collection, would you buy that?

Perhaps the answer is no to some of you, but I think I would have to take it on a case by case basis. As far as american memorabilia is concerned, I have always had good luck talking with tony giese about my questions and concerns.

I have just made the personal decision to not depend on lampson's word. I trust that I'm going to have to figure it out myself. That's probably a smart thing, because you can't get your questions answered by him anyway.

As crazy as it's going to sound, I'll say it- Lou Lampson isn't necessarily the bad guy here. It's the places who throw hundreds of jerseys in front of his face in the span of a few hours and act like he has done a thorough job on every one. He can't possibly do a thorough job on all the items given the amount he has to do in the amount of time he has to do it in.

I understand that. The new-to-the-hobby collector who relies on the COA doesn't understand that. There's when we have a problem. And that's why places like the forum can point out questionable items and when there are mistakes ask them to be removed. (Now if questioning certain items is what got Chris, Rob and me banned from AMI, then that raises some very serious issues. Consumers are allowed to ask questions and should not be punished for doing so)

I don't think auction houses are laughing at hearing that any of us would do business with these companies. They're still feeling it. I can't speak for everyone, but I still am voting with my wallet. I do a lot less business with these auction houses than I used to. I still leave myself the option of buying from them if I am comfortable with the item, but it's few and far between at this point.

If I shut off every auction house that 1) used Lou Lampson 2) did not disclose conflicts of interest and 3) did not modify the items in their inventory, I'd be out of the hobby. How many places are left?

Another point- this is a hobby and I am a collector. The hobby includes many one of a kind items- it's not like baseball card collecting where if you didn't like one dealer, you could go somewhere else to by the same item. If an item is at auction, this might be your only chance at it.

If I were in the market for a Manny Ramirez game used piece, which are all over the place, sure, I guess I would pick the dealer I trust the most. BUT when you're looking at what's in an auction house's inventory you have to be comfortable with the item and then decide if it's worth dealing with the company.

In another thread jake33 wrote that he got a Derrick Brooks shirt from the Derrick Brooks Foundation from Historic Auctions. He was fine with taking the leap knowing in his words that they lack customer service. He would choose to do business with them, so his line is in a different place than yours or mine.

I respect those who are willing to take a stand and protest certain places. The stands I take are to try to point out to the auction houses what needs to be done to share the proper information with their customers. Auction houses need to answer questions. They have to be honest about conflicts of interest. They should disclose things like if the authentication service is a company run by the auction house- those kinds of things. And everyone of us has to have a personal line and decide where to draw it.

Just my opinion and I respect all of yours and would love to continue this
Eric

CollectGU
05-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Rob ,

Maybe what got you banned from bidding is an irresponsible questioning of 100% authentic on a forum without calling and asking them (especially as a forum administartor). I know that Denny Esken gave Rob a complete history and reason why 100% authentic started which would help clear things up. Rob decided not to offer this valuable info to the forum but was quick in earlier posts to insinuate that they were doing somehting improper. If you are only going to insinuate negativity even in the light of being offered information that may not jive with your original insinuations then why would they want to do business with you?
Regards,
Dave

kingjammy24
05-31-2007, 09:50 PM
"As crazy as it's going to sound, I'll say it- Lou Lampson isn't necessarily the bad guy here. It's the places who throw hundreds of jerseys in front of his face in the span of a few hours and act like he has done a thorough job on every one. He can't possibly do a thorough job on all the items given the amount he has to do in the amount of time he has to do it in."

lampson is a grown man, supposedly with over 30 yrs experience in the field. he signs contracts, of his own free will, knowing full well the number of items and deadlines. noone holds a gun to his head. if he feels he can't do a good job, for whatever reason, then he shouldn't sign the contracts. at a minimum, common sense would dictate that he inform his employers that his accuracy will be jeopardized if he's inundated. at the end of the day, the only person who can give a positive lou lampson authentication is lou lampson. noone can force lou to do anything, including signing off an item. if lou signs off on an item it's because he chose to. if he felt he couldn't be thorough, why would he even accept the contracts or sign off on the items? would you sign off on an item you weren't confident in?
obviously, lou knows he can't do a thorough job. the auction houses know he can't do a thorough job. both of them know this before lou's even begun. the item counts and deadlines bear this obvious truth. if you were going to authenticate for an auction house, wouldn't your first questions be "how many items?" and "by when?" ? if they told you "300 items, 2 days", would you accept those terms? any sane, ethical person wouldn't. do you blame the auction house for placing so many items in front of him and giving such a short turnaround time or do you blame lou for accepting those terms and furthermore signing off on the items? no auction house can force lampson to do anything, including putting his name to something he doesn't feel confident about. he accepts the numbers and the deadlines and he does it knowing it's unrealistic.

eric, we're not even talking about inaccuracies here or doing a "thorough job". the man literally makes up stories. when he said that cano was the only player documented to have worn #14 in 2005, who told him to do that? the auction house? it had nothing to do with being short on time or even being sloppy. the man literally just invents ridiculous little stories in order to have his authencations make sense. are those his fault or the auction house? at the end of the day, lou is responsible for lou. everything's he done has been his decision. he's not sitting there at an auction house, being held captive by armed guards. lou is the bad guy here. why do you suppose he's the only big industry name who's chosen to to make himself completely unreachable?

rudy.

Eric
05-31-2007, 11:14 PM
"
lampson is a grown man, supposedly with over 30 yrs experience in the field. he signs contracts, of his own free will, knowing full well the number of items and deadlines. noone holds a gun to his head. if he feels he can't do a good job, for whatever reason, then he shouldn't sign the contracts. at a minimum, common sense would dictate that he inform his employers that his accuracy will be jeopardized if he's inundated. at the end of the day, the only person who can give a positive lou lampson authentication is lou lampson. noone can force lou to do anything, including signing off an item. if lou signs off on an item it's because he chose to. if he felt he couldn't be thorough, why would he even accept the contracts or sign off on the items? would you sign off on an item you weren't confident in?"

Rudy
You're totally right. We all make choices in life. Lou chose to sign a contract to put his name on a certain amount of pieces knowing that because of the volume he has agreed to take on, he will make mistakes.

The auction houses who employ him have chosen to accept the percentages and those mistakes. (For some reason they get angry when people point out the mistakes, but that's another matter)

They have also chosen to do business with a person who has no contact information. How stupid is that. Don't they realize that if Lampson provided the proof of his work, or bothered to make himself available to answer questions, the pieces would sell for even more?

[QUOTE=kingjammy24;41728]"[I]eric, we're not even talking about inaccuracies here or doing a "thorough job". the man literally makes up stories. when he said that cano was the only player documented to have worn #14 in 2005, who told him to do that? the auction house? it had nothing to do with being short on time or even being sloppy. the man literally just invents ridiculous little stories in order to have his authencations make sense. are those his fault or the auction house? at the end of the day, lou is responsible for lou. lou is the bad guy here. why do you suppose he's the only big industry name who's chosen to to make himself completely unreachable?

rudy.

Yes, you're correct here as well. We should keep a running tally of all of the things he has made up. It is one thing to be wrong, it's another to fabricate a story out of thin air.

You definitely have a point- If a man who is paid for his opinion makes up a fact to add value to the item, that is actually criminal.

(Prediction- somewhere in this thread will be a doctored photo of Lou Lampson sharing a jail cell with Paris Hilton. Gentlemen, start your photoshops)
Eric

Eric
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Rob ,

Maybe what got you banned from bidding is an irresponsible questioning of 100% authentic on a forum without calling and asking them (especially as a forum administartor). I know that Denny Esken gave Rob a complete history and reason why 100% authentic started which would help clear things up. Rob decided not to offer this valuable info to the forum but was quick in earlier posts to insinuate that they were doing somehting improper. If you are only going to insinuate negativity even in the light of being offered information that may not jive with your original insinuations then why would they want to do business with you?
Regards,
Dave

Dave
I would be very careful about baiting people. It is against the rules and you should know better than that. You clearly have a problem with Rob. You did the same thing in another thread. Please take another look at the rules of the forum and if you choose to follow those rules you can continue to post. Consider this a warning.
Eric

lund6771
06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Dave...

I am now also banned from bidding at AMI...Since you have been dubbed as the Spokesman by AMI to this site, I look forward to your response...

I took a 10 year hiatus from the hobby and reintered the hobby last year...I asked a friend which auction house I should consign some items to..He suggested AMI...I had never heard of them before, but I called them anyways...I consigned 3 items which realized close to $25K...I was told that I would be paid within 30 days of the close of the auction...1 month went by..."the check is going out on Friday"...2 more weeks go by..."your Check is going out on Monday"...a few more weeks go by....same BS...I received payment well over the time frame that was discussed...and guess what?...it was well short!!!...I contacted them immediately and they told me that one of the items hadn't been paid for...they couldn't have told me this 2 months ago?...Furthmore they had already placed the item into their next auction without consulting me!!!...I looked up their site and sure enough it was in the next auction...I felt discomfort that it was being run again so quickly and they told me that many times items have gone for much more the 2nd time around...mine went for 25% less...I guess that was my own risk...I expressed to them my dissatisfaction of their practices...I would have thought that after my experiences, they would at least try to salvage me as a customer by accelerating payment to me the 2nd time around...but it took the same time frame to get paid...

In the REAL world, if you continuosly treat customers this way you get eliminated

That was last summer and I discovered this site last Fall...I have never mentioned any of this until now

A few months ago there was a thread asking opinions of AMI...I posted that they have some nice stuff, but don't hold your breath getting paid, it took me around 6 months...shortly after posting this, I received a letter from AMI's attornies demanding that I retract my post because they had proof that they paid me in a timely fashion...I immediately called their attorny and told him the whole story...I never heard from him again...

was I banned for being lied to?...for telling the truth?

Even though I was disgusted with these experiences, I still held them above VA and Historic because AMI pulled items from their auctions that were shown to be questionable...Now it appears they are banning people the same way that Historic has...It appears that they have sunk that low

It's obvious that AMI reads these posts...why don't they respond themselves?...why do they hide behind you Dave?...To me honest people don't need to hind...

CollectGU
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Lund6771,

I have no knowledge of this. I do know from experience that it takes 45-65 days to get paid. If you were told somehting else, they were wrong for that. It happens about an item not being paid for and it is common practice that it goes into the next auction. I had an A's Joe Rudi jersey not be paid for in the first auction and it went in the next auction and sold for almost double the first auction results.

Regards,
Dave

CollectGU
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Dave
I would be very careful about baiting people. It is against the rules and you should know better than that. You clearly have a problem with Rob. You did the same thing in another thread. Please take another look at the rules of the forum and if you choose to follow those rules you can continue to post. Consider this a warning.
Eric

Eric,

Aren't you curoius why the information given to him about 100% Authentic was never posted by him up here? Isn't there some kind of responsibility as a fourm admin. to provide all relevant information received on a topic whre the business practcies of a company are being questioned so at least it gives give the appearance of objectivitiy?

Regards,
Dave

RobSteinmetz
06-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Dave,

Your post about my having received some sort of inside information about 100% Authentic from Dennis Esken is inaccurate. I received no information from Denny that would provide forum members with any more insight than you've already shared about this groundbreaking tracking system. Even if I had, I would not share any information from a private conversation in a public forum without Denny's consent.

Best,

lund6771
06-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Lund6771,

I have no knowledge of this. I do know from experience that it takes 45-65 days to get paid. If you were told somehting else, they were wrong for that. It happens about an item not being paid for and it is common practice that it goes into the next auction. I had an A's Joe Rudi jersey not be paid for in the first auction and it went in the next auction and sold for almost double the first auction results.

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

So I understand correctly...it is a "common practice" for AMI to not inform a consignor that an item hadn't been paid for...and without consent, put into their next auction?

I think that maybe these "practices" should be disclosed on their website...

Pete

CollectGU
06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Dave,

Your post about my having received some sort of inside information about 100% Authentic from Dennis Esken is inaccurate. I received no information from Denny that would provide forum members with any more insight than you've already shared about this groundbreaking tracking system. Even if I had, I would not share any information from a private conversation in a public forum without Denny's consent.

Best,

Rob,

It wasn't inside information. It was a history of how and why it was started as he was around from the beginning which makes everything very plausibler as opposed to your quote and insinuation about "something not being right" with 100% authentic...Am I incorrect or was this info provided? On another note, I do find it commendable that you and Chris offered to buy back the Bears jersey. I believe that it actually made it to AMI on consignment but was rejected and returned. I believe it now may now sit with Steve Jensen at Vintage, but I am not positive. You may want to reach out to him and let him know your offer so that he can let the consignor know.

Regards,
Dave

RobSteinmetz
06-01-2007, 11:01 PM
your quote and insinuation about "something not being right" with 100% authentic

Dave,

Once again, you are posting inaccurate information (this time misquoting me). I NEVER said the words "something isn't right" with 100% Authentic.
Also, as previously stated, I will not discuss my private phone conversations in a public forum. All I can say is that Denny Esken didn't provide me with any information that I felt as though shed additional light on this rather unique tracking system and it's team of trackers.

rbalm
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Interesting how the moderators have been banned by AMI. Could it be that GUU auction is now the competition, even though they have yet to have their first auction. Speaking about slow pay. I did call AMI to find out when I was going to get paid for something I had in their March 29 auction. Hmmm checks will be cut June 15th and sent out. Almost 90 days! I hoped they enjoyed the interest on my money they owe me.

Adam

ChrisCavalier
06-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Hello Dave,

I must say that I think there is an issue with your posts being both accusatory and being based on inaccurate information. In looking back, Rob's post seemed to simply express his confusion regarding seemingly conflicting information out there. In fact, I am personally still confused by what has been stated.

For the purpose of clarifying things for our members, in a previous post I asked you specifically if 100% Authentic:

1) Is an actual company composed of the members listed in the AMI catalog?

2) If 100% Authentic is a company, is it independent of AMI or some form of subsidiary of AMI?

3) If 100% Authentic is not an actual entity, can be best described as a mechanism to refer to the independent authenticators that evaluate AMI's items and serves as a storing house for any certs written?

You stated you thought it is option #3 listed above. Yet, when you look at AMI's website for their current auction, in the item descriptions, under 'Authenticators' it states "100% Authentic Team" with the explanation that "A team of experts inspects and authenticates each item by the authority they have in that particular field." Personally, I don't see how anyone would interpret the "100% Authentic Team" as not being an entity as you stated above (especially since the individual authenticators are not even listed in the item descriptions).

At the end of the day, Rob's post seemed to be an attempt to clear up something that I still don't even understand (and I am a magna cum laude graduate so please don't claim this is easy to understand and I just don't get it). Further, I think your accusatory posts based on misinformation, including a post that even misquotes Rob (with your use of quotes around words he didn't use), clearly are out of line.

BTW, just out of sheer curiosity, why am I "banned from bidding" in AMI's auctions? If you look at the history of my posts I probably gave AMI the benefit of the doubt in previous threads as much as anyone on the forum (excluding you of course). And, in this thread, I thought my post simply tried to help clarify the situation. Here is a link to my previous post:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=41055&postcount=35

Is there something specific I have done that has warranted a "ban" from AMI? Maybe I'm oblivious to some criteria that would be useful in determining when people should be banned from sites.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

CollectGU
06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Chris,

I cannot speak as to why AMI is not intersted in doing business with you. but maybe you should pick up the phone and ask instead of asking me. Secondly, I apologize that for misquoting Rob - it was "something doesn't add up" but the connotation of something being inappropriate is still the same. I would also suggest that as the owner of the forum and now competitor of all auction houses, you no longer sit idlely by and allow irresponsible posts to be made calling the competion a "sham" allowing posters to insinuate that there is something inappropriate going on with another auction house, without any facts to back up these insinuations. Especially when you can simply call the auction house to explain to them your "confusion" so they can speak with you directly and help clarify this confusion you have. By simply picking up the phone and doing this you eliminate all this silly nonsense back and forth. It would help to eliminate the appearance that maybe you have lost objectivity and don't mind the competition being questioned unfairly becasue after all they are your competition. I know this wasn't your intent, but a simple phone call to Victor who you have known for a long time I think would have been appropriate. I will not post again here on this subject because there is nothing being discussed here that is helping the collecting community - it has become a back and forth pissing match....

Regards,
Dave

ChrisCavalier
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello Dave,

Just to close the loop, I think the thread was generated because Eric was hoping to get answers to some questions first outside the forum and he was directed to 100% Authentic. I believe Eric tried to get these answers directly as per his statement in one of his posts that "...I could not get 100% authentic to respond to a single question about their methods of authentication." It appears Eric then created the thread to try to understand more about 100% Authentic and how to get his questions answered.

I think the thread then led to some further questions because people were confused by the explanation provided in this thread that 100% Authentic was not an entity. This clearly would have an impact on how Eric would go about getting responses to his questions.

At the end of the day, AMI and/or 100% Authentic is free to do whatever they like and they can also choose to answer or not answer questions here directly. That is certainly their prerogative. However, given the apparent confusion created by your answers on this thread, I actually participated to try to get the thread directed back to where Eric could get his original questions answered. Unfortunately, I'm still not sure whether Eric is there yet or not (Eric would have to answer that question).

Notably, if anyone at 100% Authentic and/or AMI has the desire to contact me to provide answers to the questions on this thread, please feel free to let them know they can reach me anytime at the numbers below. I will be happy to pass on any information they care to share if they don't want to post directly.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier
Office - 925.552.8023
Cell - 925.413.1429

Eric
06-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I am no closer to understanding this situation. Dave O'Brien says it's not an authentication service, and then i see an ad in the new American Memorabilia publication welcoming Ron Fukushima as 100% Authentic's newest authenticator. So it is an authentication service, but it's not... but it is.

If it's a system to track COAs, why are they hiring authenticators?

I have made 3 attempts to email American Memorabila in the last 5 days and have not gotten a response.

I welcome a response to my email address- ecky3@aol.com

If anyone can explain this situation to me, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not saying anyone is being underhanded, I'm just trying to comprehend what's going on. If you read the first post in this thread, I tried to contact 100% Authentic and didn't get a response so I contacted the Better Business Bureau. The BBB in turn sent the complaint to AMI. That's where the confusion started and remains.
Thanks
Eric

sylbry
06-04-2007, 05:38 PM
From this thread I am drawing the conclusion that 100% Authentic is nothing more than a letterhead owned by American Memorabilia used for printing their predetermined auction description which is to be signed by their puppet Lou Lampson in the hopes of giving bidders a false sense of third party independent authentication meanwhile shielding both parties from blame if a discrepancy arises.

Bryan

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Eric
06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
From this thread I am drawing the conclusion that 100% Authentic is nothing more than a letterhead owned by American Memorabilia used for printing their predetermined auction description which is to be signed by their puppet Lou Lampson in the hopes of giving bidders a false sense of third party independent authentication meanwhile shielding both parties from blame if a discrepancy arises.

Bryan

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I actually think this is an unfair statement. I'm just guessing, but it doesn't seem like it's a front- the authenticators look at the items and make their judgments. They're not signing whatever is put in front of them. It's just unclear if the authentication company is also owned by the auction house. It appears to be and if so, that should be disclosed so the potential bidders can make an informed choice.
Eric

FANZ4EVER
06-04-2007, 07:27 PM
[quote=Eric;42077]I am no closer to understanding this situation. Dave O'Brien says it's not an authentication service, and then i see an ad in the new American Memorabilia publication welcoming Ron Fukushima as 100% Authentic's newest authenticator. So it is an authentication service, but it's not... but it is.

Speaking about Ron Fukushima AMI got a really good winner check this out. My Friend bought a jersey from him in the mid 90’s it was a cowboys Thanksgiving Day double star throwback jersey. He was bragging about that jersey. He was so happy that he got that jersey from Ron that he would not stop talking about it right until he read a full page ad in the SCD from another collector who also bought a double star Thanksgiving Day jersey from Ron, asking people who bought these Cowboy throwbacks to contact him. This collector contacted the Cowboys directly and spoke to the equipment manger and found out that the Cowboys only wore them for one game and he still had them in stock and that he was going to give them to the players at the end of the season. This started a long process to for my friend to recover his money. My friend really did buy a Cowboy “turkey” from Ron and he is now one of the new authenticators for AMI in what….fake jerseys. This calls for a new thread.

sportscentury
06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
It's just unclear if the authentication company is also owned by the auction house. It appears to be and if so, that should be disclosed so the potential bidders can make an informed choice.
Eric

(cough, cough) Wait a second, I thought 100% Authentic was just American Memorabilia's "tracking system." (cough, cough)

I've really got to take something for this nasty cold.
:rolleyes:

On a serious (and ironic) note, I would absolutely love to be banned by AMI. No matter how many times I have asked, though, they continue to solicit my business with countless emails and catalogs. Dave, can you help me out?

Eric
06-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Fanz-
Please email me at ecky3@aol.com
Thanks
Eric

sylbry
06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I actually think this is an unfair statement. I'm just guessing, but it doesn't seem like it's a front- the authenticators look at the items and make their judgments. They're not signing whatever is put in front of them. It's just unclear if the authentication company is also owned by the auction house. It appears to be and if so, that should be disclosed so the potential bidders can make an informed choice.
Eric

It could be an unfair statement. I don't disagree. But in the eyes of this collector, this is how it appears to be.

I am not looking to argue nor defend my statement. Just pointing out my perception regarding the lack of info surrounding 100% Authentic. And I would be 100% receptive to them telling me otherwise.

I mean no ill will. Heck, this isn't even my thread to argue. If I am proven wrong I would be happy to retract my statement and publicly apologize. But at the moment my above statement is the most logical conclusion I can come up with given the information provided.

Bryan

kingjammy24
07-18-2007, 04:24 PM
found this statement from rich ellis:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
docellis
Veteran
Member # 336
posted July 05, 2007 01:23 PM

Just to set the record straight I have never been a member of the 100% authentic team and nor will I be. Call me and if you want my reasons why.

I do authenticate hockey items for AMI but it’s through me and no one else.

The 100 % authentic team does have some respectable people that really know stuff.

Again just wanted to set the record straight.

Rich Ellis

--------------------
CEO of Dropthepucks.com and the Spirit of the Game.
(763) 537-4572
Please visit
www.dropthepucks.com/sotg (http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fyi, rich ellis authenticates items for AMI. here is his AMI bio:
Game Worn Hockey Memorabilia - Rich Ellis

Rich Ellis, a long time game worn jersey collector with over 29 years of experience, started dropthepucks.com in 1999 to catalog all of the versions of every team jersey ever made (an ambitious goal!). Rich's current site is The Spirit of the Game.
Rich graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1989 with a Bachelor of Science degree in business management. Rich purchased his first game worn jersey in the summer of 1976, and has been in the hobby ever since. Rich has been to countless shows all across North America and has seen thousands upon thousands of jerseys.
Rich also worked for one of the leading auction houses in North America, he was the director of hockey acquisitions for Lelands.com in 2003. Rich has also been a member of the Society for International Hockey Research since 2004. He authenticates hockey memorabilia for the following major auction houses, Broadway Rick's Strikezone, Geppis Road show, American Memorabilia. Rich has also helped Lelands.com and Mastronet.com on authentications.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

so, one of AMI's authenticators is saying that he "has never been nor will ever be" part of their... tracking system. maybe someone can take him up on his offer to call him and have him explain why he won't be part of a tracking system.

rudy.