PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mussina - 6 Jerseys hanging...........

JimCaravello
05-28-2007, 02:02 AM
After suffering through another Yankees loss on Sunday, I was watching the post game interviews and during the interview with Mussina, I noticed at least 6 pinstripe jerseys hanging in the locker behind him - that's right, 6 pinstripe jerseys. Here's a pitcher who starts every 5th day and it just shows you how many jerseys the current day players are going through. I would love to see how they were all tagged.

During the game, I witnessed a first for me to see - Torre was booed after making a pitching change during the game.........it's not looking good Yankees fans............

Jim

metsbats
05-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I think the Yankees should join the rest of the MLB and add some white black alternates, and maybe a vest to their wardrobe. It'll add nice variety for Yankee collectors and a nice pinstripe vest with the interlocking N and Y would look really spiffy!

David

JETEFAN
05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Jim, I noticed the same thing, and that's not counting the one in the hamper from use that day.
I would also think that Steiner probably has a couple, And it's only May!!!

George

sportscentury
05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Jim,

Very interesting stuff. This would explain why so many of the Steiner game used Yankees jerseys show very light use. I don't understand, though, why they would need to have 6 extra home jerseys in his locker. What point is there to that?

Reid

dcrules01
05-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Im sure they will all fetch top dollar also...

Carlevv
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Guys, when i worked in the clubhouse it was a common thing for a pitcher to rotate jerseys throughout the game because of sweat. Some guys would have me run thier jersey up to put it in the dryer and they would swithch every inning rotating between two. Roger Clemens would wear a different jersey and a different hat every innning in his last couple years with the Yankees. Position players really never did this but every now and then you might see a guy put on his back up.

reed1216
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
This is very interesting. I purchased a Steiner Mussina pinstripe jersey and the wear is similar to the Giambi and Randy Johnson jerseys I also own- very light. The Giambi is described as from the Yankees road opening series of 2006 and the Johnson is from the home opening series of 2006 and is photomatched.

The other recent Yankee jerseys in my collection display far more wear. Among them is a 2003 road Clemens and a 2006 road Sheffield, which are very well worn. I also saw a Steiner Giambi that is on Grey Flannel's website that has awesome use to it.

I imagine it's a very inexact science that's based entirely on the preferences of the player. Player comfort, as well as superstitions are probably big factors in determining the extent that a player wears a given jersey. I wish Steiner tracked the games/innings that the players used the jerseys they sell. MeiGray has such an amazing game tracking system and I'm surprised that more companies don't follow suit.

sportscentury
05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
This is very interesting. I purchased a Steiner Mussina pinstripe jersey and the wear is similar to the Giambi and Randy Johnson jerseys I also own- very light. The Giambi is described as from the Yankees road opening series of 2006 and the Johnson is from the home opening series of 2006 and is photomatched.

The other recent Yankee jerseys in my collection display far more wear. Among them is a 2003 road Clemens and a 2006 road Sheffield, which are very well worn. I also saw a Steiner Giambi that is on Grey Flannel's website that has awesome use to it.

I imagine it's a very inexact science that's based entirely on the preferences of the player. Player comfort, as well as superstitions are probably big factors in determining the extent that a player wears a given jersey. I wish Steiner tracked the games/innings that the players used the jerseys they sell. MeiGray has such an amazing game tracking system and I'm surprised that more companies don't follow suit.

Reed,

I highlighted the sections of your post above so that you would know the specific statements to which I'm responding. As to your Mussina, Big Unit, and Giambi jerseys, I'd say that the vast majority of the game used Yankees jerseys from Steiner that I've seen have had very light use. If players are using 6-7 jerseys a game, as CarleVV says, this would explain the exceptionally light use, of course - especially if they get a new set of 6-7 jerseys for each game. Seems like a lot to me, but I guess anything is possible. This certainly isn't how it used to work in the old days (ahhh, the old days).

As to tracking systems, there was a thread on GUF several months back in which some Steiner fanatics tried to convince me that Steiner's tracking system was superior to MeiGray's. Well, I wasn't a buyer then, and I'm not a buyer now (in fact, I didn't find their arguments to be at all persuasive). I agree with you entirely that MeiGray's tracking system is FAR SUPERIOR and I also share your surprise that more companies/entities have not followed their lead. I would love to see MeiGray become the exclusive dealer for MLB (please note that I don't have a lick of financial interest in MeiGray whatsoever).

Best,
Reid

P.S. Congrats on photomatching your Big Unit jersey - even if the jersey shows very light use, your photomatch means that it is REAL, which is a great feeling, especially when you are considering a jersey that does not look all that worn.

hiramman
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
What kind of tracking system does Steiner have. I'm not familiar with it. I assumed they just put their holograms on them. Do the holograms have numbers or codes on them that you can go to their website and get a little bit of info about the piece?

Carlevv
05-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I didnt say guys wore 6 or 7 jerseys a game and get a new set of 6 or 7 the next game. I said pitchers sometimes change jerseys every inning because they dont like to pitch in a sweaty heavy jersey. Guys usually only wear two home jerseys and two road jerseys a year. If you guys want ill find out how many jersey's the Yankees will go through this year. Im friends with the home and visiting clubhouse managers.

cjmedina1
05-28-2007, 09:50 PM
First of all I think ball players need to worry about playing the game and stop worrying about changing there jersey every inning or having other players used there bats so they can be sold as game used.Do you think Babe Ruth,Ty Cobb,Joe Jackson,Jackie Robinson was worried about how much there jersey's or bats will sell for after they retire from baseball?:confused:PLAY THE GAME!!!!

Carlie Medina III

carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

BarryMeisel
05-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi everybody,

Given a few comments in this thread, I thought I would provide all you with some insight as to what MeiGray does with its program teams in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I am writing this from Anaheim, where I just left the Senators' dressing room with the White Set 1 Finals jerseys the Ottawa Senators wore in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a 3-2 loss to the Anaheim Ducks.

Before the game, I recorded the Sens-MGG inventory numbers that are sewn into every game-worn jersey before they are worn. After the game, I followed the equipment manager into the laundry room and confirmed the numbers.

I will do the same throughout the series, both in Anaheim and Ottawa. These procedures are standard in the Stanley Cup Finals for all NHL-MGG program teams.

MGG program teams wear two sets of homes and two sets of road jerseys in the Stanley Cup Finals. Set 1 home and road are worn until one team reaches three victories. That set is marketed by MGG.

Once one team reaches a potential clinching situation, the program team switches to Finals Set 2, which the team retains (usually to award to the playoffs after the Finals end).

If anybody is interested in a game-worn Stanley Cup Finals Ottawa Senators jersey, feel free to check our website, or contact me. We have a few left that have not yet been pre-ordered.

Thanks,

Barry

metsbats
05-28-2007, 10:55 PM
What kind of tracking system does Steiner have. I'm not familiar with it. I assumed they just put their holograms on them. Do the holograms have numbers or codes on them that you can go to their website and get a little bit of info about the piece?

Steiner only started this year putting serial numbers on their holograms. The game used items I've purchased have the numbered hologram on the item and the matching numbered hologram on the LOA. Some of the items also come with a number MLB hologram too thru I have yet to successfully punch up a valid one on the MLB site.

If a player only wears 2 home and 2 road set jerseys like the old days how could a team and Steiner make money during the season. In addition to a player changing jerseys during innings it would be reasonable to assume that the team is instructing the clubhouse personnel to make sure players use as many jerseys so that they can sell more during the season.

David

reed1216
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM
hirammanWhat kind of tracking system does Steiner have. I'm not familiar with it. I assumed they just put their holograms on them. Do the holograms have numbers or codes on them that you can go to their website and get a little bit of info about the piece?

On some of the more recent purchases I have made directly from Steiner, there is a code on the upper hologram. The coded hologram is placed on top of the original hologram and has a number assigned to it. This "system" must be rather recent, as only the jerseys I have purchased from them this season have the numbered hologram, in addition to the original holo (1997 road Pettitte jersey, 2006 home Mussina pants and a 2003 road Clemens).

Unfortunately, my Clemens road gamer from 2003 (purchased from their spring auction of this year) has had the tag removed from it (collectors of Yankee gamers from Steiner are aware that Steiner traditionally places their holograms on the tag) and the holgrams were not staying on the jersey. As a result, I put the numbered hologram on the LOA (which already had a matching numbered holgram affixed to it) and placed the original hologram on the back number, where it won't fall off as easily.

Point being, there is a numbering system in place, but it remains to be seen if there is a population report of when these jerseys were worn and for how long. I haven't seen anything on their website that would indicate that such a system is in place.

MeiGray has such a system and it eliminates the guesswork. I have seen several shirts sold, where the interested parties had a statistical breakdown of how the player performed while wearing a specified jersey. I can't imagine it getting any better than that and I am surprised that more companies have not implemented a similar tracking system to what Barry described in his post.

TNTtoys
05-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Steiner pieces originally just had their logo hologram, however, they have changed their practice for the better. New items that come through their system have numbered holograms with the matching numbered hologram affixed to the LOA. Definitely a step in the right direction!