PDA

View Full Version : Piazza Jersey in Gutierrez Auction

cbb5
01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.mgauction.net/process.cfm?lID=1197

Any thoughts on this? I don't have a 98 black Mets alt. (by Russell), but do have a 99 away black alt. (by Russell). My 99 DOES NOT have year - set tagging beneath the jock tag. Does anyone have another 98 Mets Russell alt. jersey (white or black) that has year-set tagging? Was this even correct for this year for the Mets? I seem to think it was not, but I could be wrong. Thanks!
Chris

hblakewolf
01-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I have the exact same 1998 alternate home Piazza. I picked it up several years ago and it has a Grey Flannel letter with it (for what it's worth!). My tagging is void of the year and set as shown in the current auction jersey. I have seen another 1998 Piazza alternate and it too did not have this type of year and set. Regardless, the year and set tag you show in the photo is one strange looking tag.

I had a chance to meet Piazza 2 years ago, and he has to be one of the biggest clowns in regards to his interest in the game worn memorabilia hobby, and is a discrace to the human race. Not only would he not sign anything of mine (game used bat, jersey mentioned here) he refused to sign an autograph for a disabled child who was in a wheel chair on the field. He totally snubbed her and her family. As such, if anyone has any interest in my jersey, make me a reasonable offer and it is yours.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

finest_collectibles
01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Hello, Piazza wore ONLY size 50 jerseys, most of the time with custom alterations which were noted on the tagging. I have never seen that type of year tagging on a Piazza jersey. I own 6 of his jerseys including his World Series jersey. Sad to say, this current auction jersey has been authenticated.

Eric
01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Hello, Piazza wore ONLY size 50 jerseys, most of the time with custom alterations which were noted on the tagging. I have never seen that type of year tagging on a Piazza jersey. I own 6 of his jerseys including his World Series jersey. Sad to say, it has been authenticated.

Thanks for the info

Any chance you can post photos of the tagging on any of your jerseys?
Eric

RobSteinmetz
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Has anyone seen that type of year/set tagging on ANY Russell jerseys from ANY team in the Major Leagues? I'm not sure it's anything I've ever seen before.

hblakewolf
01-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Rob-
As noted in my previous post, it is odd. I too have never seen this tag on ANY jersey.

Any Mets collectors want to chime in? Someone must have a similar 1998 alternate in their collection.

On a side note, has any collector had any luck with obtaining autographs from Piazza on game used equipment? My experiences have all been bad, and considering I obtained over 30 auto. on equipment at Shea last year, It's hard to believe Piazza snubbed every fan and me EVERY time.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

cbb5
01-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I know Mike has certain alterations that are usually shown on his tags and that raised another flag for me on this jersey. I know he takes reduces his sleeve circumference, shortens sleeve length and adds body length. I have never dealth with him, but according to Howard he seems like a fool. It's a shame because I always thought he was a decent guy, judging by what I see in public and on tv. That's too bad.
Chris
PS-I'd also love to see those Piazza tags Finest Collectibles!

metsbats86
01-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Here are tags from several Piazza GU jerseys.

Left 2001 Home pinstripe, note the custom tailoring tag on the left. Plus 1 Inch body length, minus 1 inch sleeves length 6(?) inch wider sleeves. This photo is courtesy of finestcollectibles.

Right 2003 Road grey, once again custom tailoring tags. -1" slv
and +1 body.

Last 2004 Home white. An example of a jersey with no custom tailoring but never the less game used.

The 2003 and 2004 GU jerseys I obtained directly from Frank of finestcollectibles. The 2001 is in Frank's personal collection along with the others he mentioned.

I've never seen this type of large tagging on any Mets GU jersey ever. They mainly tagged jerseys with the traditional small set no. yr. and separate size tags. Exception would have been in the early ninties period they use larger cloth strips with years notations and the early eighties they used cloth strip tags in the collar with year, no, size, and set notations. Of course in 1986 their Goodmans had no tagging at all (except post season strip tags)

This type of tagging are more common on modern Braves, Red Sox,and Yankee jerseys.

Regards,
David Louie

metsbats
04-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Just an update on 2004 Piazza jersey tagging. This poster indicates that his 2004 game used Piazza jersey lacked the custom cuts typically seen on all Piazza gamers from other years.

This has been verified as I've had access to a large lot of real Piazza gamers from 2004 (including his 2004 ASG jersey which is currently in the Mets HOF Museum) and none of them have the custom tailoring.