PDA

View Full Version : MEARS Grading????

beantown
06-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I saw this auction on Ebay and the COA is from MEARS which states "authentic".....what does that mean??? I thought their scale for grading game used items was from A1-A10....am I missing something here???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200116314968&rd=1&rd=1

sportscentury
06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I think their 1-10 numerical grading is only for bats and jerseys. They don't receive enough submissions of cleats, fielding gloves, hats, etc., for them to devise respective 10-point grading scales. This is what Dave Bushing explained to me a couple of years ago. Hope this helps,

Reid

David
06-05-2007, 12:03 AM
That is correct. For game used caps, shoes and such they give only a grade of 'Authentic.'

beantown
06-05-2007, 07:26 AM
That is correct. For game used caps, shoes and such they give only a grade of 'Authentic.'

Personally, I feel that is a waste of several hundred dollars to have an item deemed "authentic".....I can do that myself....

David
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I agree with you in that the 1-10 system shows us that there are "different grades" of authentic, at least in the authenticators' minds. An 'authentic' only grade does make one wonder where along the proverbial 1-10 it lays.

Of course with an 'authentic' cap or shoes it would be nice to also have documented provenance. However, if you read the MEARS LOA it notes that the shoes have labels that appear on only on player-issued shoes, and there are pictures from the game.