PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever "receive an offer" from a player for their G/U equipment?

TNTtoys
06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I've been having an ongoing discussion with another forum member over email related to making deals with players for their game used jerseys, bats, etc.

Has anyone out there come across this situation --

You show a player his original bat, jersey, etc. (it could be for his signature, etc.) and that player realizes the significance of that particular item from his career and then offers you cash on the spot for your item? or a trade for a different game used item from his own personal collection?

If so, please post stories!!

06-06-2007, 02:43 AM
In the late 1980's, I took a game used rookie jersey of a baseball player to a card show to get the player to sign it. The player was surprised and delighted to see it, and signed it as requested. When he signed it, he was sitting next to the show promoter at the table. The show promoter contacted me later since he knew me through the hobby and said the player really wanted the shirt back, but was too shy to ask me, so the promoter offered to buy it and give it back to the player. I gladly accepted the offer, and sold the shirt to the promoter for my cost, $100. Many years later, I saw a photo of the player's personal TV or game room at home, and I could see the jersey displayed in the corner.

Tom Duino

island_style
06-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Nick, great post.

I've often wondered the same thing. I haven't had any offers from the players to get their equipment back, but they have always thanked me for showing me the items and graciously signed.

(This reminds me of Howard's classic, timeless story of his experience with Kirk Gibson at the ballpark and Gibson's game used helmet.)

How about his scenario: Has anyone ever had an auction on eBay that was pursued by a player or their agent?

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Yankwood
06-06-2007, 07:56 AM
In 1987, Willie Mays signed a game bat for me. As I was walking around the card show after, the man who was representing Mays told me "Mr. Mays would like to know if you would sell him the bat." I had just bought the bat a few weeks prior for $600.(inflation?) He said Willie told him he was prepared to pay $1000. Even though the $400 profit seemed like a lot back then, I respectfully declned. The autograph cost me $10 that day. How I yearn for the old days.

hblakewolf
06-06-2007, 08:48 AM
While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

rose14
06-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I will be missing Sportsfest in Chicago this weekend to attend the Cardinals-Angels series in St. Louis. I am taking my two Vladimir Guerrero minor league jerseys for him to sign. One jersey is already signed on the front but I want to get him to sign it on the back as well. I haven't really thought about what I would say if he were to ask to get them from me. I expect he would want them back as they were his first two jerseys he wore as a professional. I would ask for a trade but I don't know what would be fair since these are so rare and basicly one of a kind compared to one of his regular Angels jerseys. Here are the jerseys.

What would be a fair trade if he were to want them back?

Todd

33bird
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
1. I sent a mid -70's Twins jersey gamer of Harmon Killebrew to a show to have him sign it "game used". I got an email after the signing saying that Harmon didn't want to sign it because he wanted it back. The agent gave Harmon my number and sent my jersey back unsigned. He said Harmon would call me within the next 2 weeks and wanted to work out a deal. I waited and waited, but he never called. I didn't care if we worked out a deal or not, it would have been cool to talk to the Killer.
2. Chris Smith who has many of his game used items in the Reds Museum had Cesar Geronimo sign his game used 1976 Bicentennial bat at a show. Bat has real nice use and Cesar told him that he remembered that bat. When Chris asked him how? Cesar replied by the big Red bat rack steak that ran down the barrel of the bat. Chris didn't tell me if Cesar wanted the bat back, but I thought it was cool that he remembered the bat from 20-30 years ago. I have that bat now.
3. Pete Rose came to my dad's sports museum opening in Medford, Oregon in 1985. We hung out with him a lot. It was during my Junior year of high school basketball and we had a game that night. My dad was telling Pete how I was the best player in the state and Pete said I'll be there tonight to watch ya. He never showed. He said the next day that it would have caused too much of a ruckus if he showed up. Anyway, it would have been cool to tell people that Pete Rose came to see me play a game in high school.
Greg

soxbats
06-06-2007, 10:39 AM
One of my GU collection focuses is jerseys, sneakers and shorts from Temple University Basketball players either in college or the pros (I have about 30). I had a great Mark Macon GU Nuggets jersey that I got for around $100. He was hired as a Temple asst coach and I brought the jersey to a "chalk talk" for season ticket holders for him to sign.

I approached him afterward and he held up the jersey and said he had been looking for one for years, that he was collecting these and that the NBA would not (or could not) even give him a reproduction. He announced this in from of about 20 onlookers waiting to speak with him. I should have asked him for a trade, but instead I just gave it to him. I guess I just felt like it was his and if I was in his position I would hope someone would give it back.

Of course my motives were not entirely pure, I asked him to help me get access to Temple basketball jerseys. These do not come into the market and I have been trying for years to find a source.

Macon never returned my calls or letters and I never got anything in return for my good deed. Further, I have been unable to find any Macon jerseys on the market so it has become a gaping hole in my collection to boot. OUCH:(

TNTtoys
06-06-2007, 10:58 AM
This thought came to mind after 3 events --

1. an email conversation regarding possibilities of approaching ballplayers to make a trade.

2. recollection of the events around my buying a jersey last year. It was a 1982 baby blue Texas Rangers jersey issued to Ron Darling. Had Darling not been traded to the Mets prior to making his first start in the majors, this would have been his rookie jersey. Certainly an odd find, not a game used jersey, but nevertheless a rare collectible. Anyway, the guy who sold it to me told me that he brought it to Ron for a signature, and Ron told him that he would love to have the jersey. The guy politely declined, Ron signed the jersey, and some 15 years later it made its way into my collection.

3. tossing around a wacky scenario in my head. A few weeks ago, I met Bill Robinson at a signing. While he signed a ball for me, I struck up a conversation with him where I told him that I had in my collection his game worn alternate black Pirates jersey from their 1979 championship season. He seemed taken back by this but at the same time I could see that this made him hppy/proud -- as a collector, I could basically looked to add any player's item to my collection, but I chose his.
Now, reality turns to fantasy, and I could imagine the conversation taking a twist and Bill turning around to ask me if he could have the jersey -- and similar to Howard's story, I offer him a swap for one of his Mets jerseys from their championship season...which would mean far more to me... doesn't sound so far fetched the more I play it in my head, and the more I read here...

hblakewolf
06-06-2007, 11:00 AM
1. I sent a mid -70's Twins jersey gamer of Harmon Killebrew to a show to have him sign it "game used". I got an email after the signing saying that Harmon didn't want to sign it because he wanted it back. The agent gave Harmon my number and sent my jersey back unsigned. He said Harmon would call me within the next 2 weeks and wanted to work out a deal. I waited and waited, but he never called. I didn't care if we worked out a deal or not, it would have been cool to talk to the Killer.
2. Chris Smith who has many of his game used items in the Reds Museum had Cesar Geronimo sign his game used 1976 Bicentennial bat at a show. Bat has real nice use and Cesar told him that he remembered that bat. When Chris asked him how? Cesar replied by the big Red bat rack steak that ran down the barrel of the bat. Chris didn't tell me if Cesar wanted the bat back, but I thought it was cool that he remembered the bat from 20-30 years ago. I have that bat now.
3. Pete Rose came to my dad's sports museum opening in Medford, Oregon in 1985. We hung out with him a lot. It was during my Junior year of high school basketball and we had a game that night. My dad was telling Pete how I was the best player in the state and Pete said I'll be there tonight to watch ya. He never showed. He said the next day that it would have caused too much of a ruckus if he showed up. Anyway, it would have been cool to tell people that Pete Rose came to see me play a game in high school.
Greg

Greg-

I visited this museum back in 1987. It was a converted bank, correct? I also believe there is a very sad ending to this, correct?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

33bird
06-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Yea, that's the place Howard. That was my father's. He had about everything: Babe Ruth complete uniform, Players rings, team trophies, tons of gamers, 3 Honus Wagner T206 cards, etc. I think he charged a dollar a person to come view it all. It really was amazing. This was mid-80's before everyone starting going crazy collecting the stuff. He did a lot of business with Rose. He had Rose's Hickcock belt and many of his bats, rings, etc. In two of Rose's books-Hustle and the Rose/Giamatti book it talks of their business dealings for a couple of pages. It all ended ugly in 1987 when Dennis Walker was found dead in a Vegas hotel. Foul play was what the FBI determined. All his stuff disappeared. It's a long story. My father was doing some shady things with some shady people unfortunately. My mom and his 5 sons had to move to Nevada to live with my Mom's parents. He left us with nothing. For my graduation in 87 he had given me a Michael Jordan rookie home jersey. BUT, we had to sell it two years later to pay bills. Sold it for 2,000! If nothing else he left us with the sports collecting bug and all of his sons are doing really well: College professor, Lawyer, High School teacher and coach, and two big time insurance guys. That's the story in a nut shell.
Greg

dcrules01
06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Guys great stories I have none to add ecept when I went to get my Mitchell & Ness Dykstra signed a few weeks ago he complimented me on the jersey as in his words bitching .I told him how it was an honor to meet him because he was my favorite player growing up.We had about a 10 minute conversation.We shook and he gladly posed for a photo.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Mets%20Autographs/elsid001.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Mets%20Autographs/elsid005.jpg

GrndSlm
06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I once showed Tony Perez one of his Rookie H&B bats and he freaked out. He looked at it, swang it and signed it on the barrell. Then he looked at me and asked if he could buy it for his family. I automatically said yes and told him that I originally paid 750 for it and that I would let it go for the same price. Eventhough $ 750 is a good deal for a rookie 1965 H&B bat......He said no and left it alone. I guess only us collector buy items for there memories !!!!

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

beavisrules
06-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Last year, I got a message about one of the Notre Dame game worn jerseys I had listed on ebay. It was a former player, who asked how I got his jersey, and wanted to buy it back. I went to return the message only to discover another ebay ID had already bought the jersey for the buy-it-now. So now I am trying to figure out how to handle the situation, because I want to get the jersey back to the player, but now have another ebayer who has not only bought it, but also already paid via paypal. Fortunately, the ebay buyer turned out the be the player's dad who also saw the jersey and bought it for his son before anyone else could get it. So the jersey is back in his possession now. That's the only time I've had that happen, but pretty cool story with a happy ending.

indyred
06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I think some player's either have no clue or play dumb on game used stuff. With checks they are cashing, I'm always amazed when they try to get stuff for next to nothing.

rose14.....let us know how it goes with Vlad. It seems he knows the market on stuff. Seems he has friends or something that move stuff of his on ebay. IE his pink bat was already on the market from 2007. I'd want his game used jersey in return (really would ask for sweet new red alternate) and a nice used bat.

EricDavis44fan
06-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave

suave1477
06-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Ericdavisfan can you email me admin@gameuseddirect.com

06-07-2007, 03:32 AM
I thought of a couple other stories along the lines of a player wanting his own item.

About ten years ago, UCLA conducted a sale with game used equipment items in February before one of their home basketball games. The football season obviously ends in January latest for college teams. One of the better senior football players who had completed his eligibility was in the sales tent with his parents. I happened to see his jersey in one of the sales piles for $50.00, and picked it up along with several others I wanted to purchase. Within a few minutes, I heard him saying something about looking for and not being able to find his own jerseys as he was standing near me. Of course, I turned to him told him I had it in my stack of items selected for purchase, and he could have it if he wanted. He was very excited about this turn of events. He had graciously signed other items for me earlier in his UCLA career, and I knew the jersey meant something to him because he was there looking for it.

Twenty years ago, another UCLA senior football player who had finished his eligibility sold me his Rose Bowl and Pac 10 championship ring, along with a game used jersey since the school gave him four of his jerseys. Like many college kids, he needed the money at the time. About 15 years later, I heard through a mutual acquaintance that he had established himself in the business world and wanted the ring. I never pursued this any more since this ring is a great item that I want to keep, and still have the ring in my collection.

Tom Duino

Eric
06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I am a huge Eric Davis collector. During the past year I have been given the chance to meet him on several occassions. I have his Orioles batting helmet and had him sign it. When I handed it to him, he perked up and examined the helmet closely then asked where I got it. He told me it was the helmet he wore when he came back from cancer. He said he had actually tried to find it. He signed it then asked if I ever decided to sell to let him know. I don't know how he knew it was that very helmet, but he was very interested in it. He has signed my game worn jersey's and a game worn hat since then. He gave me tips on certain things to look for in determining if it was really his gear and spoke of the many fakes out there. The good news is, every piece I have showed him has passed his inspections! Interestingly enough, Eric himself is a collector of game worn NBA jersey's.

Dave

Good stuff. Next time you see him, tell him to come by the forum.
Eric

metsbats
06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Last year I traded Ed Hearn's wife the jersey that he wore on the field for the 86 Mets reunion ceremony which I had won in the MLB auction for the unworn jersey the Mets sent him home with.

A couple of years ago when I showed Gary Carter and his agent Mead Chasky a photo of the 4 milestone bats I own, Mead game me his card because he wanted to see if I'd like sell them back to him. I offered to trade a game used jersey for one of the bats but he declined.

David

Eric
06-09-2007, 11:02 PM
David-

I found an article about your collection including the 4 Carter bats you mentioned above. Good stuff!

http://www.psacard.com/smrweb/backissues/smr0504/collector.chtml

Eric

metsbats
06-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks Eric!

Glad you enjoyed the article.

-David

dcrules01
06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Awesome article....

B1SON
06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon :D my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.

sportscentury
06-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I used to be a HUGE Duke collector and one day on Ebay I found a Brian Davis (Laettner's best friend) game-used shoe from when he was with the T-Wolves. It was signed "Brian Davis T-Wolves". Laettner had gotten him a tryout a couple years after graduation. Anyway, in big bold letters on the heal of the shoe was written "HURLEY" which I thought long and hard about and did some research and figured out it was at the time he had had his accident and it was a tribute to him by Brian. Well for my honey moon :D my wife and I went to a celebrity basketball game at Duke and Brian played. People were having him autograph programs and such. When I handed himn the shoe, he was "shocked" to say the least and when I showed him the heal it "brought back memories" I could tell. He verified the story I had made up in my head about how "HURLEY" got on there and personalized it to me. I look back now and figure he probably would like to have had it, but he knew what it meant to me. Anyway, he never asked for it, but I know he appreciated seeing it again for sure.

B1SON,

That's a great story. If you wouldn't mind, please email me at rgf2@hotmail.com - I'd love to hear about your Duke Blue Devils collection!

Best,
Reid

Jags Fan Dan
06-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.

skipcareyisfat
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
I just saw in the news forum the article about Al Leiter wanting to buy the pitching rubber that the guy brought in to a card show for him to sign that has guys with no-hitters signatures on it. Very cool piece. The offer of $2,500 is a joke, in my opinion.

I bet it's the last time that collector brings his daughter to a show with him. ;)

TNTtoys
10-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Thought I'd bump this one since it has been years since it was last added to. Anyone have any good stories regarding players making an offer to buy back their old stuff from you, the collector?

sox83cubs84
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM
While living in Seattle in 1993, I went to the Mariners game when they were playing the Royals. At the time, I had quite a few game used Expos batting helmets, and had pitcher Chris Haney's rookie helmet. It was extremely nice, not only for the fact that it was a pitchers helmet, but it was also a rookie 1991 gamer with the Desert Storm sticker on back (the tough Canadian version as compared to the U.S. version).

I arrived during the Royals batting practice, and asked Haney to come over to the railing near home plate, in order to seek an autograph on the helmet. When I handed him the helmt and pen, he looked at me as though he had seen a ghost! Not only was he extremely surprised that I had it, he indicated it was indeed his from his rookie season! He then said, "I'd love to have this back". He indicated he collected some of his game used items, and would enjoy adding this to his collection. I informed him that I would trade him the helmet for an equal value game used item. He said he only had a backup Rawlings glove, and would trade me for the helmet. When I agreed, he went into the locker room, and came back with the glove. We made the trade, and I sold the glove the following day.

Another player who traded with me was pitcher Mike Jackson. When he came over from the Phillies to the M's, I went to the game with his rookie Phillies jersey in hand, in hopes of getting it autographed. When I approched him, it was a similar situation as Haney. In summary, Jackson said to come down near the dugout after the game, and he would work a trade. Sheepishly, I asked him for his game worn M's jersey. After the game, he handed me a brown bag, and asked if it was "O.K"????? Inside the bag was his current season's home jersey. At the time, M's jerseys were extremely scarce, thus, I made the trade.

The Kirk Gibson story? It will have to wait until another Forum reader makes a post seeking stories about players who desire to fight with fans.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Haney actually ended up dealing with me, as well. It was 1994 spring training, and my wife and I attended the Royals home opener (against UCF) in which Haney, coming off surgery, was to pitch the first two innings.

I had an Expos game jersey of his that I brought along. I showed it to him, and he definitely was interested. We worked out a trade, in which he would give me the jersey he was wearing (BP style with NOB) after he was done pitching. I agreed, gave him the Expos piece, and, sure enough, about the 5th inning, teammate Dave Henderson comes out and tosses me Haney's shirt from that day.

Dave Miedema

Christ0pher
10-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Great thread guys! I was wondering would you make a trade even if the piece you were getting in return was worth way less than what you were trading? Does getting the piece directly(sometimes right off their back) from the player make it way more valuable to you personally therefore it doesn't really matter?

Steelers25
10-14-2013, 08:30 AM
I came across a New York Giants jersey worn by my favorite player Ryan Clark while trying to find a jersey for my uncle. About 2-3 days later I stop at the post office on my way to work and pick up the jersey. Later on that day once I get home, I take out the jersey and take a few pics to send Ryan on twitter (just hoping he sees it), within minutes he messages me and asks for my number. We made a deal and on 11-4-12 after the steelers giants game, Ryan comes over to me in the stands, takes his jersey off and hands it to me. Great guy, even got a "thank you" from his wife.

toddhead
10-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I found a Pat Woodcock game used preseason Redskins jersey at a thrift shop and sent him a tweet about it. He was very excited to see it and I eventually sold it directly to him.

sox83cubs84
10-14-2013, 09:18 PM
In 1992 spring training, I brought a 1977 Cubs home game used jersey of Ray Burris to Port Charlotte, FL during Rangers spring training (Burris was assistant pitching coach). Burris saw it and lit up, saying that the Cubs were the only MLB team of the many he played with that never let him keep a jersey (pretty normal for when Yosh Kowano was equipment manager and the Wrigleys owned the team)

Unfortunately, he lowballed me with a trade offer of 2 signed Nolan Ryan baseballs. I politely declined, although I saw him a number of times in the 1990s and early 2000s at the Rick Wilkins Foundation Dinner.

Dave Miedema

Steelers25
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Mattapan03, no offense taken, it's all good man. With a few threads on the boards similar to this one, I've probably posted my story in all of them and can see how that can get annoying reading the same thing time and time again, and for that I do apologize.
Now if I can kinda get this thread back on track, Stapleton is interested in his Steelers rookie practice jersey that I have and told my uncle he would trade me for it, just haven't heard from him yet.

metsbats
02-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Here's a variation on this theme. During one of my conversations with former 2000 Met Bubba Trammell he reminisced about his first game as a Met after being traded from the Rays. In his first at bat as a Met he hit a home run. The Mets wore their black alternate home jerseys that day and he wished he was able to save that jersey. As fate would have it I was able to find what I think is the jersey and arranging for it to be sent to Bubba next week. He viewed some photos of the jersey and the tagging and verified from photos he had the jersey tagging matches the one he wore. He's very happy to get that jersey back!

gingi79
02-28-2015, 09:14 PM
I saw a post on a Facebook game used group asking second hand (on behalf of the player) about that players jersey for his dad and listing the auction where it was sold. Random dumb luck, I own it.

I contact the poster, we talk, I ask for less than I won it for, plus a photo of him holding it when he gets it so I know it is where I believe it belongs. The player is thrilled! Everything seems like it is flowing, I post the jersey is going back to it's wearer, tons of positive support from the collecting community and I'm just happy it's going to someone who, without a doubt, will treasure it the most.

But in the last 4 months, the player never contacted me. Oh well, it's still wrapped and ready to ship when he has the time. :D

SEAFAN76
03-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I have some story relating to this.

The Seattle Mariners had a tall pitcher names Ryan Anderson. They dubbed him the "Little Unit" as Randy Johnson came before him.
I had his game used Tacoma AAA jersey and was buying a few cards to display with it.
In that time, on eBay you could contact anyone.

I won a rare card of his. Before I even got it, Ryan's DAD contacted me and said he tried to bid on it but his computer was down..... blah blah blah, can he buy it from my for what I paid, cause it's his son. Uh, really?
I told him if he signed me a ball I'd TRADE him.

While talking with him I told him about the jersey and asked if he was interested. He tried to tell me Ryan already had EVERY jersey he ever wore.

No way. I got it directly from the Tacoma Rainiers and it was obviously his. It was even a giant size 56 or 58. He was 6'10"
He never bought it from me.

Though he did get me Ichiro's auto during spring training, because I'd sent him some incredible shot of Ichiro I'd taken in 2002.

Biggest draft bust in Mariners history. He's now a chef in AZ.

twarman17
03-03-2015, 10:36 AM
At cubs convention this year I showed Anthony Rizzo's dad (he was working at a charity booth all weekend auctioning game used items) some pictures of my 2008 Rizzo glove and he immediately recognized it as Rizzo's first professional glove he used all year in 2008 (before I said it was in fact a 2008 used glove). He said rizzo was not given a glove for his few games in 2007 and that glove was a big thing to rizzo as his first professional one. I offered to swap it for a cubs glove since it had sentimental value but rizzo's dad didn't take up the offer.

Phil316
04-29-2015, 01:48 PM
I had sold a game used jersey to a players wife via Etsy. She recieved it and was very excited. She said that so many players wives from MLB are looking for their husbands items to surprise them. She asked me if it was ok to pass out my email. This was a couple years ago now and to this day I still get a bunch of requests and have made some cool contacts.