PDA

View Full Version : NFL Practice Jerseys

B1SON
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Any info would be helpful on NFL practice jerseys. This is from 1997 when Denver won the Super Bowl. It says the tags have been removed because of alterations. I suppose so his stomach could breather. Anyway, any ideas how much they generally sell for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denver-Broncos-34-Tyrone-Braxton-Practice-Jersey-97-44_W0QQitemZ150130317604QQihZ005QQcategoryZ24955QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

G1X
06-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Joe,

There are several things to research when dealing with NFL practice jerseys.
1. Find out the color worn by the defense and the color worn by the offense. With Washington, for example, the defense has traditionally worn burgundy jerseys at practice and the offense has worn white jerseys.
2. Find out if the team played any scrimmages in the particular season and what color they wore in the scrimmage. Once again using the 'Skins as an example, they played a scrimmage a few years back against the Ravens at Fed Ex Field where the 'Skins wore white jerseys. Therefore, for that particular year, there is the possibility of both a burgundy and white practice jerseys being worn by any defensive player, but the offensive players only wore white. (Assuming that the 'Skins did not have any training camp scrimmages against another NFL team where the 'Skins wore burgundy).
3. Verify the practice number worn by the particular player. Players will almost always wear their game number at practice, but there are always exceptions such as Deion Sanders who wore #2 at practice during his season in Washington.

I have a blue Broncos practice jersey worn in 2001 that is a defensive back. In researching the issue, I verified that the Broncos defenders were wearing blue at practice during that season. I cannot vouch for 1997, but someone such as Patrick Scoggin could probably be of great assistance. Other than that, you can always try Getty Images, old Broncos yearbooks, or Denver newspapers from 1997 that possibly have photos of 1997 practices.

I noted where this particular seller has a white Romanowski from the same season as the Braxton. Unless the Broncos mixed colors at practice and/or played a scrimmage in their practice jerseys in 1997 as explained in #2 above, the question should arise as to which color the defense wore.

I am in no way questioning the legitimacy of either listing as both appear to be adequately described. If the Broncos are like the set of 'Skins practice jerseys that I once observed, there is the strong possibility that there will be both a blue and white jersey of the same number. If the Broncos defense always wore blue in 1997, for example, then it makes sense that the Romaowski is in "new" condition as described in the ebay listing.

Hope this is useful information.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

G1X
06-09-2007, 12:12 AM
I took a quick look at Getty's Images and found the following information:

1. In 1997, the Broncos defense wore white jerseys at practice while the offense wore blue jerseys. There are numerous photos from summer camp including one dated 7/18/97 where the player is identified as Braxton (image #1786357). There are later dated photos of Elway identified to be from 12/16 and 1/15 showing him wearing blue at practice (images #52025237 and 52025233).

2, In 1998, the Broncos reversed and had the offense wearing white and the defense wearing blue. There are numerous photos from a June mini-camp and summer camp, including a shot of Braxton in his blue #34 in image #377881 dated 6/3/98.

I have no idea how often the Broncos ordered new practice gear, but I would not be surprised if they "recycled" some of their 1997 practice jerseys for use in 1998, especially for a June mini-camp. After all, if teams recycle game jerseys, it would make sense that they would also recycle practice gear.

Hope this helps. Again, I recommend consulting with a Bronco expert such as Patrick Scoggin.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

B1SON
06-09-2007, 02:16 AM
You guys are awsome! Thanks for your help. What do these generally sell for???

Aloving77
06-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I am a collector of Titans game used items and I have several practice jerseys. I bought a Steve Mcnair Practice used jersey from their website for $50. I'm sure I could get more if I sold it on ebay. I also bought a practice jersey worn by Keith Bulluck for around $75 on ebay some time ago, and it had been autoraphed. That being said, I also have a practice jersey worn by Eddie George, and paid somewhere around $200 dollars. The same seller had other practice jerseys from different years worn by Eddie that also went for a couple hundred and upwards.