I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylehess10
    • Feb 2006

I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

After recieving the most current issue of "American Memorabilia Magazine", I would never buy from them, ever. They have models actually wearing these very old jerseys, all game worn, which are going to be in their Summer Auction. I hate seeing things like this since we all spends tons of money on this stuff and it was suppose to be last worn by the player themselves, not some model working for American Memorabilia.

Gaylord Perry game worn jersey:

Graig Nettles game worn 1971 jersey

Mickey Lolich game worn 1970 jersey

kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
    http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/
  • Canseco44
    • Dec 2006

Re: I will NEVER buy from American Memorabilia after seeing this...

I had the same disgust as you. I'm not sure what direction they are trying to go in with this company, but I'm not sure what some of the topics in the latest couple of issues have to do with the contents of the auction. I think they probably need to devote a different magazine to those issues and just keep the catalog to what it has been about. I'm glad you posted. I thought I was the only one reading this thing.

Todd
    Todd Ricks
    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• JasonM33
      • Oct 2006

Outrageous. I'm not well with that.

-Jason M

Comment

• gamehawk
        • Nov 2005

I could not agree more! I have noticed this with there past 2 auction magazines.......And while there at it, throw out that bum Lampson.

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

Oh my god when I saw this I was going to throw up, nuff said!!!

Comment

• sportscentury
            • Nov 2005

Absolutely tasteless... and just what I have come to expect from AMI.
            Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• MooseDog
              • Dec 2005

OK, I agree tasteless, but just to play devil's advocate - how would you feel if the babe was the one wearing the jersey?

Comment

• bat_master
                • Sep 2005

MooseDog,

Can you send me an email? I can be reached at either tim@hofbats.com or t_byington@yahoo.com.

Thanks
                sigpic
                Tim Byington
                Hall of Fame Bats
                tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• CollectGU
                  • Nov 2005

Why was it a male model wearing the stuff? Let the women models wear the stuff if you are going to do that...

Dave

Comment

• Eric
                    • Jan 1970

Originally posted by CollectGU
                    Why was it a male model wearing the stuff? Let the women models wear the stuff if you are going to do that...

Dave
                    No one should be wearing them... It compromises the pieces.
                    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• otismalibu
                      • Nov 2005

Shows nice runway use and exhibits a subtle hint of Calvin Klein's Obsession For Men.
                      Greg
                      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• jboosted92
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
                        Shows nice runway use and exhibits a subtle hint of Calvin Klein's Obsession For Men.

Thats not even the worst.... on the frontpage they have a frigin video of when the 2 owners were in teh music video business...its from like 1985...

talk about hangin on to something that left, when WHAM did...

Comment

• JasonM33
                          • Oct 2006

No one should be wearing them. Man, woman or child.

-Jason M

Comment

• CollectGU
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eric
                            No one should be wearing them... It compromises the pieces.
                            LOL. ..That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised...Did you ever try on a helmet or jersey in your collection? I know some hockey fans that wear their player game worn jerseys to games. Do you think that collector's have never slipped on the jersey of their favorite player after adding it to their collection, or tried on the game used baseball glove, or the batting helmet, or batting glove they just bought of their favorite player? I think what they did was silly, but it certainly doesn't make the item less authentic or add wear.....

Dave

Comment

• Eric
                              • Jan 1970

Originally posted by CollectGU
                              LOL. ..That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised...Did you ever try on a helmet or jersey in your collection? I know some hockey fans that wear their player game worn jerseys to games. Do you think that collector's have never slipped on the jersey of their favorite player after adding it to their collection, or tried on the game used baseball glove, or the batting helmet, or batting glove they just bought of their favorite player? I think what they did was silly, but it certainly doesn't make the item less authentic or add wear.....

Dave
                              You're talking about two different things. If you went into a store that had the workers wearing the game used items they were selling, you might not be very happy with it.

Putting this stuff on for a photo shoot is a bizarre business decision. What exactly is the upside here? Is the sports collectibles target audience (the cross section of people you would see at a memorabilia show) going to look at that model guy and say "He looks really good in that piece, maybe I should buy it"

Dave, if you choose to put your hand in a glove in your collection, that is one thing. AMI decided it would be a good marketing strategy to hire models to wear the items being auctioned. That wouldn't have been my decision, but hey, it's not my company to run.

And Dave, what exactly did you mean by "That's a just a tiny bit overboard, and I'm not surprised." I'd love to hear what your explanation is.
                              Eric
                              Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

Working...