PDA

View Full Version : Be careful: Bo Jackson bat on ebay

sylbry
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM
Here is a Bo bat being sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bo-Jackson-game-used-bat-Kansas-City-Royals-White-Sox_W0QQitemZ220120605548QQihZ012QQcategoryZ60596Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

Here is the Bo bat being purchase on ebay by the seller a couple weeks prior.
[URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300115594708 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220120604487&rd=1&rd=1)

The original listing makes no mention of the bat being game used other than some handwritten note on a typed LOA from a sports marketing company. Notice the seller makes no metion of this LOA is the current listing.

I emailed the seller asking how he knew it was game used. No response.

Remember, this is the exact model sold by Anaconda Kaye.

Bryan

sportscentury
06-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Hi, Bryan -

I think the seller is a GUF member, so perhaps he will respond to your post. Thanks for posting.

Reid

3arod13
06-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I can't stand people pulling this type crap. It's killing the hobby!

bat_master
06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
While I totally respect the opinions of the previous posting members, how do we really know that an injustice has even happened? It isn't like the physical characteristics of the bat have changed (that we know of).

So far, the only change is in the description. By looking at the previous auction it appears the bat already has pinetar on the handle. While this trait alone isn't indicitave of game use, there could very well be stitch or ball marks on the barrel that simply aren't visible in the auction photos.

Even if the bat does have ball or stitch marks and pinetar on the handle we still don't know for sure that the bat is or isn't an A-K bat or is a legit LS gamer as the listings make no mention of lengths or weights...and even then we might not know.

All I'm really saying is that unless it was an obvious case of "doctoring" or of some other reprehensible act I really don't see why this seller is being strung up to hang for something that people do a lot.

I think the original listing was simply made by someone that didn't have a lot of knowledge of bats. They listed it as an autographed bat, albeit one that appears to show game use, but made no mention of that. The purchaser (and current seller) simply evaluated the markings and any use characteristics present and is reselling it. If it does show legitimate game use then what are they doing wrong?

3arod13
06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
While I totally respect the opinions of the previous posting members, how do we really know that an injustice has even happened? It isn't like the physical characteristics of the bat have changed (that we know of).

So far, the only change is in the description. By looking at the previous auction it appears the bat already has pinetar on the handle. While this trait alone isn't indicitave of game use, there could very well be stitch or ball marks on the barrel that simply aren't visible in the auction photos.

Even if the bat does have ball or stitch marks and pinetar on the handle we still don't know for sure that the bat is or isn't an A-K bat or is a legit LS gamer as the listings make no mention of lengths or weights...and even then we might not know.

All I'm really saying is that unless it was an obvious case of "doctoring" or of some other reprehensible act I really don't see why this seller is being strung up to hang for something that people do a lot.

I think the original listing was simply made by someone that didn't have a lot of knowledge of bats. They listed it as an autographed bat, albeit one that appears to show game use, but made no mention of that. The purchaser (and current seller) simply evaluated the markings and any use characteristics present and is reselling it. If it does show legitimate game use then what are they doing wrong?

With all that said, bottom line for me is how can the seller state "Bo Jackson game used bat. Game used and autographed by the greatest athlete to walk the planet."

Be realistic. What proof does the seller have to state "game used by Bo Jackson?" None! Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

To me, that's the bottom line.

skipcareyisfat
06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
With all that said, bottom line for me is how can the seller state "Bo Jackson game used bat. Game used and autographed by the greatest athlete to walk the planet."

Be realistic. What proof does the seller have to state "game used by Bo Jackson?" None! Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

Tony, unless you have a dead-on photo match, what proof does anyone have that any of what they own was actually used by a specific player? No offense, but that's just sort of a ridiculous statement. I'm with Tim here that, on the surface, it doesn't appear as if the buyer/seller did anything wrong. eBay's full of bozos, some of whom knowingly sell fake crap, and others who have no idea what they have. I once bought something on eBay for $200. It was advertised as something that was used by one player. I later realized that it was used by someone else....and later sold the same item for over $4,000 through a major auction house. You may say apples to oranges here, but the point is, if you're a savvy and educated collector, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on things like poorly described auctions, etc. I don't know if the Jackson bat is an Anaconda Kaye. If it is, I guess this whole conversation changes.

bat_master
06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Because the bat show use...could have been played with or used by anyone after it was purchased...who know. He purchased the bat on ebay and has no evidence or personal knowledge that BO Jackson used this bat.

Tony,
Honestly you just described about 75% of the transactions on ebay. I'm talking about evaluating USE CHARACTERISTICS. Has either auction shown a picture of the knob? Maybe the buyer has seen the knob and has compared known Bo Jackson knob markings with this one.

It is absolutely ridiculous to call something bad without proof. It's about evaluating all available information and then making a decision.

Based on what you are saying each and every bat sold on ebay must be bad just because we didn't personally witness the use. Do you honestly believe this is true?

bat_master
06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
eBay's full of bozos, some of whom knowingly sell fake crap, and others who have no idea what they have...if you're a savvy and educated collector, there's nothing wrong with capitalizing on things like poorly described auctions, etc.

Exactly! Well said.

3arod13
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Tony,
Honestly you just described about 75% of the transactions on ebay. I'm talking about evaluating USE CHARACTERISTICS. Has either auction shown a picture of the knob? Maybe the buyer has seen the knob and has compared known Bo Jackson knob markings with this one.

It is absolutely ridiculous to call something bad without proof. It's about evaluating all available information and then making a decision.

Based on what you are saying each and every bat sold on ebay must be bad just because we didn't personally witness the use. Do you honestly believe this is true?

My only point is, to buy a bat the way he did, then turn around and state game used, is wrong. Yes, I realize this happens daily.

With that I said, I agree with what you're saying.

skipcareyisfat
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
My only point is, to buy a bat the way he did, then turn around and state game used, is wrong. Yes, I realize this happens daily.

With that I said, I agree with what you're saying.

Tony, you're implying that you know for sure that this bat was not used. How is that different from your argument against those who claim beyond doubt that something was used? What if the bat was used when he got it? We've all the seen the same pictures. Seems to me that, unless there's something about Anaconda bats that differ from the real ones, it would be better to look at more pics before rendering an opinion. Maybe a Jackson or bat expert could chime in here with some better info. People describe their ebay auctions poorly every single day. As a buyer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking advantage of this. There's plenty of bad stuff out there, but some of us appear too eager to damn the hobby and want to be the first to call something fake without taking the time to do a little research.

3arod13
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Tony, you're implying that you know for sure that this bat was not used. How is that different from your argument against those who claim beyond doubt that something was used? What if the bat was used when he got it? We've all the seen the same pictures. Seems to me that, unless there's something about Anaconda bats that differ from the real ones, it would be better to look at more pics before rendering an opinion. Maybe a Jackson or bat expert could chime in here with some better info. People describe their ebay auctions poorly every single day. As a buyer, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking advantage of this. There's plenty of bad stuff out there, but some of us appear too eager to damn the hobby and want to be the first to call something fake without taking the time to do a little research.

First, I didn't start this thread, so I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

This isn't a case of taking advantage of someone's lack of knowledge or error. There is NO WAY the current seller has any information and/or facts to state this bat is BO JACKSON GAME USED. This isn't difficult to understand. Just because the bat might look somewhat used, and the original seller didn't state anything about game used, doesn't give the new order of the bat the right to sell the bat as GAME USED. Is this really that difficult to understand??

I never implied that I know for sure that this bat was not used. NEVER SAID THAT. I simply stated the current seller DOESN'T KNOW THAT!

I'm not going to waste much more time on this.

3arod13
06-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Sorry, meant "doesn't give the new owner of the bat the right to sell the bat as GAME USED."

skipcareyisfat
06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm not going to waste much more time on this.

Ditto

bat_master
06-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Sorry, meant "doesn't give the new owner of the bat the right to sell the bat as GAME USED."

So that means that I can't purchase a bat, have it authenticated, and re-sell it as game used? What is it that is so wrong about them reselling it as game used if they correctly evaluated the use and/or any other characteristics present?

If the new seller has evaluated the use characteristics and dimensions of the bat and feels that it is game used why can't they re-sell it as such? He basically just self-authenticated the bat which is something we all do with each item we buy. Whether it is Kyle looking for a photo match, Howard Wolf checking photos of Phillies jerseys, or myself checking ordering records for players...we all self-authenticate to some degree. It is an absolutely normal process that we would all be foolish if we didn't do.

Don't we all preach "DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK" anyway? I believe the buyer (current seller) bought the bat, did their homework and is reselling it. No harm in that, case closed.

As was stated though, if the bat is an A-K model this is an entirely different thread.

And for the wasting time message that precedes mine...ditto.

3arod13
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I guess I can understand coming to the defense of a GUU member.

byergo
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not interested in entering a "hornets nest" thread on the game used forum, so this will be my only post regarding this issue. I've seen the direction these often take, and little positive often comes out of it.

First off I bought the bat, not the piece of paper that came with it (many LOA's aren't worth the paper they are printed on). Second, although the item was poorly listed last time around, the LOA DOES in fact make mention that it's a game used bat. Third, the bat is game used displaying Bo's use characteristics exactly as described in the listing. I haven't altered the bat in any manner, and never would do something unethical such as that. Also, I've handled many Bo game used items and I only buy stuff I believe in myself, and I do have experience. As with everything I sell, I stand behind the item 100% and offer an unconditional money back guarantee.

sylbry
06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Well this thread kind of turned a corner.

First off, my intention was never to badmouth a guy trying to flip an item on ebay.

Now back to this bat. This LOA DOES NOT mention the bat is a gamer. Handwriting on a typed LOA doesn't count. That is the equivalent of me writing "game used" on all my PSA LOA's. Here is a pic for all to make their own decisions.

Second, the bat is sketchy at best. I too have handled a fair number of Bo gamers. There appears to be way too much pine tar as compared to the amount of other use shown. That can be a sign of a doctored signed bat.

I would like to know what, if anything is written on the knob. But since the seller wouldn't respond to my inquiry I guess I won't know.

I know the bat was not doctored by current seller. What I am saying is given the LOA, the inconsistent use characteristics, and the fact that Anaconda Kaye sold that same model, I wouldn't touch it. In my OPINION it was doctored before the current seller bought it. And I think it is a stretch for the seller guarantee it as game used.

Bryan

89ASMVPBats
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Bryan,

Please let me know if you come across any Bo Jackson gamers that you're looking to sell.

Thanks,
Drew

eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

For what it's worth, I stay away from Bo's B310 models unless John Taube has signed off on it.

Vintagedeputy
06-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Well its definitely the same bat. You can tell by the dark line to the left of the S in Slugger.

B1SON
06-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Its a judgement call. I agree that it was not "poorly listed". the original seller was not selling it as gameused. So, if it is the position of the new owner that it is game used, maybe it should be represented as his opinion in the auction and not a fact.

cohibasmoker
06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Speaking of Bo Jackson, wasn't he one of the player's jerseys that Scoreboard sold in 1989? If so. would anyone have a copy of what an actual Scoreboard signed jersey looked like with tags?

Thanx