PDA

View Full Version : What is this shirt?

harpt
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
A guy I know bought this jersey at the national last year. The dealer who sold it to him was a guy named Stone from St. Louis. I do not know this dealer, and have no reason to think him not reputable.

Stone told my friend that this was a game used Don Money jersey from 1981. The jersey looks great as far as the material, the lettering and numbering, the size, etc. There are some major issues, however:

While the "Designed and Tailored Exclusively for the Milwaukee Brewers" tage IS present and in the right place, the "Medalist Sand-Knit" tag that usually sits beside it is placed in the collar instead. Also in the collar is a size tag which reads "47" (normally a retail jersey would be labeled S, M, L, or XL).

Another issue: There should be a strip tag that reads year, name, and size. This is not present, nor do I detect remnants of one that has subsequently been removed.

While the obvious signs seem to indicate that this is not a gamer, I am left with the question "what the heck is is then?" Did MEDALIST make some extremely high-end replicas in the 80's that they intended for the retail market. If so, why would they include the exclusivity tagging?

Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated as I am certainly stupmed.

Scott

Birdbats
06-11-2007, 09:22 AM
I can't speak to the jersey because I don't know anything about Brewers shirts. But, I can say that Bill Stone is one of the most honest good guys in the hobby. Don't know that Bill would consider himself an expert on jerseys, but his sources are good (often former MLB players). I can just about guarantee he didn't buy this shirt at a show or off eBay -- he almost surely received it from a player or MLB employee. Bill's been doing this for a long time and has the respect of collectors here in St. Louis.

harpt
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks Jeff. I am happy to hear that and it does not suprise me. In fact my friend who bought the shirt says that he has dealt with Stone before and considers him to be highly reputable. Your confirmation of that pleases me. It is not my intention to call anybody out, or point out a "bad sale." I am merely seeking info about the shirt.

Jeff, thank you for your comments. They are very helpful.

Scott

harpt
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Any other thoughts on this shirt guys?