PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Mets Team signed bat and my newest purchase's !

camarokids
06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
What's UP People?

Just received my newest purchase , a 1990 Team Signed New York Mets game bat .

Also included some pics of the bats I received from the Devil Rays....

camarokids
06-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Hey there ! what's up Mets collectors ! What do you think about the bat ? The quality of the sigs are very nice and complete signatures , not sloppy versions . Maybe signed for someone special ???? A game bat , but I don't see any ball marks . Opinions please ........

TNTtoys
06-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey there ! what's up Mets collectors ! What do you think about the bat ? The quality of the sigs are very nice and complete signatures , not sloppy versions . Maybe signed for someone special ???? A game bat , but I don't see any ball marks . Opinions please ........

Hello -- Is this the same bat that was in a Ball Park Heroes auction, possibly even on ebay? My guess is that it is a game issued bat to Miller from that era that was taken around to various sports card shows (or batting practice at the stadium, etc.) for the purpose of obtaining signatures. The past owner probably threw in the towel a bit early. On a good "team signed" bat, I would hope for about 30 signatures. This one looks like it has 20 at best. My thoughts are that if it was in fact the bat I am thinking of, you got a good deal. I would try to figure out who's missing, and see what the possibilities are for locating these guys to complete the bat (if not too expensive). A lot of former Mets are around doing signings in the tri-state area. Last year, MAB ran a show called "Mets Mania" where they got in about 50-60 past and present Mets... a lot of "common players" too. My other personal opinion on use vs. non-use -- if I had a "team signed" item, I would not want it to be game used. The signatures would not look crisp/clear on top of ball marks, etc.

camarokids
06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
I bought it off ebay from a guy named Keith (thekiid101). He said he got it from his father. Link below . I checked the Mets roster for 1990 and the bat belonged to Keith Miller #25 with the Mets 1987 thru 1991 .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140121754336&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 140121754336%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

TNTtoys
06-14-2007, 04:46 PM
I bought it off ebay from a guy named Keith (thekiid101). He said he got it from his father. Link below . I checked the Mets roster for 1990 and the bat belonged to Keith Miller #25 with the Mets 1987 thru 1991 .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140121754336&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fse arch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D 140121754336%2509%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Hi again.

I'll try to clarify my answer. I stated that the bat was issued to Miller, meaning it was Keith Miller's bat. By stating that it was "issued" to him, I was implying that it was likely an extra bat of his that did not see any game use, as there were no visible signs of use on the bat (ball marks, clete marks, seam marks, etc.).

I'll start by saying that I think that the ebay description is a bit far fetched. Factually, a very (and I mean very) similar bat was sold on ebay very recently. It was a Keith Miller game model bat autographed by approx. 15 Mets from the early 90s era. Now, putting two and two together, the likeliness of two of this same item existing, with the same condition and being available to the public at about the same exact time is just about 0. I remember the bat because I commonly search for game used bats of 1980s era Mets players.

The bat sold for under $100.00. My guess is that the high bidder bought it thinking it was a steal at this price, and then waited a good month until it was unsearchable on the ebay system, and then relisted it to double his money (or then some). That said, it is worth more than $100, so you certainly did not get taken for a ride at $200!!!

My problem is not the final price of the bat, but the story he concocted as to how he obtained the bat, when it clearly is not the case. Secondly, his statement that if you had the bat appraised, it would appraise for $800 or more. This too is nonsense.
I recently sold a bat containing 28 signatures of the 1986 Mets team. Believe me, that bat comes at a much higher premium than yours, and it is no way worth $800 itself despite containing double the autographs including HOF Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, etc.
Your seller also seems somewhat less than reliable, having only completed 6 positive transactions but managing to receive 2 neutrals along the way.

camarokids
06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi again.

I'll try to clarify my answer. I stated that the bat was issued to Miller, meaning it was Keith Miller's bat. By stating that it was "issued" to him, I was implying that it was likely an extra bat of his that did not see any game use, as there were no visible signs of use on the bat (ball marks, clete marks, seam marks, etc.).

I'll start by saying that I think that the ebay description is a bit far fetched. Factually, a very (and I mean very) similar bat was sold on ebay very recently. It was a Keith Miller game model bat autographed by approx. 15 Mets from the early 90s era. Now, putting two and two together, the likeliness of two of this same item existing, with the same condition and being available to the public at about the same exact time is just about 0. I remember the bat because I commonly search for game used bats of 1980s era Mets players.

The bat sold for under $100.00. My guess is that the high bidder bought it thinking it was a steal at this price, and then waited a good month until it was unsearchable on the ebay system, and then relisted it to double his money (or then some). That said, it is worth more than $100, so you certainly did not get taken for a ride at $200!!!

My problem is not the final price of the bat, but the story he concocted as to how he obtained the bat, when it clearly is not the case. Secondly, his statement that if you had the bat appraised, it would appraise for $800 or more. This too is nonsense.
I recently sold a bat containing 28 signatures of the 1986 Mets team. Believe me, that bat comes at a much higher premium than yours, and it is no way worth $800 itself despite containing double the autographs including HOF Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, etc.
Your seller also seems somewhat less than reliable, having only completed 6 positive transactions but managing to receive 2 neutrals along the way.

Hi there TNT,
He originally had it listed for $300 . I didn't buy the story either about the $800 value either . But the seller sent additional pic of the bat , so I took the chance and bought it . I know there is no use on the bat . I bought it cause it's a one year style 1990 and has nice sigs . Looks like an original #25 written on the knob and the sigs are nice ...

Plus my dad was friends with Chuck Hiller and he signed the bat as well .
You can not get Chuck's sig anymore cause he died about 2 years ago , so that was the clincher for taking a chance and buying it ...