PDA

View Full Version : Question For Stadium Artifact Experts

RobSteinmetz
01-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Looking for some guidance for a collector/expert in stadium artifacts. I recently acquired a section of wood bleachers from the recent Wrigley Field renovation project and was wondering if it is best to restore them (repaint, restencil, etc.) or leave them in "as found" condition? Any suggestions and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

vintagesportscollector
01-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Rob. I'm a collector and NOT a stadium artifact expert, but for me it would depend on how good the "as found" condition is. I would much prefer to keep items in their original state if their condition was reasonably good. Can you post some pics? Maybe then we can comment on if they look great as is or could use a little TLC.

Oh, and Wrigley Bleachers!! Awesome.

mjkm90
01-14-2006, 07:36 AM
My opinion is that game used and historical artifacts should remain as is. If you sand a piece of wood and repaint it, you remove the history and patina. Ask a furniture expert, and they will tell you years of grime, oil, and wear = $$$. If the piece is simply a nostalgic addition to one of our sports rooms rather than high dollar piece, make it look the way YOU like.

slidekellyslide
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm torn on the issue.....I guess it would depend on how damaged the item is before I would ever restore it. Some antiques are worth more restored (Cars, some furniture) and some are ruined value wise by restoration. I would have to see a picture of them before I made a judgement.