PDA

View Full Version : Question About Players Personal Game Used Stuff And Awards

suave1477
01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Dear members maybe someone can help with this. I have noticed more and more recently players have sold or are selling there one of a kind items such as there world series rings, jerseys, home run balls, worldseries awards. Someone had pointed out to check out Jose Cansecos website i took a look and saw he had a world series ring on there i saw on ebay an actual world series award from a yankee and once saw a silver slugger award of darryl strawberry. My question is this why would a player get rid of these types of items that are not replaceable or can be handed down to there families?

hblakewolf
01-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Quite often players do give their awards and rings to family members and friends.

I had an opportunity to purchase Steve Carlton's 1983 Phillies National League Championship ring about 10 years ago. When I was having a few of my Carlton game used items signed by him at a show, I asked him about this specific ring, and showed it to him. He looked as though he was going to punch me, and at the same time, his agent asked me to step to the side of the table and discuss this issue with him. His agent was quick to point out to me that Carlton gave the ring to his good friend in 1984, and could not believe I had it. I explained to his agent that the ring was purchased from a pawn shop. So much for Carlton's good friends! His agent asked if I would allow Carlton to take it back home to Colorado for a closer inspection, and he would send it back with his LOA. I passed on the offer.

I also have Tug McGraw's 1980 Phillies World Series ring. He lost it in a gambling bet in 1981. What's interesting with this ring is the fact the McGraw ordered a replacement many years later, and when questioned about this, denied he ever lost possession of the original ring!

My point is simple. Rings, awards, special jerseys, etc. are often given to the players' friends and family. These items end up in the hobby after these folks loose interest, never had any interest or need cash.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

both-teams-played-hard
01-14-2006, 12:51 PM
...why would a player get rid of these types of items that are not replaceable or can be handed down to there families?

Most often, its drugs. It could be child support or alimony. Many of the times, its hookers. However, I'll say drugs.