PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Bat

BlaineMcDonald
06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Is the Ruth bat, linked below, a team index bat or a 1960's reporoduction? And is it worth the selling price? Thanks in advance for any replies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290128416598

b.heagy
06-20-2007, 06:36 AM
Replica bat. I see them sell for up to $200 at times. Sometimes a little more sometimes less. Helps that the seller has the original box.

BlaineMcDonald
06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
If the bat is a replica bat, did the seller properly identify the bat as an R43? I assumed R43 were professional models and not replicas.

MSpecht
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Over the years, H & B produced a variety of replica bats with labling and pro model numbers, replicating the look of an H & B pro model player bat of an era for a particular player. They are obviously new bats made of new wood -- sometimes stamped with an "S" for souvenir or and underlined 125 in the center brand, but sometimes not. Unfortunately some of these bats surface into the hobby as game used pro model bats. Most of the time, however, the branding will be a little off as they try to replicate the proper era. And, of course, bats from players prior to the early 1940's would not have any model number on the bat, as the Ruth bat you reference apparently does.

I recall receiving a number of these bats from Padres' Vice President Bob Fontaine in the mid-1970's after he had ordered them directly from H & B --- players like Ruth, Wagner, Campanella, and J. Robinson -- so production of these replicas is not new.

My best advice is to continue to utilize this forum when you have a question abouit a particular bat, and to also purchase a copy of Vince Malta's new book, available exclusively online through Game Used Universe, to have the most thorough reference of H & B branding available.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com