PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt on Ebay: Is it real or am I stupid?

both-teams-played-hard
06-23-2007, 06:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wilson-Mike-Schmidt-Phillies-Jersey_W0QQitemZ330137997734QQihZ014QQcategoryZ249 06QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I've studied the writings of H. Wolfe. I've seen photos. I used to think I knew something about jerseys.
1) is the seller "playing naive"?
2) why isn't this the real deal?
3) if real (or impossible to be proven un-real) when will it be at major auction?
4) I apologize for blowing the cover of any eBay "watchers".
5) Hurry. Less than 2 days left.

zonker
06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
according to the primer posted by kingjimmy the wilson tagging is for the 78-85 period and not 1977 . the 1 ami sold was a 77 home with the correct wilson tagging and size 42 besides that you got me?

hblakewolf
06-23-2007, 10:29 PM
2 major problems-
1. Wrong type of lining in the collar-it should be blue satin, not blue knit.
2. Wrong zipper-they did not use white zippers in 1977.

Not a chance this was worn in 1977 by Schmidt-none.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

TNTtoys
06-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I noticed the lack of satin behind the collar as well and steered clear of this one. The zipper and tagging certainly backs up my original opinion.

I have to agree that the seller is 'playing naive' -- he even attempted to hide it away in a fan shop category so that the game used community might not pick up on it.

I personally don't like how he states "I'm not making any claims that it's game worn"... leaving it up to the imagination of unsuspecting buyers who think they might be "finding treasure at a garage sale" is just irresponsible.