PDA

View Full Version : The Glory Days : New York Baseball 1947-1957 Exhibit at the Museum of the City Of New York

metsbats
06-26-2007, 10:37 PM
This evening I had the priviledge of attending the opening night ceremony at the Museum of the City of New York of their new exhibit The Glory Days: New York Baseball 1947-1957 as a guest of my friend and fellow Met collector Andy Fogel. Many dignitaries of New York Baseball were in attendance including Mrs Gil Hodges, Gil Hodges Jr and Ed Charles 69 New York Met. The exhibit features historical artifacts from as you can guess New York Baseball teams between 1947-1957. Almost all of the items on display are on loan from collectors, some of the biggest collectors that were featured in Stephen Wong's book Smithsonian Baseball including Mr. Wong himself whom I was able to meet speak with briefly tonight. Andy Fogel has items on loan among them Willie May's GU Mets jersey, 69 & 86 Met World Series rings, and Gil Hodges locker name plate.

One interesting items was Johnny Podres GU WS uniform from 1955 which has the bottom ripped from it by fans during the celebration on the field.

If you ever wanted to see some of the really historical items from New York Baseball history or some of the artifacts from Smithsonian Baseball in real life, I recommend the trip up to the Museum located at 103rd Street and Central Park W.

The exhibit is temporary and will be there only for a couple of months.

David