X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • big1Z
    Banned
    • Jun 2007

Vintage Joe Montana Game Used S.f. 49ers Home Jersey

I've looked at A LOT of Montana game photos. Including Getty Images and Wire Images. I cannot find a photo to verify the style and font used on this jersey.

I would appreciate input.

Thank you
  • XPFO
    Banned
    • May 2007

Re: Vintage Joe Montana Game Used S.f. 49ers Home Jersey

Same guy that is selling the Bruce Smith jersey that was rejected by Mears in the below thread and doesn't care.

Comment

• RKGIBSON
      • Mar 2006

Here is my Montana with a team letter, and photo match, that was that was used vs the Chargers.

Roger
      Attached Files

Comment

• big1Z
        Banned
        • Jun 2007

Your Montana jersey is a PERFECT match. Thanks for your help!!!

Comment

• mvandor
          Banned
          • Apr 2007

I encourage you to look at a font comparison on the NOB before you get too ecstatic. It does not look to me like a match with photos I've seen.

Comment

• Eric
            • Jan 1970

Originally posted by big1Z
            Your Montana jersey is a PERFECT match. Thanks for your help!!!
            The curve on the 6 is completely different
            Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Comment

• big1Z
              Banned
              • Jun 2007

I was refering to the photo posted by RKGIBSON. If you are referring to the Montana on Ebay I agree 100%.

Comment

• Eric
                • Jan 1970

Originally posted by RKGIBSON
                Here is my Montana with a team letter, and photo match, that was that was used vs the Chargers.

Roger
                Roger-
                That is a beautiful piece. When can we see the entire Roger Gibson collection? You have some amazing pieces. I keep buying things I thinkwere in your collection. Was the mastro James Brooks yours?

Eric

Comment

• lund6771
                  • Dec 2006

Hi Roger...

please e-mail me at

petepeschel@qwest.net

Thanks

Comment

• G1X
                    • Nov 2005

Roger,

Does your Montana jersey have one layer of mesh material on the shoulder area or the usual two layers? I can't tell for certain from your photo.

Thanks!

Mark Hayne
                    Gridiron Exchange

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                      • Mar 2006

Mark,
                      It does have two layers in the shoulders. I do not have any photos that would show that right now but could shoot you what ever you need later.

Here is Montana in this jersey.

Roger
                      Attached Files

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                        • Mar 2006

Eric,

I still have my James Brooks. It is one of my favorite jerseys, I'm a Auburn fan. I believe it was used vs the Steelers 9/18/88. I finally found a picture and am awaiting it to arrive to be sure. It took me a year to finally find it.

I have never done business with Mastro. I usually sell through AMI or Grey Flannel.

Thanks,
                        Roger
                        Attached Files

Comment

• G1X
                          • Nov 2005

Roger,

Thanks for the information on the Montana jersey. No need for a photo.

The Brooks jersey was manufactured no later than 1983 as that was the "transition" year when Russell went to the red, white & blue eagle-head R tail tag/size tag as seen on your Montana jersey. Some 1983 jerseys will sport this newer logo, some will have the older logo such as the one seen on the Brooks jersey.

The Bengals appeared to be mighty frugal during that era judging from Bengals jerseys picked up in a bulk buy made by Bob at Football Heaven back in the early 1990s. They were so frugal that they would occasionally screen a player's name directly to the back of the jersey.

In 1988, they would "mix-and-match" Russell and Champion jerseys. For example, Boomer Esiason can be seen in photos (such as Getty Images)wearing a black Russell early in the year and a black Champion later on. In the Washington game, Boomer is seen wearing a black Champion while Brooks is in a black Russell. And in the biggest game of the year - Super Bowl XXIII - most of the Bengals such as Brooks are wearing Russell, but some players such as Boomer are wearing Champion.

It's no surprise they put Brooks in a "recycled" jersey (Brooks was a Charger from 1981-1983 before coming to Cincinnati). I wouldn't know if he would still be wearing a circa 1981-1983 jersey as late as 1988 as that would be a bit unusual, but you never know with the Bengals! If you feel that the Steelers game from 1988 is a match, you might want to take a look at the Super Bowl video/photos if you haven't already done so.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
                          Gridiron Exchange

Comment

• Eric
                            • Jan 1970

Originally posted by G1X
                            Roger,

Thanks for the information on the Montana jersey. No need for a photo.

The Brooks jersey was manufactured no later than 1983 as that was the "transition" year when Russell went to the red, white & blue eagle-head R tail tag/size tag as seen on your Montana jersey. Some 1983 jerseys will sport this newer logo, some will have the older logo such as the one seen on the Brooks jersey.

The Bengals appeared to be mighty frugal during that era judging from Bengals jerseys picked up in a bulk buy made by Bob at Football Heaven back in the early 1990s. They were so frugal that they would occasionally screen a player's name directly to the back of the jersey.

In 1988, they would "mix-and-match" Russell and Champion jerseys. For example, Boomer Esiason can be seen in photos (such as Getty Images)wearing a black Russell early in the year and a black Champion later on. In the Washington game, Boomer is seen wearing a black Champion while Brooks is in a black Russell. And in the biggest game of the year - Super Bowl XXIII - most of the Bengals such as Brooks are wearing Russell, but some players such as Boomer are wearing Champion.

It's no surprise they put Brooks in a "recycled" jersey (Brooks was a Charger from 1981-1983 before coming to Cincinnati). I wouldn't know if he would still be wearing a circa 1981-1983 jersey as late as 1988 as that would be a bit unusual, but you never know with the Bengals! If you feel that the Steelers game from 1988 is a match, you might want to take a look at the Super Bowl video/photos if you haven't already done so.

Hope this information is helpful.

Mark Hayne
                            Gridiron Exchange
                            Mark
                            The one from Mastro has a Koch Sports label

Any idea what year that would be?
                            Thanks
                            eric

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                              • Mar 2006

Mark & Eric,

I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a Bengal jersey discussion but, I bought 23, 22 Bengal and 1 LA Ram, jerseys from Bengals linebacker coach, Dick Selcer's son. Dick coached the Bengals from 84 to 92 then went to the Rams till 95. Many of these jerseys have the Koch tag and the same amount do not. Some of the Koch tags are black and some are red. I think generally speaking Mark is correct, the the Russell jerseys with this tag were earlier than 88. I do not know when the tag changed. There were quite a few 80's Bengal pictures that showed up on Getty recently. The Brooks picture seems to match the full block font style, sleeve cut and the tiger striping looks like it may be the same, but its hard to tell. When I get the real photo I will know for sure.

Attached are the Kock tag from my Munoz and the Russell tag from my Turk Schonert that I have photo matched to '88, but it is a odd jersey modified with a hand warmer.

Mark, thanks for the imput I do respect your knowledge.

Roger
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...