PDA

View Full Version : Lou Gehrig Card

ghostkid
07-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I know this forum is for game used items, but I thought I would see if anyone recognizes this Lou Gehrig card that I recently picked up. Its 3-3/4 inches wide and 5-1/8 inches long. The thickness of the paper is thicker than your typical paper stock, but much thinner than typical card stock. The image was created with a dot structure, but the square text box just to the left of Lou's image was created entirely with solid lines (not dots). I've searched, but I cannot find any similar cards from around 1938. Any help in identifying this item would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Kevin

Vintagedeputy
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I've racked my brain and checked my catalog and I cant find it. Its definitely an exhibit card and reminds me of the old batters up cards. I'm going to venture a guess that its a recent product. The 1937 batting average doesnt add up with the amount of consecutive games played. Something's not right. I'm thinking its a fairly recent collectors thing.

staindsox
07-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Is there a back to the card? It is almost certainly an exhibit card. There are countless postcards that are not in the SCD book. They aren't big dollar items and there are so many to be cataloged, SCD doesn't take the effort to add them...especially now that Bob Lemke is gone. That catalog is dead. Get the new one this fall...I'm guessing it's the last real one they will ever put out. Try the Network54 site. They'll tell you what it is within an hour or two.

Chris

ghostkid
07-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Guys, thanks for your help. The card is blank-backed and I agree that it could be an exhibit card. Can I post a photo from my hard drive onto the Network54 site?

Kevin