PDA

View Full Version : Grove's Forbes Field Club

acowan19
01-17-2006, 10:28 AM
I bought a really old baseball a few days ago at a card show. It reads: "Grove's Forbes Field Club" and has multicolor stitching (red and green). Above the title panel is a symbol that looks like the old Reach (circular with the brand name in the middle) symbol but says Goldsmith. In the circle around the Goldsmith logo is says: "The Sporting Good with a Guarantee." Underneath the title panel it says its made of horsehide. There are a couple more things on there on the ball but its hard to read. I just picked it up for $40 cause I thought it looked cool and would fit into my collection of baseballs.

I put the whole title "Grove's Forbes Field Club" in google but didn't find anything. I even googled Forbes Field Club and just found stuff on the old Pirates' stadium. Just let me know if anyone on here knows what this might be.

Aaron Cowan

vintagesportscollector
01-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Aaron- Sounds like a nice pickup and a good price. Can you post a picture? Sounds like from the 1920's. Goldsmith was the official league ball for many minor professional leagues so maybe there is a tie to one of those.

slidekellyslide
01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Would love to see a picture of this ball....It's a mystery to me as no Grove is ever associated with playing for Pittsburgh. I wonder if there was a minor league team out there that also had a Forbes Field. It was not unheard of for some minor league parks to carry the same name as a major league park (ie Wrigley Field in LA)

mjkm90
01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
If the condition is nice, you stole that ball. Early goldsmith balls are veeery desireable. I would LOVE to see a pic of it.

acowan19
01-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your replies to my email. Sorry I haven't gotten a picture up yet for everyone else to see but I will try and do that this weekend.

AC