PDA

View Full Version : Two auctions, no comments?

kingjammy24
07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
both the current Vintage Authentics and AMI auctions have been live for awhile now. it's the first time in recent memory that noone here has brought up a single auction item for discussion.

are there no odd items in either auction? if so, that's a remarkable precedent.

are people concerned that, if they question an item, they'll be banned like chris, rob, and eric?

or is everyone just distracted by kyle hess' upcoming nuptials?

rudy.

beavisrules
07-12-2007, 07:02 PM
definitely Hess's love life - better than Days of our Lives

worldchamps
07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I was going to comment on the Tim Duncan Game 1 NBA Finals jersey, that has a completely different arch of the word Spurs than the one that is in every picture I have ever seen, as well as the DVD of the game I can watch.

I guess on 4 years the arch on the jersey bends

Also if it is from game 1, and you know that, why did it grade just an 8.

Any jersey I can narrow down to the exact game, and a Finals game would seem to grade a 10.

Does anyone on here bid on any of their stuff???

hiramman
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Not me. It's gotten to the point that their pretty little colorful magazine goes straight into the old garbage can.

kylehess10
07-12-2007, 11:43 PM
definitely Hess's love life - better than Days of our Lives

Awesome :D

kingjammy24
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I was going to comment on the Tim Duncan Game 1 NBA Finals jersey, that has a completely different arch of the word Spurs than the one that is in every picture I have ever seen, as well as the DVD of the game I can watch.
I guess on 4 years the arch on the jersey bends
Also if it is from game 1, and you know that, why did it grade just an 8.
Any jersey I can narrow down to the exact game, and a Finals game would seem to grade a 10.
Does anyone on here bid on any of their stuff???
http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=84431758&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=84778468

excellent! a man not afraid to speak his mind.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5862/spurslb7.jpg

all pics are from game 1 of the 2003 finals. it's not even close. even the actual spur is different. lou couldn't be bothered to look at a single pic, but he's more than happy to take your buyers fee.

rudy.

kingjammy24
07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
incidentally, the duncan jersey already has 10 bids. david, are those the sort of wealthy collectors who don't want to bother with ebay that you were referring to?

too wealthy to bother doing any research. they certainly wouldn't be any worse off on ebay.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
07-13-2007, 04:17 PM
incidentally, the duncan jersey already has 10 bids. david, are those the sort of wealthy collectors who don't want to bother with ebay that you were referring to?

too wealthy to bother doing any research. they certainly wouldn't be any worse off on ebay.

EXACTLY! Some folks are mesmerized by a high-gloss catalog and a psuedo-expert's opinion. I don't know squat about current gamers from any sport, but vintage gamers run rampant on eBay. Many, not advertised as game-used and not in the "game used" category. Some in the "vintage clothing" category. Most, sold by sellers who don't know what they have. Many, bought by the eBay seller at thrift stores or antique shops. I'm very glad these "wealthy" collectors have given up on eBay. However, there are many "wise" collectors who spend hours searching eBay and find these gems. I know, they often outbid me.
There is a reason the auction houses don't sell as many questionable items as in the past: THIS FORUM. They read posts from "healthy" collectors and realize someone is watching their ass. Congrats to this forum's members and to the auction houses for being forced to do the right thing.

JimCaravello
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Here's another item to ponder in the current Vintage Authentics auction - see the link below:

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=84430959&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=84777669

This Reggie Jackson jersey is the same jersey offered in Lot #357 in the December 2006 Grey Flannel Auction. In the Grey Flannel auction, the description clearly reads - " The collar has either been reinforced or opened"........Collector's of Yankees jerseys from this era know that this is a big red flag. I don't remember how much Lot #357 sold for in December, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't that much for Reggie pants and this jersey. I believe the language included by Grey Flannel kep a lot of high end bidders away.

The Vintage Authentics description makes no mention of this at all - Lampson's COA does not mention this either.

The Grey Flannel auction description makes no mention of the fact that the Wilson tag was partially disengaged and restictched.

So - as a collector - what do you do here? To be quite honest, if I just saw the Lampson description and COA and saw the pics without having the ability to see the jersey live - I may consider bidding on it. I could live with a resewn Wilson tag.

What I can't live with is a resewn tail tag and the potential that the collar was opened............

Any thoughts here?

Thanks, Jim

kingjammy24
07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
the reggie jackson (with opened collar) closed at $10,164.93 (incl BP) and the tim duncan closed at $2,955.62 (incl BP).

rudy.

worldchamps
07-20-2007, 10:02 PM
$3,000 for a Finals worn jersey has to be below the market, so I would have to think most people interested in a Finals jersey were not interested in this one.

FYI i am pretty sure this was on ebay not that long ago, I know a David Robinson one was too, same problem. Wrong arch. And not the super long thread that was hanging over the number, drove me crazy watching it all game.

I would imagine whoever bought this jersey will eventually try to photomatch it, or frame with a photo...probably will take his wife or 5 yr old to notice the difference though.

I will inform everyone when it pops up in the next auction house.....you know it eventually will.

worldchamps
07-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Here is a pic of the Robinson...see how frayed it is....the one on ebay did not have these threadshttp://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/2117017.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=DA17F42CE67FF285E7655347029D746B