PDA

View Full Version : En Fuego

island_style
07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
With the recent mention of a Yankee player setting fire to his equipment, it reminded me of a similar situation the Dodgers did several seasons ago. (DConLA and dodgersfan might remember this) The team was in a terrible slump, and it prompted some (or all, I can't remember) players to put their equipment in a pile in the Dodgers bullpen and set in on fire. I was sitting in the stands before the gates opened waiting to go to work and saw the fire really start to build up. Luckily, the fire was put out before any structural damage could be done. My goodness, all those great items that could have landed in someone's collection. On a different note, a friend of mine was in the clubhouse and saw a Chan Ho Park jersey in the trash can that was headed for the landfills. He plucked it out and held onto it.

Does anyone else have any stories of teams disposing their equipment? Were there any happy endings of these items being rescued?

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

dodgersfan
05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Ron,What's up man?
How is Hawaii treating my boy?
Next time Iam out there I will hit you up.

Rudy

rose14
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm sure Brian (BMH) could probably tell a good story about items being burned. I have always heard that somone in the Hillerich family had a bunch of bats that they had gathered over the years and decided one day many years ago to have a big bonfire. I'm not sure if this is true or not but I am sure Brian could say if it's true or not.

orioles03
05-14-2008, 04:12 PM
when i was working with the o's we would throw away all the broken bats
also i remember my first year as bat boy jeff connine struck out he went up where he kept his bat and started smashing bats i think i picked up close to 19 barrels i could not tell you how many helmets were thrown away jeff conine and david segui went trough at least 20 helmets a piece one season it got to the point where segui was buying helmets i also remember jason grimsley ripping his throwback jersey in half you should have seen the face of the mlb guy who was supose to get the jersey signed

island_style
05-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Here is a picture of a baseball bat bon fire pit at Dodgertown. It was lit during the traditional Western/BBQ Night at a pre spring training camp earlier this year. I didn't see any star player's bats. The bats were mostly pro stock-style. Now, if only there was a way to add Andruw Jones' Dodger bats to the pit...

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com