PDA

View Full Version : Help With Jose Canseco

Ozric
07-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys! Just need some help from the Canseco experts on the forum. I've been meaning to pick up a nice Canseco gamer and there are 4 now listed up for auction on Ebay. Any thoughts on which one is the more desirable of the bunch and how much should I expect to shell ouy for a gamer of his. Thanks,

sandmanclan@sbcglobal.net

Ozric
07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry, here are the links...

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSE-CANSECO-GAME-USED-BAT-DEVIL-RAYS-OAKLAND-UNCRACKED_W0QQitemZ320137338429QQihZ011QQcategoryZ 60596QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOSE-CANSECO-GAME-USED-SIGNED-BAT-GUARANTEED-AUTHENTIC_W0QQitemZ110149388183QQihZ001QQcategoryZ 60596QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Mizuno-Game-Used-Jose-Canseco-OAKLAND-As-33-1-1_W0QQitemZ320137820288QQihZ011QQcategoryZ636QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jose-Canseco-Rawlings-bat-403-homer-Game-Used-As-Rays_W0QQitemZ320136235946QQihZ011QQcategoryZ636QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JasonM33
07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
I think the homerun #403 bat is the most desirable. That's just my opinion. It's a gorgeous bat and it has a rare notation being that it's a HR bat. I like the 1992 Mizuno too but the handle crack takes away from it a little.

-Jason M

Ozric
07-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Jason. It is much appreciated. I have my eye on that one as well. I am also partial to Sam bats and there is a super nice looking one in the other link. Anybody have an idea of what the value is on the HR bat is? It's unusual, but I think he might have signed a number of his HR bats and offered them for sale.

mailman93
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with Jason, the HR bat is the best one. 2 of the bats have cracks, so I would stay away from them. I only prefer bats that are uncracked. its a high starting bid, but HR bats don't come along everyday. thanks Dan

Ozric
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Dan, many thanks for your reply... Do you think that the Canseco HR bat is a fair price if I can get it at the $400.00 or do you think that it is a bit high??? I really have no idea how much his gamers sell for let alone a HR gamer.

Thanks,

Tim

JasonM33
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, it depends. In my opinion the Canseco market is quite volatile. It's subject to shift at a moments notice mainly because of all the steroid stuff. His stuff seems to have expeirienced a little resurgence in the last few years because he was in the news with his book. Canseco has a handfull of hardcore fans that are always buying his stuff no matter what. But the rest of the collecting world might turn sour on him for good after the steroid stuff dies down. You never know how things might play out once the dust has cleared. So I say if you just want the bat for yourself to keep then I think $400 is a fair price for an uncracked HR bat. But, if you are looking to enjoy it for a while and then re-sell it, you may find yourself not being able to even get your money back for it. That's the way I see it anyway.

-Jason M

Ozric
07-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Tim

mailman93
07-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey Tim, Jason is right on again. if you want it, because your a fan of Jose then $400 is a good price. theres not many HR bats around. the guy selling it is a good guy, talk to him maybe he can give you a better price. if theres no bids, sometimes the seller will give you a deal. thanks Dan

JasonM33
07-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Cheers gentlemen

-Jason M

camarokids
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Hey Tim, Jason is right on again. if you want it, because your a fan of Jose then $400 is a good price. theres not many HR bats around. the guy selling it is a good guy, talk to him maybe he can give you a better price. if theres no bids, sometimes the seller will give you a deal. thanks Dan

the auction for the HR bat was at $300 and raised to $400 a day or two ago.....

Ozric
07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow, the guy increased it from $300.00 to $400.00. I must have missed that. I wonder why the increase if there were no bidders... Thanks for the info David!!!

camarokids
07-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow, the guy increased it from $300.00 to $400.00. I must have missed that. I wonder why the increase if there were no bidders... Thanks for the info David!!!

I am not sure ?? but a few days ago I emailed the seller to ask if he was going to accept paypal . See other thread on the benefits of using paypal . Then the next thing I know he raised the price .

Canseco was selling his everyday gamers on his website for $265 and $275 . Like Jason and Dan say the prices vary . I would spend in the area of $200 for a nice gamer if not a little more . I feel the HR bat listed should sell for less than other HR bats due to the signature and inscription are sloppy compared to the others . see thread below for pics of HR bats 403, 406 and 410 .

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=45415#post45415

indyred
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
I really like the SAM Devil Rays bat on ebay of the one's out there. I know that seller had it listed before and sold it outside of ebay, making a few people upset that they didn't let the auction go. Must not have gotten paid for it. There is a thread on the boards about it somewhere.

Ozric
07-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info. The Sam bat is beautiful. I found the thread you referenced regarding it. It appears that a number of forum members were interested in it before. It will be funny to see what happens this time around as I'm sure a number of us will be watching. I wonder how many of those who missed out the first time will be e-mailing him to end it early this time around. Let's hope he allows it to take it's course and see what it's value really is considering the amount of interest it has created coupled with who might be bidding on it.

indyred
07-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Did any of the Jose fans in here get the SAM Devil Rays bat? Looks like it got some nice action and went for almost $300. No bids on the #403 bat. I wonder why the seller jacked up the opening bid price, all that does scare of any bidding wars.

Ozric
07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Yep, it was me... I have always been partial to the Sam bats. Overpaid I'm sure, but it looks beautiful. I was only looking to add one Canseco to my collection and I cannot imagine finding a nicer looking one than that.

camarokids
07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Two things I did not like about the Sam Bat, there for I did not bid ...

1) The way his uniform number is written on the ends, looked sloppy
2) No date of manufacture and weight , length, etc . That's usually found on the barrel end of Sam Bats .

I do however have a pic of Canseco holding two Sam bats that appear to have nothing written on the ends (in a Yankees uni) . All the Sam Bats I own have this info written on the end .

Could Canseco have ordered his bats, with out the writing?

Anybody own any Sam Bats w/out the writing on the barrel end ???
What are your thoughts on these bats missing the writing ????
Also thoughts on the #33 on the ends????

Nnunnari
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I own an early Canseco gamer that came directly from Canseco with a sloppy "33" written on the knob, I have seen other Canseco gamers w/ the same careless looking "33."

Canseco44
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
My personal thoughts on this are that these bats could be BP bats. I owned one almost identical to the one in this thread. I think it may have been the one everyone talked about seeing before. It was well used but had no pine tar on it. It had the Canada sticker and 33 on the knob but the barrel end was cut straight across. I was unsure of mine until I found the pic shown above of Canseco holding an almost identical bat.

camarokids
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I own an early Canseco gamer that came directly from Canseco with a sloppy "33" written on the knob, I have seen other Canseco gamers w/ the same careless looking "33."

Do you care to post a pic of your #33 , it will good have for future reference, to be able to compare....

There were pics months ago on a different thread, I remember seeing of a Cooper Canseco and the second three (in 33) was sloppy . Not as sloppy as the Sam Bat .

Maybe cause he is a lefty ????

Sid Fernandez signs his name upside down (lefty) . That was really cool to watch him sign his name....

Ozric
07-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I have been on the beach for a week without internet service and just got back in town today. Quick thoughts and I will not beat this to death... David, is this the same bat that you referenced in the earlier thread about ending the auction early? I'm just curious as you bid on the earlier listing and indicated that you were bummed when it ended early, but then changed your mind about this re-listing and did not bid at all. Why the sudden change of heart if it is the same bat? Was the listing different? Also, why the assumption that it is a batting practice bat? Is there any evidence that would indicate he did not use the non marked ends in an actual game other than speculation or lack of photo matched proof? I know the Canseco expert expressed remorse in that same thread that he sold a bat similar to this one. Just curious as I would like to qualify if this is an actual game used bat or a batting practice bat...

camarokids
07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Ozric,
I don't think the ends were pictured originally, or it could be a different bat . Viewing the pictures on ebay , I did not like the way the numbers were written and the missing writing on the barrel end.

However ,since the auction has ended I have been looking for more examples of Jose's writing and re-looking at the examples I own . I think the Sam Bat you have , has Jose's writing on the ends . I am in the process of trying to save for a fairly large purchase . So, I wasn't prepared to go $300.00 for the Canseco Sam Bat this time around .

Absolutely , I would like to own a Canseco Sam Bat as you have .

As far as the bat missing the writing on the end . I copied a picture off ebay . Look below , and earlier in thread .

I think a BP bat should still be considered game used , maybe a game used bat would/should usually carry a premium over the BP bat. Depending on the player , it might not even matter due to supply and demand .

Ozric
07-29-2007, 06:37 PM
David, thanks for the reply. I knew you would answer promptly. The info is much appreciated. Does anyone have an example of a Jose Sam bat that has the bat info on the end??? I know that Sam bats typically have the info on the end, maybe all of Jose Sam bats were without them though...

Canseco44
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2310457890101432395TJFYkb

Hey Ozric. I was the one who posted about having a bat like this one I sold in the past. My thoughts on it being a BP bat were solely from the examples I have. It could be game used. Every SAM bat I have ever owned(besides the one stated earlier) has had the the factory writing on the end. I you want to look at the example I have you can click on the link above. This is the writing on the end of his 400th Homerun bat. I had another SAM bat that I let Jose use and it got stolen, but it had the same writing as this one. I also would hardly consider myself a Canseco expert. If you are looking for a nice Canseco gamer, let me know. I might sell one of mine. My email address is spideyman79@yahoo.com

Todd