PDA

View Full Version : Bench Mitt On Ebay

Eric
01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Forum members

I received an email from a reader who pointed out some interesting questions about an ebay item
Ebay Item number: 8750731065
Johnny Bench Game Used Catcher's Mitt Cincinnati Reds (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8750731065&ssPageName=ADME:B:DS:US:28)
Here's the description
You are bidding on a Rawlings Heart of the Hide Gold Glove catcher's mitt of Johnny Bench. It is a PRO-LTF. Has the numbers HBL01 on the left thumb. It has been hand signed by Johnny Bench on the left thumb. Glove has light use and has been broken in. Overall excellent condition. Glove was obtained directly from Johnny Bench LOA concluded. A Johnny Bench Game Used Glove recently sold for over $25,000.00 in a recent national auction. Johnny Bench played for the Cincinnati Reds from 1967 to 1983. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989. Free shipping to continental U.S. only with Buy It Now, otherwise shipping is $25.00. Please email with any questions.
http://home.comcast.net/~zanebats/jb1.JPG
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the email i received from a forum reader

Eric,

I wanted to give you a heads up on the Johnny Bench "game used" glove currently on ebay (#8750731065). Basically, it is impossible for this glove to be game used as Bench retired in 1983 and the glove based upon the codes shown in the picture was not manufactured until 1986.
I contacted Dennis Esken to ask his opinion of the glove and he pointed out "The Bench mitt was made in december of 1986.
Bench retired in I believe 1983"
I contacted the seller on monday and gave him the info. I told him to contact Dennis for more info. The seller wrote me back and said "OK Thanks." We have since had two other exchanges but the item is still up on ebay. It's now Wednesday and I did the responsible thing and gave the seller the info and the chance to take down the item. Now it's time to point this out to board members so no one spends money on something they think is something else.

Eric

Eric
01-19-2006, 10:34 AM
This post is not looking to start trouble- it is for educational purposes for forum members.

Got an opinion from Bob Clevenhagen at Rawlings on the Johnny Bench mitt
Eric

Couple of things are off as far as this being game used. The glove was made in a year ending in a 6 It couldn't have been 76 as I hadn't developed the LTF at that time. My guess is 1986 but could have been a 1996. And I believe he retired in 83. I think too that he only wore a RL or a RL-1. Hope that helps.

Good Luck Bob

Eric
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Seller has taken down the item.
Eric