PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Scott Brosius 2000 World Series HR jersey in American Memorabilia.....

kylehess10
07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Currently in the American Memorabilia auction, there is a Scott Brosius game worn jersey supposidly from his homerun hit in the 2000 World Series. When compared to a picture of him running the bases after hitting the homerun, you can clearly see the the pinstripes do not match up at all. The pinstripes on the jersey in the auction are about an inch farther to the right than the pinstripes in the WS picture.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=37086

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/brosiuspics.jpg

suave1477
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Kyle I have to disagree with you, at the same time though the actual picture of Brosius is a little bit small so it is hard to tell but from what it looks like if you follow the pinstripes on Brosius left side going up to the NY logo it looks like they match.
I could be wrong though, just going by the pics you provided.

TNTtoys
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
All,

I think Kyle is correct. I thought that what I saw was the pinstripe splitting the "Y" in half in the Getty photo. When blown up, that is exactly what is happening. The AMI Brosius jersey has the pinstripes in the wrong place.

Nick

both-teams-played-hard
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
The pinstripes do not match.

suave1477
07-18-2007, 04:07 PM
TnT good eye I was actually looking at the bottom of the NY where the pinstripes meet. If you look there they do match, but your right at the top they don't.
Interesting!!! which means the NY logo was applied to one of the Jerseys which was a little off.
As I mentioned if you notice the bottom of the logo on both Jerseys match.

Could be the AMI Jersey may be really be a Game Issued

CollectGU
07-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Suave,

The ;letter with it from Steiner states it is game used so there goes the game issued theory...Maybe you can find out from your Steiner connections the answer?

Thanks,
Dave

Number9
07-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Players have more than one of each style for a World Series right? My understanding is there always at least two of a style, in case a backup is needed for whatever reason. I own one Yankees World Series jersey and it shows a ton of use so I think teams give players one new jersey and put a patch on a regular season jersey to have a backup. And the one used each game just depends on which one the player grabs, or if the equipment guy hangs one up outside the locker it just depends on which one he grabs.
I would also venture a guess that a lot of players, especially on the winning team, or for personal reasons, keep one of the jerseys.
I know for example that I read that Paul O'Neill kept his last white jersey from the 2001 World Series, even made a comment about liking how it had dirt on it and that is how a jersey should be, yet Steiner sold a white one as well.

TNTtoys
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Players have more than one of each style for a World Series right? My understanding is there always at least two of a style, in case a backup is needed for whatever reason.

I think the issue here is not the jersey. I would accept the fact that the AMI jersey is a real Brosius World Series jersey. It has the right tagging. It has rock solid provenance.

The problem with this jersey specifically is the fact that it is being marketed as THE jersey Brosius hit the home run with... which is false.

This is the difference between buying the jersey worn during a significant moment and one worn at some other time. Apples and oranges. And the price that it is going for right now reflects a serious premium, attributable to THAT moment.

TNTtoys
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Just a brief follow-up. I phoned AMI to point out the problem with the description for the jersey. I explained to them that what they have is a real Brosius World Series Yankees-Steiner jersey. What they don't have is the jersey he wore to hit the home run, as the photos of him hitting the home run show him in a slightly different jersey. They told me that they would look into it.

suave1477
07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Suave,

The ;letter with it from Steiner states it is game used so there goes the game issued theory...Maybe you can find out from your Steiner connections the answer?

Thanks,
Dave

Hello Dave,

Well the Game Issued theory is not completely out the window but there has been other variables brought up here whcih could also be the answer such as it being a back up Jersey and also being used during the series.

To question Steiner, I don't know if they would be able to give any more of a different answer here then has already been provided. Steiner as far as I know tries to make the best possible judgement given the information by the Yankees.

Also the question here is, was it the actual Jersey worn for the big moment which Steiner doesn't claim it to be, AMI does!!!

So the questions really need to be directed towards AMI which TnT has already taken the proper steps to do so.

TNTtoys
07-19-2007, 03:38 PM
All,

The problem is not with Steiner or their LOA of the jersey. I am sure that their LOA states that the jersey is "World Series game used" and do believe that it is an accurate statement.

The problem is with whomever made the quantum leap from "jersey worn during one of three games in the 2000 World Series" to "actual jersey he wore in that World Series when he hit that home run." Sure, he probably had more than 1 World Series jersey made... but the buyer is getting a different jersey to the one this is purported as being.

Don't know who is at fault here:

The consigner: did this person provide text to AMI that the jersey is the home run jersey?
AMI: did they embellish the text? did they take any phone calls made to them regarding this jersey seriously?
The authenticator: if Kyle and I can find a photo of Brosius hitting the home run in all of 5 minutes on the internet, why can't the authenticator?

All I know is that someone is going to severely overpay for a jersey tonight and there is very little that is going to be done about it.

hblakewolf
07-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I suggest contacting Victor Moreno or Susan Kieta at AMI and find out what is included in the LOA from their crack team of authenticators. Rather then speculate if the information is simply in the description or actually in the Steiner and/or AMI LOA, a phone call or email may easily put closure to this.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

JETEFAN
07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe the "NY" shifted when one of AMI's models wore it for catalog pictures ! :D :eek:

TNTtoys
07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I suggest contacting Victor Moreno or Susan Kieta at AMI and find out what is included in the LOA...

Howard Wolf

Here is a copy of the Steiner LOA. In no way shape or form does it mention Brosius having hit any home runs while wearing this jersey. Also, it's been bid up to approx. $1,800 now.

Eric
07-20-2007, 12:00 AM
AMI changed the description (though nowhere in the listing does it say "updated item description") I wonder if they informed the people who bid on it thinking it was the home run jersey.

Let us know when you get the "thank you" from AMI for assisting.
Eric

kingjammy24
07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
here is another 2000 brosius gamer from steiner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180139804356

interesting to note the different styles of manufacturer tags compared to the one on AMI as well as the lack of a strip tag on the ebay one.

anyway, funny how this was discovered solely because kyle decided to poke around. makes you wonder how many items slip through the cracks.
i know i don't look at every single item in an auction to see if it's legit. (something i've got in common with lampson). given that the steiner loa made no mention whatsoever of any home run, i wonder who concocted the story. maybe AMI meant the jersey was worn by tony giese to hit a home run in the backroom.

speaking of stories, did anyone know that alomar played for the '93 orioles?
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=36386

and palmeiro, etc. the names mentioned are from the '97 orioles but who has to time to check a roster. a story here, a story there. bills need to be paid. elkhorn estates doesn't come cheap afterall.

rudy.

pjbmd
07-20-2007, 07:43 PM
i'm not so sure that the ebay jersey is a 2000 brosius gamer. it certainly appears to be a game used yankee pinstripe worn by #18, but in my experience it is the 2002 yankee jerseys that usually don't have a year tag. this one is clearly missing the year tag, if another one hasn't been ripped off
in 2002 jeff weaver worn #18, but he wore a size 50 with added length
just my thoughts
pjb