PDA

View Full Version : Mike Francesa

Yankwood
07-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Did anyone catch Mike Francesa's rant on collecting game used equipment yesterday on his show? Totally ignorant and poorly informed, he nonetheless climbed on his soapbox to blast the hobby.

skipcareyisfat
07-18-2007, 10:16 AM
We don't get them here in Atlanta. What did he say?

Eric
07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I have heard Mike and the Mad Dog talk about that kind of stuff before. Last summer they went off on a "Why would you want someone's smelly shirt: rant. Was this the same kind of thing?
Eric

Yankwood
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Basically, just calling anyone who would collect "garbage" like Jeter's cleats an idiot. "And why would you even want a smelly used jersey? And who can tell if a bat was really used anyway?" Whereas he had some valid points about authenticating used equipment and "phony" autographs, he took it one step further and really showed his ignorance questioning why anyone would even want it. "What'ya gonna do, hang it on your wall? An' den what?, Look at it?" You know, stuff like that. Basically calling us all a bunch of morons. Just because he doesn't do it. Not very well informed at all. Some guy called and asked, isn't that what you do with a painting? Hang it on your wall and look at it? He didn't have an answer, just kept laughing that snide laugh of his like he was belittling what we do. It's a hobby, for God's sake. I wanted to call him and ask him why he chooses to gorge himself with fattening foods. How much money is that guy spending on cannolis and cream puffs? The answer is, I could care less. You spend your money how you choose and I'll spend my money how I decide to, as long as it's legal, who cares?

suave1477
07-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I dont get these 2 I find it interesting because normally when I have heard them they make a lot of good sense, but when they stick there foot in there mouth they shove it in big time. :confused:

both-teams-played-hard
07-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I have heard Mike and the Mad Dog talk about that kind of stuff before.

Mad Dog Russo has needed a fact-checker for many years. I called his radio show 21 years ago(mp3 recording):http://www.both-teams-played-hard.com/chrisrusso.html

Kenny Smith Was a 40% career three-point shooter at Carolina! That's like saying a .400 hitter can't hit...

JimCaravello
07-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I love both those guys and am fortunate to have the YES Network with my Direct TV package. I watch them quite a bit if I get home early in the evening before they leave the air - or sometimes I'll catch them at lunch at the house.

I agree with them about 95% of the time - every once in a while, they will get on a topic that I just totally disagree with them on. I didn't see Mike's escapades on the game used topic. These guys are celebrities, so collecting is really "beneath them" to some extent - why would you want Jeter's bat when you can shake his hand twice a month? I might react the same way if I was on the air every day and was meeting and greeting all these sports stars on a daily basis. I guarantee you they both have stuff ratholed away that they have received from players - probably auto'd baseballs and stuff - I would put money on it.

Remember - at the end of the day - they are entertainers and its their job to create controversy at times. I would venture to say, as big a Yankees an as Mike is, if he would walk into my "sports room" - I think he would say "this is pretty cool"...............

David
07-18-2007, 02:12 PM
99.9 percent chance Francesa has an autographed ball, photo or other sports memento displayed in his office or home.