PDA

View Full Version : LS bat question for the experts

whatupyos
07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Hello forum members:

Can someone with LS knowledge please inform me if this is common on LS bats. I recently won a game used Eric Byrnes bat from his A's days on EBAY. The LS label looks correct with the 125 without the underline...model M110, but instead of powerized written by the label, it says Select Maple. Is this a common practice on LS maple bats. It's not a LS M9, its regular old LS. I have just never seen it before. I have a LS Brad Fuller bat that says powerized but its not maple. At the back of the barrell opposite of Byrnes name and team name and model number, it has the maple leaf that says TPX and then the MLB logo, although you can barely make them out because its hammered with use. Just wanted to know if anyone owns or has seen legit LS bats that say select maple, because I have never seen it before, but I'm still relatively new to the hobby and am lacking bat knowledge. Thank you all in advance for any info provided. I'm not trying to question validity of the bat being legit, I feel the seller is good, I just am seeking clarification.

Aaron

stlbats
07-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Hello forum members:

Can someone with LS knowledge please inform me if this is common on LS bats. I recently won a game used Eric Byrnes bat from his A's days on EBAY. The LS label looks correct with the 125 without the underline...model M110, but instead of powerized written by the label, it says Select Maple. Is this a common practice on LS maple bats. It's not a LS M9, its regular old LS. I have just never seen it before. I have a LS Brad Fuller bat that says powerized but its not maple. At the back of the barrell opposite of Byrnes name and team name and model number, it has the maple leaf that says TPX and then the MLB logo, although you can barely make them out because its hammered with use. Just wanted to know if anyone owns or has seen legit LS bats that say select maple, because I have never seen it before, but I'm still relatively new to the hobby and am lacking bat knowledge. Thank you all in advance for any info provided. I'm not trying to question validity of the bat being legit, I feel the seller is good, I just am seeking clarification.

Aaron

Aaron,
Yes this was common on LVS bats in 2004 and maybe before that. This was LVS maple style before they came out with the M9.

Thanks
Jason
ripken8@bellsouth.net

Birdbats
07-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Aaron,

Jason is correct. H&B stopped branding maple bats after 2003 and started the "Select Maple" label in 2004. Sometime mid-season, they introduced the M9 label and retired the Select Maple tagline. H&B also briefly had a "Select Beech" bat during early 2004; it eventually became the B9.

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/LS%201980-Current.htm

jrhrlh
07-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I have a similar question. I own a LS R205 Keith Osik Pirates bat w/ the oval TPX label but where the Powerized should be is the logo-Air Dry. If you do a search in the forums for Osik there are pictures of the exact bat I have. The images may not show it but there are signs of heavy game use(cracked bat,stitch and ball marks,pine tar). I just would like to know if there are any other examples or pictures available of this type of labeling. Thank you for any info.

Jack

indyred
07-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I've seen some Posada game used bats with air dry in place of the powerized. I'm not an expert. Not sure exactly what it means. The B9 model is also interesting. Does Louisville Slugger still make the B9 and air dry labeled bats? I wonder if these type of bats, along with select maple branded one's carry a little premium in price. You don't see many of them around. I did see a Carlos Lee LS B9 not long ago.

autographedgamers
07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Air-dry

07-21-2007, 03:55 AM
I went to the Cincinnati Reds team store at the end of the 2004 season and was able to purchase a Juan Castro bat with the Air Dry indication. The only others I have seen since then are Posada and Jeter. At Hillerich & Bradsby, they told me that long ago, they used to dry the wood in the outdoor air. Eventually, they started to kiln dry the wood to speed up the process. They had requests for the air dried wood since there was some belief that that air dried wood performed better than the kiln dried wood, so they started offering it in limited quantities. When H&B did their experiments on the two kinds of wood, it was found that both performed the same, so there was no advantage to either kind of wood and it was strictly a psychological advantage to use the Air Dry bats.

I also picked up an Adam Dunn Select Beech bat during this same time. I have found a few other Select Beech bats since then.

Tom Duino

jrhrlh
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks to all that have reponded to my question. Now I ask, Why was this version not listed in the recent Guide to LS book? Thanks again.

Jack

twarman17
10-18-2017, 03:43 PM
I recently obtained a GU Jeter bat that is a P72 model with the "Air Dry" stamp. The bat has a great autograph, mota stick on the handle, and moderate use on hitting surface. Also includes a LOA from a former player saying it is a GU bat that was gifted from Jeter. I collect Cubs and do not follow the Yankees market. Any idea on value in terms of whether the "Air Dry" variant is more or less valuable to comparable Jeter bats? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tom