PDA

View Full Version : 2003 GU Peyton Manning Helmet...

aeneas01
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Peyton Manning 2003 Game Used Helmet Upper Deck COA
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peyton-Manning-2003-GAME-USED-helmet-Upper-Deck-COA_W0QQitemZ160134580795QQihZ006QQcategoryZ24959Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"This auction is for the Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning game used Hemet. The helmet shows slight game use and comes from the 2003 season. It comes with theThis certificate of authenticity, AND the original redemption card both from Upper Deck. One of the most trusted names in the hobby today."

==============================

there's a slight problem with this "2003" gem - manning hasn't worn this riddell helmet model since the 2001 season. it would be interesting to know if the coa the seller mentions also claims that this helmet is from the 2003 season - i've emailed the seller with this very question so let's see what he says...

manning did wear the model appearing in the auction (a riddell vsr4) from 1998 (rookie year) through 2001. however, given how the helmet in the auction is dressed, it could only be from the 2001 season - more specifically, it could only be from games 2-8 of the 2001 season.

prior to 09.11.2001, nfl teams didn't sport american flags on their helmets as can be seen in the auction - these flags were added after 9/11 as a memorial and have remained ever since. further, manning changed his facemask halfway through the 2001 season to a custom model which is different than the mask in the auction.

the helmet in the auction does seem to be consistent with manning's 2001 lid (games 2-8) as far as the white paint job and the hardcup riddell chinstrap with blue lettering is concerned (although manning was known to wear an anti-abrasive sleeve on his chinstrap that doesn't appear in the auction). but the decals, the decal positioning and the fact that manning's helmet is extremely easy to replicate makes me very skeptical to say the least.

speaking of manning's helmet, i noticed that the same unused facemask drill holes appear on his helmet year after year (1998-2001) - this would seem to imply that a) manning stuck with the same helmet for quite a while or b) the equipment manager either screwed up drilling the facemask holes every time manning got a new lid or he felt it was important to add extra holes to each new helmet for "future use". i think most would agree that (a) seems the more plausible.

i mention this because i always get a kick out of the way some sports memorabilia dealers would have collectors believe that players are issued and use many helmets during their careers - that players change helmets frequently and that they all have "game issued" backups ready to go at a moment's notice. i guess this makes it easier for some dealers to explain the ocean of "game issued, game worn helmets" that flood the market.

yet it always seems that whenever an equipment manager or a player is asked about this topic in an interview, they usually state the opposite - that most players do not go through many helmets at all during their careers. sure, there are exceptions, but the reality is that for the most part game used helmets are rare, especially those belonging to stars.

here are a few shots of manning's vsr4 lid through the years... - in most photos found on the net, the hole can't be seen because it's obscured by the facemask bars. but at the correct angle you can clearly see them...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/1999_1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/1999_2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/2000_1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/2000_2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/2001_1.jpg

beantown
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Any response from the seller? It bothers me that the COA doesn't include detailed pictures of the helmet it’s suppose to accompany/authenticate....coa states the helmet was worn in 2003, but Manning was wearing a Revolution in 2003 and 2002 (already stated by aeneas01). Staying with aeneas01 years of 1998-2001, I noticed ANOTHER glaring issued with this Manning helmet....the "horse shoe" decal placement. The helmet on EBay shows the decal in location that I could not photo match. The helmet Manning was wearing during 1998-2001 had the "horse shoe" decal just above the ear hole and in closer proximity to the facemask. Also, I included a photo of Manning wearing a helmet in 2001 that in the rear center strip, shows where the helmet is maybe filled with "air?? The EBay one does not have that!!! aeneas01 can you chime in hear as you seem better versed on the correct helmet terms. Here are the photos I found vs. the helmet on EBay....thoughts????

aeneas01
07-22-2007, 06:24 AM
that's some nice work beantown - and fantastic photos to boot! and, yeah, as i mentioned in my first post i'm not too crazy about the decals nor their positioning either. on another thread i mentioned that most (all?) of the team decals available on ebay are nothing but close facsimilies of what teams actually use and, in most cases, don't hold up to scutiny when closely compared to the real deal.

for example, the bolt decals the chargers used on their white helmets were discussed on one of the lambeauleeper threads - if you compare the knockoff bolt decals to the real deal you will notice that the knockoffs are wider and not cut to the ink, i.e., they have a transparent border.

in the case of this manning helmet, the horseshoe logo on the ebay helmet looks to be bigger than what the colts actually use - which could be another example of the knockoffs differing from the originals.

dcrobt
01-13-2008, 12:06 PM
actually, he wore an af-2 not a vsr4 like he did at ut.
now he wears the revo. this helmet is def not a gamer nor did peyton ever see it.

aeneas01
01-14-2008, 12:14 AM
actually, he wore an af-2 not a vsr4 like he did at ut.
now he wears the revo. this helmet is def not a gamer nor did peyton ever see it.

manning wore an af2 for a short while and then switched to a vsr4 - then he moved on to the revolution. the fact that the helmet being discussed is a vsr4 model doesn't disqualify it from being a p. manning helmet....